Saturday League - Cup round-up: Seamer and Edgehill hold their nerve from the spot while Dobson smashes seven in Town win

Seamer managed to hold their nerve from the penalty spot to edge past division one rivals Ayton after the two sides drew 1-1.

Saturday, 25th October 2014, 7:38 pm
Scalby's Jake Scutt clears during their 6-0 defeat at West Pier. Picture: Steve Lilly

Paddy Parke’s Seamer were ahead at the break after dominating the first half, Travis Wood netting for the home side.

Ashley Townley levelled matters up for Ayton, and with neither side capable of taking their chances the game went to a penalty shoot-out.

Seamer bagged all five of their efforts, while Ayton’s Tyson Stubbings saw his spot-kick saved by Seamer man of the match Adam Morris.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

144335c Filey (red) v Hunmanby Picture by Neil Silk 25/10/14

Another side who had to rely on penalties to secure safe passage into the second round were Steve Clegg’s Edgehill, who couldn’t see off Brooklyn after 90 minutes.

After a tight first half, the home side took the lead after 44 minutes, Ricky Greening curling the ball into the top corner from the edge of the box.

Just as it looked like Edgehill were heading through with a 1-0 win, a back-pass to keeper Liam Salt took a bobble over the keeper’s kick and a Brooklyn man took full advantage.

Salt atoned for the mishap as he saved the first Brooklyn pen, and Greening, Danny White, Dean Craig, Carl Hepples and Aaron Jenking all slotted home to send Edgehill through.

Danny White was the home side’s man of the match.

Cameron Dobson smashed in an outstanding seven goals as Filey Town hammered derby rivals Hunmanby United.

Dobson (pictured) bagged the first four goals to put Jay Taylor’s men 4-0 up, before Nathan Vernon made it 5-0.

Dobson’s fifth, a volley after flicking the ball over a defender’s head, followed by a Ben Briggs tap-in ensured Town led 7-0 at half-time.

A Ryan Baldry volley made it 8-0 before Dobson got his sixth and the goal of the game with a stunning overhead-kick.

The impressive Vernon grabbed his second to take the scoreline into double figures before the man of the moment Dobson dinked the ball over the keeper to round-off the scoring with his seventh goal.

Taylor said: “It should’ve been more. We weren’t very clinical in front of goal.”

West Pier dominated from start to finish against depleted second division side Scalby, grabbing three goals in each half in a 6-0 success.

Pier had to wait until the 20th minute to break down the Otters’ defence, Ali Caw sneaking in and finishing with aplomb.

The impressive Chris Nelson made it 2-0 with a rasping effort from a tight angle, with the scores at 3-0 after Gary Thomas calmly swept in from the penalty spot.

Pier continued to enjoy the lion’s share of the ball after the break and second goals for Caw and Nelson along with a Neil Thomas strike confirmed their dominance.

Chris Nelson was in fine form on Pier’s right flank, while Carl Marton put in a determined display at centre-back for Scalby.

Third division newcomers Tennyson pulled off the shock result of the day as they dumped out first division Ryedale after a 4-2 win.

A brace from Sam Mahoney and goals from Clayton Walker and Neil Forsyth handed Nige Trotter’s men the victory.

Trotter singled out goalscorers Forsyth and Walker.

Newlands cruised into the second round with a comfortable 3-0 win at home to Sinnington

Drew McCoubrey grabbed a brace and in-form Adam Stride netted their other goal.

Boss Shaun Mancrief singled out two-goal-hero McCoubrey as their man of the match.

Third division Ayton Reserves were beaten 7-3 at first division Whitby Fisherman’s Society despite putting up a valiant battle.

Mark Craven grabbed two of Ayton’s goals, their other coming from the penalty spot after Kieran Friett was brought down in the area and he netted the spot-kick himself.

Ten-man USB were resoundly beaten 7-0 at Kirkbymoorside.