SATURDAY LEAGUE: Divisions One & Two - Beadle and Rose steer USB to win while Ryan bags four in Pier success

Saturday League reports by Daniel Gregory (
Saturday League reports by Daniel Gregory (

United Sports Bar maintained their 100 per cent start to the season after beating Snainton 6-1, while Chris Ryan smashed in four for West Pier Reserves in their 5-0 win at Commercial.


UNITED SPORTS BAR 6 (Beadle 2, Rose, Moore, Hardisty) SNAINTON 1

United Sports Bar’s midfield duo of Jimmy Beadle and Georgie Rose fired their side to a 6-1 win at home to Snainton.

USB’s 100 per cent start to the season continued as both Beadle and Rose bagged a brace apiece, while goals from Lucas Hardisty and Tim Moore wrapped up the win for Dave Oxley’s men.

Oxley heaped praise on his midfield pairing following their win.

SCALBY 4 (Marton 2, A Townley, Simpson) NEWLANDS PARK RESERVES 4 (Delve 2, Stride, Brown)

Scalby and Newlands Reserves shared the spoils after an entertaining 4-4 draw.

Scalby took an early 2-0 lead after Rich Simpson and Carl Marton fired in.

Former Scalby man Adam Stride saw his strike find a deflection that wrong-footed keeper Matty Scott to make it 2-1, but when Marton drifted into the six-yard-box unmarked to nod in Danny Wedge’s pin-point cross, Scalby led 3-1 and looked in control at the interval.

Newlands introduced striker Luke Delve at the interval and the frontman made a difference to the away side.

It was soon 3-2 after Newlands stalwart Hugh Brown thumped in an unstoppable header after finding space in front of goal, and then Delve turned the game on its head.

First the striker took a touch before volleying in from 25 yards and shortly after he found himself one-on-one with Scott and made no mistake in slotting in.

It looked like Newlands had the game won until they conceded a late free-kick that Carl Townley flung towards the back post, where his younger brother Ashley was waiting to power in a header to seal Kev David’s men a deserved share of the spoils.

Wedge and Simpson stood out for Scalby, while Stefan Moon and half-time substitute Delve had an impact for Newlands.

SLEIGHTS 3 (Fawcett 2, Brennan) CAYTON 3 (I Sands 2, Whitelaw)

Cayton spurned a 2-0 lead at Sleights and had to settle for a share of the spoils.

Two goals on his return to the club for Isaac Sands handed Shaun Rennison’s men a 2-0 lead at the interval.

A dubious penalty was then given to Sleights almost immediately after the break by referee Nige Trotter and James Fawcett made no mistake.

Lee Brennan’s first-time volley then levelled matters up, but Cayton managed to get their noses back in front through a Jamie Whitelaw header.

The home side weren’t to be denied though and grabbed a point through Fawcett’s second after he hammered through a crowded box.

Sands was Cayton’s star man, while Sam Leadley and Luke Asbury played well for the home side.

FC ROSETTE 1 (A Wray) FLIXTON 1 (Dixon)

Rosette and Flixton played out a 1-1 draw in tough conditions.

A fairly uneventful first half saw neither side really threaten to break the deadlock.

It was the home side who took the lead, player-manager Al Wray firing a superb free-kick into the bottom corner.

Flixton managed to level through Rob Dixon, who smashed in from close range, and grabbed a point.

Jamie Wray stood out for Rosette, while Luke Midgley played well for Flixton.


Filey Town Reserves will consider their 2-2 draw at home to Rillington as two points dropped.

The division two champions had to settle for a share of the spoils despite goals from James Pinder and Josh McKaig.



Chris Ryan effectively ended Commercial’s hopes of getting anything from their tie at home to West Pier Reserves after he smashed in a hat-trick inside the first 20 minutes.

Jamie Scotter then heaped more misery on Commercial by making it 4-0 before Ryan’s fourth gave Pier a 5-0 lead at half-time.

Although Commercial improved marginally after the break, Pier had already done more than enough to win the game comfortably.

Player-boss singled out four-goal-hero Ryan and 16-year-old keeper Sam Hutchinson as his side’s star men.

AYTON RESERVES 3 (C Stubbings, T Stubbings, White) SCALBY RESERVES 1 (Shaw)

Ayton Reserves bounced back after going a goal behind against Scalby Reserves to record their first win since the opening day of the season.

Youngster Taylor Shaw fired Scalby in front, but Chris Stubbings’ unstoppable effort from range made it 1-1 at half-time.

Tyson Stubbings’ corner then flew straight in to give Mark Plumpton’s men the lead before Niall Prentice’s wicked cross found the head of Corey White, who made it 3-1 and wrapped up the scoring.

Plumpton picked out full-backs Brad Hardman and Prentice as his side’s star men.


Stephen Gandolfi’s Cayton Reserves side battled back from a 1-0 half-time deficit to beat Athletico2B 2-1.

Shaun Goodwin’s strike had given the away side the lead heading into the interval, but when Josh Venner’s low cross was turned past his own keeper by an unfortunate Athletico man, the scores were level.

It looked like the game was heading for a draw until neat footwork from Ash Durham fed right-back Martin Harwood, who finished with composure.

Gandolfi picked out midfield pair James Barber and Mike Stanworth as his side’s star men, while Goodwin and Kyle May played well for Athletico.

WESTOVER WASPS RESERVES 1 SLEIGHTS 2 (Game abandoned after 65 minutes due to adverse weather conditions)