Saturday League: Cup reports - Newlands keep their nerve to make the last four

Saturday League reports by Daniel Gregory
Saturday League reports by Daniel Gregory

Newlands, Edgehill, Filey Town and Ayton all made it through to the last four of the Harbour Cup.


WEST PIER 1 (Ramos) NEWLANDS PARK 1 (Luntley) (Newlands won 4-2 on penalties)

Newlands held their nerve from the penalty spot to maintain their unbeaten record and make it through to the semi-finals of the Harbour Cup at West Pier.

The away side have been scoring goals for fun so far this season, but Andy Spivey’s West Pier made life difficult for the visitors.

Following a tight first half, Pier took the lead when Dane Ramos angled his free-kick past Newlands stopper Sean Pinder.

The visitors weren’t done just yet though and levelled in fortuitous circumstances when Ben Luntley’s cross found its way into the back of the net.

Pier’s Daz Crawford was sent off after getting his second yellow card with 10 minutes left on the clock, but neither side could get the winner and the game went to the penalty spot.

Pier missed their first two as Martin Cooper and Gaz Thomas missed their efforts and Pier never recovered.

Newlands boss Shaun Mancrief said; “Fair play to Pier, they gave us a good battle and we haven’t been used to that this season.”

Pier boss Spivey paid tribute to his back four. He added: “We’re bitterly disappointed to lose the game like that.

“It was a fair result in the end. I was really pleased with the lads, especially the back four.”

FILEY TOWN 6 (P Dickens 3, Pinder 3) EASTFIELD 2 (Price, OG)

Phil Dickens and James Pinder both smashed in hat-tricks as Filey Town moved into the semi-finals after beating Eastfield 6-2.

Town were quickly into a 3-0 lead as Dickens grabbed the first before Pinder fired in twice.

Danny Price headed in to make it 3-1 but Town led 4-1 as Pinder completed his hat-trick heading into the break.

A John Emmerson own goal gave Eastfield hope but Dickens netted again to make it 5-2 before the target man smashed in from 30 yards to complete the scoring.

Town boss Jay Taylor said: “We were never in any danger really. We played really well, especially our front two, who were outstanding.”


Edgehill’s first team won the battle of their two sides as they beat Danny I’Anson’s reserve side 2-0 at Staxton.

Steve Clegg and Alec Coulson’s men led after just five minutes when midfielder Shaun Dodson smashed in from 25 yards.

It was 2-0 after 30 minutes as tricky winger Aaron Jenking chipped over the advancing reserve team keeper Darren Hodgson.

I’Anson’s men improved after the break and made life a little more difficult for their first team, but couldn’t find the breakthrough.

Clegg said: “They really did push us, especially in the second half.

“I suppose they wanted to prove a point and show that they’re good enough to play for us.

“I think they’d be up there in the top five in the first division, so it was a good result for us.”

Dodson and Danny White stood out for Edgehill’s first team, while Tom Hicken was outstanding at the back for the reserves.

FALSGRAVE 1 AYTON 2 (Roberts, Peel)

The last four was completed by Ayton, who won 2-1 at Falsgrave to advance.

They led 1-0 after 15 minutes when good work from Alex Bowman set up instrumental player-manager Steve Roberts to head in.

Falsgrave levelled matters up, but Ayton weren’t to be denied and took the lead as substitute Dan Peel notched the winner to fire his side into the semi-finals.

Roberts singled out full-back Matty Sheader as his side’s man of the match.


COMMERCIAL 5 WEST PIER RESERVES 5 (Thorpe 2, Speight pen, Weetman, Scotter) (aet - Commercial won 4-1 on penalties)

The youngsters of Commercial were spot-on in their penalty shoot-out win against West Pier Reserves.

Two goals from veteran Ray Thorpe, a strike from man of the match and a Rob Speight penalty ensured the game finished 4-4 after 90 minutes and headed into extra-time.

Commercial took the lead in the first half of extra-time, but Chris Weetman levelled after the break to make it 5-5 and send the game to the penalty shoot-out.

Thorpe and Weetman missed their penalties and Commercial held their nerve to win 4-1.


SCALBY RESERVES 2 (Turley, Jordan penalty) AYTON RESREVES 2 (Stubbings, Friett) (Ayton won 5-4 on penalties)

Another cup game was decided from the penalty spot as Scalby Reserves and Ayton Reserves couldn’t be separated.

Scalby led 2-0 through goals from Nick Turley and a Taylor Jordan penalty, but Ayton fought back after the break and a stunning goal from Tyson Stubbings gave Ayton hope.

They were level soon after when their French winger Kieran Friett showed Gallic flair to fire in a superb strike from distance for 2-2.

This took the game into penalties and Scalby veteran Jez Clifford was the unlucky man to miss from the spot as Ayton stopper Tom Peacock saved superbly to hand Ayton the 5-4 win.

Both keepers were named as their sides resepctive star men, Peacock shining for Ayton while Scalby’s stand-in keeper Kev Sunderland made several stunning saves for Jeffrey Brader’s home side.