Saturday League: Divisions one & two - Edgehill see off champs Pier

editorial image

Edgehill picked up a huge win on the road at champions West Pier, while Newlands’ strong start continued with victory against Hunmanby.


WEST PIER 0 EDGEHILL 4 (Dodson, Ramm, Nelson, Cooper)

Edgehill picked up a huge win on the road at division one champions West Pier.

Joint bosses Alec Coulson and Steve Clegg saw their side take the lead after just eight minutes when Shaun Dodson’s free-kick found the back of the net.

Pier settled down and edged back into the clash, but Neil Thomas and Mikey Barker both spurned glorious chances to level matters up while Martin Cooper hit the bar.

Pier were on top for the opening stages of the second half, but they fell further behind when former Scarborough Athletic midfielder Joel Ramm fired in after Chris Nelson’s neat backheel teed him up.

Pier threw centre-back Steve Sheader forward in a bid to salvage something from the game, but Edgehill picked them off on the counter-attack twice to further their lead.

Nelson netted his first goal for the club on 80 minutes before Liam Cooper made it 4-0 and put the game to bed in the 85th minute.

Joint boss Coulson said: “It was a good team performance and we deserved to win the game.

“Matty Burling and Shaun Dodson stood out for us through the middle of the pitch.”

NEWLANDS 4 (Logan 2, Luntley, Mancrief) HUNMANBY UNITED 2 (Pinder, Dobson)

Newlands stay top after winning their fifth game from six played at home to Hunmanby United.

The home side led through talismanic frontman Billy Logan, but they didn’t have things their own way as goals from James Pinder and Cameron Dobson put United 2-1 up at the break.

Newlands were soon back on top though after Paddy Mancrief played a neat one-two with Chris Dove before finishing well to level.

Shaun Mancrief’s men re-gained the lead when Logan beat a couple of United defenders before hammering in, before Ben Luntley rounded scoring off for 4-2 after good build-up play with Logan.

Logan stood out for Newlands, while Dan Freer also impressed.

FILEY TOWN 3 (Cappleman 2, one pen, Tomlinson) AYTON 1 (Bowman)

Jay Taylor’s Filey Town eased past Ayton with all four goals coming before the break.

Ayton had a glorious chance to open the scoring when they won a penalty, but Neil Fryirs saw his penalty saved superbly by Josh Crawford.

Filey took full advantage and took the lead when Ricky Tomlinson showed his marker a clean pair of heels down the right wing and fed Lee Cappleman, who finished well.

The pair reversed their roles shortly afterwards when Cappleman turned provider for Tomlinson, who duly made it 2-0.

It was soon 3-0 to Filey as Cappleman stroked in from the penalty spot, but Ayton gave themselves hope heading into the break when Fryirs’ pin-point cross found the head of Alex Bowman, who headed in.

Neither side could create any real chances of note after the interval, with Filey keeper Crawford untroubled and Filey taking the points.

Taylor picked out Crawford as his side’s stand-out performer after his crucial saves in the first half kept his side in the hunt.

EASTFIELD ST JAMES 5 (Hegarty 2, McCoubrey, K Tate, Price) WESTOVER WASPS 2 (Fennell, Matson)

Dave Scott’s Eastfield side battled back from a two-goal deficit to beat Westover 5-2.

Former Eastfield man Tom Fennell opened the scoring for Dave Gaddass’ Wasps before Ryan Matson produced a moment of brilliance after latching onto a ball over the top to make it 2-0.

The home side rallied though and Drew McCoubrey made it 2-1 before Nick Hegarty levelled up just before the break.

If Westover had dominated the first half, Eastfield were certainly on top after the break.

Kris Tate bagged a rare header before Danny Price came off the bench to make it 4-2.

The scoring was rounded off by Hegarty after a through-ball from Price.

Lee Tate was man of the match for Eastfield.

WHITBY FISHERMEN’S SOCIETY 3 (Hart 2, Sullivan) SEAMER 1 (Bradbury)

Whitby Fishermen’s Society beat Seamer 3-1, but they didn’t have things all their own way and had to battle back from 1-0 down.

A depleted Seamer dominated the opening stages and took the lead through Dan Bradbury, who finished well.

Fishermen came back into the game though and went it 2-1 up at the break, their goals coming through Ben Sullivan and Neil Hart.

Seamer had chances to level up after the interval, but after Bradbury missed a couple of opportunities Fishermen bagged a third as Hart got his second to kill off the tie.

Sullivan and Jamie Forbes-Walker stood out for Fishermen, while Bradbury looked sharp up front for Seamer with keeper Joe Wright also in form.

RYEDALE 1 FALSGRAVE 2 (Drydale, Ellis)

Promoted Falsgrave picked up their second win in the top flight at Ryedale.

Billy Johnson’s men took a two-goal lead as Lee Drydale and Nick Ellis both found the back of the net.

Ryedale hit back before the interval to make it 2-1, but they couldn’t find a way through again.

The away side could have added to their tally after the break, but Rich Tolliday was twice denied by the crossbar.

Lewis Short and Sam Mahoney stood out for Falsgrave.


FLIXTON 0 SLEIGHTS 3 (Lanzavecchia, McCarthy, Watson)

Sleights’ 100 per cent start to their maiden division two campaign continued as they beat Flixton 3-0.

Agustin Lanzavecchia opened the scoring for Jim Howard’s men midway through the opening period, with Ben Watson’s fourth strike of the season doubling their advantage.

Mark McCarthy then notched to cement Sleights’ victory before the interval.

EDGEHILL RESERVES 6 (P I’Anson 2, JP Watson 2, Jones, M Coulson) FILEY RESERVES 0

Danny I’Anson continued his glowing start as Edgehill Reserves boss with a comprehensive 6-0 win at home to last year’s champions Filey Town Reserves.

The home side had to be patient as only Paul I’Anson’s strike split the sides at the break.

Their dominance started to tell after the break though as I’Anson doubled their lead as he pounced to tap in after a mistake by the Filey keeper.

Two JP Watson strikes made it 4-0 before goals from Martin Coulson and Dan Jones rounded things off for the home side.

Boss I’Anson paid tribute to his side’s back-line, including his brother and two-goal hero Paul, and Tom Hicken, who stood out.