Saturday League: Division one & two round-up: Dubious Pier goal rescues a point

Edgehill Reserves striker Jon Cairns battles for the ball in their 3-1 defeat at Falsgrave. PICTURES BY STEVE LILLY.
Edgehill Reserves striker Jon Cairns battles for the ball in their 3-1 defeat at Falsgrave. PICTURES BY STEVE LILLY.

There was a full fixture schedule in the Scarborough News Saturday League, with several games seeing late goals see the points changing hands.




Edgehill 1 (Allick) West Pier 1 (Jenkinson)

West Pier scrambled home a late equaliser from a hotly-contested corner to seal a point at a strengthened Edgehill.

Re-inforcements were brought in after Saturday’s disappointing 5-2 defeat to Filey, with the likes of Brid Town’s Wayne Aziz, Scarborough Town’s Rob Clark and former Scarborough FC man Michael McNaughton coming into the squad.

Pier enjoyed the better of the first half but couldn’t take their chances and the scores remained level at the interval.



Edgehill boss Steve Clegg introduced Aziz and Paul Allick and the pair linked-up nicely to put the home side 1-0 up with just 10 minutes left on the clock.

But Pier won a corner that the Edgehill contingent hotly disputed with referee Ben Naylor, and after a deflection off one of the over-hanging trees at Staxon, the ball fell to Pier’s Will Jenkinson, who bundled the ball in to seal a share of the spoils.

Ayton 3 (Dorey 3) Whitby Fishermen’s Society 3 (James 2, Raisbeck pen)

Ayton looked to be heading for two wins in two games when they led Mark Storr’s Whitby Fishermen’s Society 3-1 with 15 minutes left.



A Mark James goal put the Fishermen ahead, but a stunning Steve Dorey hat-trick put Ayton in the ascendancy.

But when Jordan Purvis was brought down in the area on 75 minutes, Phil Raisbeck buried from the spot to make it 3-2.

Ayton looked to have weathered the storm, but with the very last kick of the game James bagged his second to snag his side a point.

Westover Wasps 2 Eastfield St James 5 (Dobson 2, Dove, Till, OG)



New Eastfield St James managers Nick Hegarty and Drew McCoubrey got their first points since taking charge with a 5-2 win against Westover Wasps.

Westover led 1-0, but goals after the break from Cameron Dobson, Nathan Till and Chris Dove put them in the driving seat.

Westover clawed one back but Dobson’s second and an own goal made sure of the 5-2 success.

Joint boss McCoubrey singled out defenders Jack Appleton and Lee Tate as their star men.

Ryedale 2 (Heath, Preston) Fishburn Park 1

Ryedale also hit back from an opening day defeat by beating Fishburn Park 2-1.



Park took the lead after a stunning 35-yard effort, but a Heath Brown header after good work down the right from Adam Hornby, and then a Luke Preston strike sealed the win for John Reed’s charges.

Boss Reed said: “It was a solid team performance against a decent Fishburn side.

“It was nice to get the win after Saturday’s disappointing defeat too.”

Hunmanby United 1 Seamer SC 2 (Danby 2)

A Joe Danby double gave Matty Dawson’s promoted Seamer their first points of the season.

Danby’s first came after 15 minutes when he free-kick nestled in the back of the net.

His second arrived on the half-hour mark when he thundered in from 30 yards out.

Hunmanby improved after the break and had chances to get back into the game, and an 80th minute penalty gave them a hope.

But Seamer held firm, with defender Joe Tiffany in superb form.


Cayton Corinthians P-P Filey Town Reserves

The Cayton v Filey Town Reserves match was abandoned after a serious injury suffered by Filey’s Joe Powell.

Powell suffered an arm injury when Scarborough Town manager Shaun Rennison landed on him from a corner and the game was duly abandoned.

Falsgrave 3 (Anderson, Brady, Tolliday) Edgehill Reserves 1

Falsgrave continued their impressive start to life in division two with a 3-1 home win over Edgehill Reserves.

Mike Anderson opened the scoring after 30 minutes when he picked out the top corner of the visitors’ net from long range.

It was 2-0 when Richard Tolliday beat four Edgehill defenders before crossing for Paul Brady to tap home.

Tolliday notched Falsgrave’s third goal to end the game as a contest when he finished neatly after another solo run.

Edgehill pulled a goal back in the 75th minute but it proved to be too little too late for the away side.

Falsgrave boss Billy Johnson picked out Tolliday and Keiran Link as his side’s star men.

Rillington Athletic 0 Snainton 3 (Drydale 2, P I’Anson)

Three goals inside the opening twenty minutes proved enough for Snainton to claim maximum points from their trip to Rillington.

Lee Drydale fired Snainton ahead early on before a stunning free-kick from veteran Paul I’Anson doubled the visitors’ advantage.

Drydale added his second and Snainton’s third shortly afterwards to leave Rilington reeling.

Central defender I’Anson was named man of the match after an imperious display.

Scalby 3 (Scales 2, C Townley) FC Rosette 6

Scalby’s poor start to the season continued after they went down 6-3 at home to neighbours Rosette.

Rosette led 6-0 but two goals from Shaun Scales and a Carl Townley strike secured some pride for the home side.