SATURDAY LEAGUE CUP REPORTS: Pier and Scalby spot on in cup wins

Stu Dickens is sent tumbling in Filey's win against Hunmanby. Pictures by Steve Lilly.
Stu Dickens is sent tumbling in Filey's win against Hunmanby. Pictures by Steve Lilly.

West Pier and Scalby held their nerve from the penalty spot as they progressed in the Harbour Cup.

Pier drew 2-2 at Seamer over 90 minutes.

A wind-assisted Martin Cooper free-kick evaded Seamer keeper Jordan Wood and flew into the net to hand Pier the lead.

Back came Seamer, Harry Holden levelling up after cutting inside his marker and smashing into the top corner.

Both sides spurned further chances after the break, but Pier regained their lead when a deflected free-kick was spilled by Wood and Sean Exley tapped in.

Seamer weren't to be denied though and they sent the game to penalties when Ricky Greening squared to Danny Glendinning tapped home.

Pier scored all five of their pens through Cooper, Neil Thomas, Sean Exley, Kyle Spivey and Will Jenkinson, while Seamer's Dean Craig, Greening, Glendinning and Ali Caw all scored.

Scott Wardman guessed right and dived to his left to deny Seamer player-boss Tommy Adams and seal the 5-4 shoot-out win for Pier.

Tommy Barker, Kyle Spivey and Adie Blake stood out for Pier.

Scalby also held their nerve from the spot as they knocked out Goal Sports.

Goal Sports led within four minutes, Aston Harrison beating a couple of defenders and lashing in.

Scalby had to wait until the 50th minute to level up, Ashley Townley's effort from the edge of the box creeping in.

Sam Medd's Otters then took the lead, Shaun Scales' attempted volley on goal headed in by Craig Rackham.

Goal Sports ensured penalties would be needed when Jake Adams headed in.

While Rob Speight, Rackham, Simon Rigg and Mark Oldroyd all scored for Scalby, Harrison and Niall Prentice both dragged their penalties wide of the target.

Young left-back Callum Randerson was Scalby's man of the match.

Despite his penalty miss, Harrison was Goalsports' star man.

Filey Town held off a battling comeback by derby rivals Hunmanby United to seal a 3-2 win and make it through.

Town were 3-0 up following two good goals from Stu Dickens and then one from Liam Sugden.

Hunmanby got a penalty just before half-time to make it 3-1, Eric Hall lashing home from the spot and then James Pinder made it 3-2 to set up a nervy end to the second half.

United poured forward to try and seal the elusive equaliser, but they couldn't find a way through.

Ben Briggs was Filey's man of the match, while Chris Duley was Hunmanby's star man.

Edgehill enjoyed a more comfortable route to the next round as they cruised to a 7-0 win at Kirkbymoorside Reserves.

After Kirkby spurned an early chance, Edgehill took control and a hat-trick from man of the match Luke Jones, two from skipper Joe Gallagher and goals from Aaron Jenking and Martyn Ferrey wrapped up a comfortable win.

Newlands beat Sinnington 3-2 to go through to the next round.

Ben Luntley, Dan Freer and Leigh Watson bagged the goals for Joe Hakings' side.

Luntley and Jack Hakings were named as the star men for the victors.

Old Vic slumped to an 11-2 defeat at home to a strong Lealholm side.

Lee Sutton scored both of the goals for James Day's side.

Sutton and Kyle Ireland were the star men for Old Vic.

Flamborough beat Division Two side Commercial 5-4 to move into the next round of the League Cup.

Reece Swift bagged a brace for the victors, with their other goals coming from Ben Marshall, Josh Salamjou and Josh Pilmoor.

Commercial battled throughout the contest against higher-league opposition, their goals coming from Adam Smith, Macauley Youngson, Harry Sleightholme and a Matty Rowley penalty.