Saturday League: Cup round-up - Big guns make League Cup progress

Filey's Lee Cappleman takes a free-kick in their 3-0 win at Seamer. Picture Richard Ponter 134236f
Filey's Lee Cappleman takes a free-kick in their 3-0 win at Seamer. Picture Richard Ponter 134236f

Edgehill, West Pier, Newlands and Filey Town all made it though their respective League Cup ties to advance to the next round, while Whitby RFC produced the shock result of the day after beating first division Falsgrave 4-2.


NEWLANDS PARK 7 (Freer 3, Logan 2, Dove, Josh Hakings) FC ROSETTE 0

Shaun Mancrief’s Newlands continued their superb start to the campaign with a comprehensive 7-0 win at home to division two outfit Rosette.

Youngster Dan Freer led the Newlands charge with a hat-trick, while prolific frontman Billy Logan added a brace.

Chris Dove and Josh Hakings completed the Newlands scoresheet much to the delight of boss Mancrief.

“We played some good football and were comfortable all game,” he said.

“It was Dan’s first hat-trick for the first team so he’s done well, and I thought Chris Dove and Josh Hakings both played well too.”

SCALBY 2 (Gregory 2) EDGEHILL 5 (Jenking 2, Coulson, Cooper, Collins)

Second division Scalby made Edgehill work hard for their place in the next round of the League Cup.

The home side led 1-0 at the break after Danny Gregory capitalised on a defensive mix-up to squeeze in from a tight angle, and the Otters led until half-time.

Steve Clegg rallied his troops during the interval and they levelled almost immediately as substitute Aaron Jenking let fly, before he got his second and Danny Collins and the impressive Liam Cooper got in on the act as Edgehill moved into a 4-1 lead.

Gregory trimmed back the deficit when Edgehill’s stand-in keeper Paul Allick spilled his attempted lob over the line, but the scoring wasn’t done and veteran target man Alec Coulson profited from a slip by Scalby keeper Matty Scott to cheekily back heel in to round-up the scoring.

Edgehill’s joint boss Clegg was impressed with wingers Cooper and Jenking, while Scalby’s stand-in manager Gregory picked out John Bateman and Danny Wedge as his side’s stand-out performers.

FALSGRAVE RESERVES 1 WEST PIER 6 (Sygrove 3, N Thomas, S Garnett, Provins)

Andy Spivey’s first division champions West Pier eased past third division Falsgrave Reserves.

Striker Gareth Sygrove was in form in front of goal as he bagged a treble to help his side along.

Goals from Neil Thomas, Sam Garnett and Paul Provins polished off their scorline.

SEAMER SC 0 FILEY TOWN 3 (Sugden, Sheldon, Flynn)

Filey Town came out on top of a scrappy and often ill-tempered cup tie at Seamer.

Filey led after 15 minutes after good work from Lee Cappleman fed Liam Sugden to head in.

The home side were then reduced to 10 men after 70 minutes after Jake Moore was sent for an early bath after a reckless challenge.

Filey capitalised and goals from substitute Scott Sheldon and Lalan Flynn rounded things off at 3-0 for Taylor’s men.

Both managers weren’t blown away by their side’s efforts, while Seamer manager picked out Jamie Hartley as his side’s man of the match and Benjamin Briggs was Filey’s star man.

EASTFIELD 3 (K Tate 3) WESTOVER WASPS 3 (Eastfield won 3-2 on penalties)

Dave Scott’s Eastfield side needed penalties to edge past a hard-working Westover side and progress into the next round.

A Kris Tate treble cancelled out three Wasps strikes and after the sides couldn’t be separated after 90 minutes and then extra-time, the game was decided from the penalty spot.

Eastfield keeper Chris Ferrey was the home side’s hero as he saved two Westover penalties, and although the usually dependable Martyn Ferrey missed his spot-kick, successful efforts from Tate, Danny Price and Eric Hall handed Eastfield the win.

Scott named hat-trick hero Tate as his side’s man of the match.

WHITBY RFC 4 (Usher, Ross, Craig penalty, Jobling) FALSGRAVE 2 (Malcolm 2, one penalty)

Steve Mothersdale’s Whitby RFC produced the shock of the round as the third division side beat top flight Falsgrave 4-2.

The home side produced a superb display against their depleted visitors and led 2-0 following strikes from Marc Usher and Steve Ross.

Cameron Malcolm scored before the break to ensure his side stayed in the hunt, but a Damon Craig penalty after Usher was brought down in the box and a Paul Jobling effort put the game beyond any doubt at 4-1.

A Dave Welham hand ball gave Malcolm the chance to make it 4-2 from the spot, and he made no mistake.

Mothersdale singled out youngster Harry Smith as his side’s man of the match. He said: “Harry showed great resolve playing in the game after he lost a friend in the tragic car accident this week.

“Fair play to Falsgrave, we had a minute’s silence before the game and it was good to see Harry play well despite the circumstances.”

AYTON 1 (Rigg penalty) HUNMANBY UNITED 0

Steve Roberts’ Ayton side edged past Hunmanby United to make it through to the next round.

Scores were level until 70 minutes after Ayton failed to break down an organised and resolute United side, but they were ahead with 30 minutes left on the clock after Alex Bowman was brought down in the area and Simon Rigg fired in the resulting spot kick.

Boss Roberts picked out Alex Hamilton and Dan Peel as his side’s star men.

WHITBY FISHERMEN’S SOCIETY 4 (Hart 2, Scaife, Armstrong) RYEDALE 2 (Hornby, Hall)

Whitby Fishermen’s Society beat Ryedale 4-2 to advance into the next round.

Peter Scaife’s free-kick put the home side in front before Robbie Preston fed Adam Hornby to level up heading into the break.

Two Neil Hart goals after the turn-around put Storr’s men in full control, his second a superb effort into the top corner from outside the box.

James Armstrong tapped in to make ot 4-1 before Ryedale’s man of the match Jack Hall netted a late consolation.

Ben Sullivan was named as Fishermen’s man of the match.



Dave Oxley’s United Sports Bar continue to impress this season, and they made progress in the cup with a 3-1 win over Cayton.

The impressive Terence Breckon opened the scoring after a mistake by the away keeper allowed him to move round the stopper and tap in.

USB were reduced to 10 men after they had a man sent off, but this didn’t halt their progress as Georgie Rose tapped in after good work from man of the match Breckon.

The goal of the game came through Liam Vasey, who made it 3-1 with a thunderbolt of a free-kick from 40 yards, his thunderous strike flying into the top corner with the keeper rooted to the spot.

Cayton’s James Barber netted a late penalty but the damage was already done.



Macauley Youngson’s young Commercial side eased past Cayton Reserves to move into the next round of the League Trophy.

They led through Jackson Jowett’s effort before Keegan Barston’s brace rounded-off their impressive scoreline.

Boss Youngson picked out Barston and Ben Watson as his side’s star men.