Saturday League: Division One - Pier get back on track at Ryedale despite Barker sending off

editorial image

West Pier and Filey Town boosted their respective title aspirations while Edgehill’s resurgence continued.


RYEDALE 0 WEST PIER 3 (Wardle 2, S Sheader)

West Pier kept the pressure on leaders Filey Town after a double salvo from full-back James Wardle helped them to a 3-0 win on the road at Ryedale.

Wardle gave the champions the lead from the penalty spot after 30 minutes as he kept his cool to lift the ball into the top corner after a hand ball was spotted in the Ryedale box.

Pier’s lead was extended on the brink of the switch-around as Wardle started a sharp counter-attack that resulted in him getting in behind the Ryedale left-back before rounding Rob Campbell in the home side’s goal and coolly tapping in from an acute angle.

The away side made it 3-0 after 57 minutes when a corner wasn’t cleared and centre-back Steve Sheader smashed into the empty net.

The drama wasn’t over though as Pier sub Mikey Barker managed to collect two bookings in 30 minutes and was sent for an early bath by the referee.

Pier boss Andy Spivey picked out Wardle as his side’s man of the match but also praised the efforts of Gary Thomas and Andy Sheader.

SEAMER SC 0 FILEY TOWN 3 (P Dickens, Tomlinson, Sugden)

Filey Town are still in the driving seat of the division one title race after two late goals contributed to their 3-0 win at Seamer.

The game was switched to Seamer and the game went ahead on a difficult surface and Filey took an early lead through their prolific front man Phil Dickens.

The score remained 1-0 to Dave Brannan’s men until the latter stages when goals from Ricky Tomlinson and Liam Sugden boosted their victory margin to 3-0 and re-asserted their place at the summit of the top flight.

Brannan said: “Seamer were solid as a unit, they’ve got some good players but I never felt that we were in danger of losing the game.

“I’m delighted we’ve managed to get another win and we need to keep going and keep winning now.

“I still think we can get better and get sharper and we’re missing a few key players at the moment too so it will be good to get them back in.”


Eastfield suffered a 3-2 home reverse against Whitby Fishermen’s Society despite a brace from player-manager Nick Hegarty.

Speedy winger Sam Bailey gave Mark Storr’s visitors the lead after he beat his man and finished well.

Hegarty levelled things up with his first of the day when he headed in a Luke Purvis cross.

The home side weren’t on level terms long though as Neil Hart smashed in and they fell 3-1 behind before the interval when Peter Scaife’s cross flew straight into the net.

Eastfield fought back after the break and halved their deficit when Hegarty turned in after Eric Hall’s flick on.

Fishermen held on though to take the three points, although their boss Storr admitted a draw would have been a fair result.

EDGEHILL 4 (Richardson, A Coulson, Noon, Jenking pen) FISHBURN PARK 2

Edgehill’s resurgence continued as they followed up their impressive win over champions West Pier last week with a 4-2 win at home to relegation threatened Fishburn.

The impressive Tyler Richardson bagged Edgehill’s first after good work from fellow youngster Tom Micklethwaite.

Fishburn pegged their hosts back before the break and took a surprise lead after the half-time break but Alec Coulson’s recent run of form in front of goal continued when he headed his side back on level terms.

Edgehill regained their lead when a good team move resulted in a superb cros from sub Jonny Woolford found Andy Noon, who finished well.

The home side wrapped up the scoring when Phil Warnett was upended in the area and Aaron Jenking strolled in the from the spot.

Clegg paid tribute to 17-year-olds Richardson and Lloyd Henderson and 19-year-old Micklethwaite for their impressive performances afterwards.

AYTON 1 (Jackson) WESTOVER WASPS 1 (O’Flanagan)

Ayton’s title charge continues to sit on the back-burner after they dropped more points at home to a determined Westover side.

Steve Roberts’ men set the pace at the top of the division for most of the pre-Christmas period, but they dropped two points as Dave Gaddass’ men battled back after going behind to take a share of the spoils.

Ryan Jackson was in the right spot at the right time to side-foot in a pinpoint Neil Fryirs cross after 35 minutes.

But Wasps weren’t to be denied and levelled up after 65 minutes when in-form striker Sam O’Flanagan slotted in nicely.

Wasps could have nicked all three points at the death if it wasn’t for the smart work of Ayton stopper Ben Riley.

Jackson and Liam Glaves stood out for the hokme side while James Seymour and O’Flanagan impressed for Westover.