Saturday League: Cup reports - Falsgrave shock West Pier while Edgehill see off Newlands

editorial image

Division two side Falsgrave set up a final date with Edgehill after they stunned division one champions West Pier at Oliver’s Mount.



FALSGRAVE 1 (Tolliday) West Pier 0

Billy Johnson’s Falsgrave side produced a huge upset by knocking out division one champions West Pier after a hard-fought 1-0 win in blustery conditions at Oliver’s Mount.

Pier weren’t at their best in tricky conditions, but Falsgrave’s workrate and determination edge them through following Rich Tolliday’s 75th minute tap-in.

Tolliday’s strike shook Andy Spivey’s Pier into action and they forged forward looking for a crucial leveller, but home stopper Richard Curtis made some good saves and Falsgrave battled to hold firm and seal a memorable win.

Johnson said: “My full team worked so hard. We had loads of chances and they never got into the game until after we scored.

“It’ll be great to meet Edgehill in the final.”

Johnson picked out defender Matty Whitehall as his side’s man of the match.

Disappointed Pier boss Spivey said: “Basically it was a poor performance. We never got to grips with conditions and we had too many below-par performances.

“Credit to Falsgrave, they defended well and I can’t say they didn’t deserve it.”

EDGEHILL 4 (Ramm 2, Warnett, A Coulson) NEWLANDS 0

Edgehill will meet Falsgrave in the final after they cruised past Newlands, beating Shaun Mancrief’s men for the third week running.

Steve Clegg’s men were ahead after just five minutes, Joel Ramm capitalising on a mistake in the Newlands defence to score.

Their lead was doubled in similar circumstances just 10 minutes later after another error in the away side’s defence allowed Aaron Jenking to feed Ramm, who controlled well and fired in.

Newlands rallied after the break, but it wasn’t enough to stop Edgehill extending their lead when substitute Phil Warnett atoned a shocking miss by finishing well to make it 3-0.

The scoring was completed by a rare right-footed strike by striker Alec Coulson.

Dean Craig was named as the home side’s man of the match.




Matty Dawson’s Seamer side moved through to the next round of the League Cup after a comfortable 4-0 win at home to Flixton.

Seamer opted to play with the strong wind at their backs for the first half in a bid to get on top of their clash against second division promotion-chasers Flixton.

This never materialised as both sides cancelled each other out until the 43rd minute, when Ali Caw broke the deadlock.

Seamer improved after the interval, despite playing into the wind, and they led 2-0 after Darren Clough played a neat one-two with Jake Moore before finishing well.

An own goal gave them a 3-0 lead, before Joe Tiffany completed the scoring with a neat left-footed strike.

Greg Chadwick was Seamer’s man of the match at centre-back.