Saturday League - Cup reports: Filey and Edgehill to contest League Cup Final while Falsgrave move into Trophy Final

editorial image

Edgehill beat Ayton while Filey edged out Eastfield to move into the League Cup Final on Wednesday, while Falsgrave won 4-1 on penalties against FC Soba after a 5-5 draw to set up a clash with third division Scalby Reserves in the League Trophy Final.



EDGEHILL 2 (Jenking, Allick) AYTON 0

Steve Clegg’s Edgehill sealed a 2-0 win against Ayton to move into the League Cup Final.

In a game where the home side enjoyed the lion’s share of possession, they had to wait until the half-hour mark to break the deadlock.

Good work down the left flank saw the ball played inside to veteran Paul Allick, who beat his man and moved to the byline before crossing for Aaron Jenking to head in at the near post.

Edgehill’s second came after 60 minutes, this time Allick netting himself after a strong run with the ball from the halfway-line.

Boss Clegg picked out Allick as his side’s star man in the centre of the park.

EASTFIELD 0 FILEY TOWN 2 (Cappleman, Sugden)

Filey Town will meet Edgehill in two cup finals this season after they beat Eastfield 2-0 at Eastway to set up a League Cup showdown with Steve Clegg’s men.

Dave Brannan’s Filey edged clear after 40 minutes when Ben Briggs’ cross found Lee Cappleman, who controlled well and finished neatly.

Eastfield enjoyed a short spell of dominance after the break, but Town doubled their lead after 65 minutes.

Liam Sugden managed to find space on the edge of the box to fire into the top corner for 2-0.

Nick Hegarty’s Eastfield again tried to get forward and apply some pressure on the Filey defence, but a series of blocks and clearances kept the home side at bay.



FC SOBA 5 (Turner, Spivey, Rose, Vasey pen, Rackham) FALSGRAVE 5 (Anderson 2, Tolliday, Brady, Smith) FALSGRAVE WON 4-1 ON PENALTIES

Billy Johnson’s Falsgrave held their nerve from the penalty spot to edge past Soba and set up a League Trophy final date against Scalby Reserves.

Soba led early on through Fadil Spivey, but Falsgrave rallied and two Mikey Anderson goals and a Rich Tolliday strike put the away side in command at 3-1.

Mike Keld’s men gave themselves a lifeline when Matty Turner bundled in to make it 3-1 just before the half-time whistle.

Soba boss Keld had some stern words for his players at the interval, and they were still ringing in the ears of his players when Falsgrave stretched their lead to 4-2, Paul Brady notching with a superb, acrobatic scissor-kick volley past Dave Oxley in the Soba net.

The division three title winners weren’t done yet though, and they gave themselves hope when skipper Georgie Rose capitalised on an error by the Falsgrave keeper to bundle in for 4-3.

With the clock ticking down and with Falsgrave looking good for a spot in the final, Soba front man Terence Breckon wriggled free of Kurt Williamson, who brought the Soba man down and gave the referee no choice but to point to the penalty spot and Liam Vasey stroked in to send the game into extra-time.

The first half of extra-time passed without either side managing to find a goal, but Falsgrave struck first shortly after the switch-around, Cameron Smith sneaking in behind the Soba rearguard and nudging past the on-rushing Oxley.

Just as it looked like Falsgrave were heading for a 5-4 win, a Soba corner was nodded in at the front post by Craig Rackham for 5-5, and this entertaining, end-to-end clash headed to the penalty shoot-out.

Williamson atoned for his earlier error by netting the first penalty, as did Vasey, coolly slotting in his second spot-kick of the day for 1-1.

Man mountain Nick Ellis slotted his penalty in, before Soba’s Matty Turner steered his effort well over the bar to give Falsgrave the 2-1 lead.

Paul Brady made no mistake from the spot and the pressure mounted on Soba.

That pressure made its mark as Rackham slammed his effort against the bar, before man of the match Gav McGough sealed Falsgrave’s win, beating Oxley to make it 4-1.