Saturday League Divisions Two and Three round-up

Drew McCoubrey scored four times in 31 first-half minutes to keep Newlands Park Reserves' second division title bid on track.

By The Newsroom
Sunday, 31st January 2016, 8:19 am
Updated Sunday, 31st January 2016, 9:39 am
Saturday League round-up
Saturday League round-up

Second-placed Park saw off bottom side Snainton 5-1, with all the goals coming in the first period.

McCoubrey opened the scoring with just four minutes gone, and registered again in the 15th, 30th and 35th minutes to put his side firmly in charge of the game.

Chris Bowman added Newlands’ fifth just minutes before the break, and although Snainton managed to pull one back, that was as good as it got for the villagers.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

Scalby maintained their 100 per cent league record with a 2-1 victory over fellow promotion hopefuls Duchess at Carr Lane.

Mark Vasey gave the Otters a first-half advantage when he buried a rebound from three yards out, and George Wilson doubled the lead midway through the second period.

Duchess’ Ian Jenkinson netted to half the deficit with 15 minutes to go, but the home side saw the game out to claim maximum points.

Filey Town Reserves moved above Duchess into fourth spot in the table following a 3-1 home triumph over Falsgrave Athletic.

The game was tied at 1-1 at the interval, Joe Gage the man on target for the hosts.

Martyn Jenkinson put Town 2-1 up in the second half before Phil Dickens made sure that Lee Eblet’s charges would be taking all three points.

Joe Eblet was named Filey’ man of the match.

Edgehill Reserves’ 3-0 win at home to Cayton Corinthians Reserves sees them consolidate third place.

Benny Davis hit a brace for Martyn Ferrey’s men, while Lee Dennis scored the goal of the game, picking out the top corner of the Corinthians’ net from fully 30 yards.

Ferrey singled out centre-half Craig Love as his team’s star man.

West Pier Reserves eased their relegation fears with a 3-1 success over fellow strugglers Ayton.

Rob Speight turned in a match-winning performance for Pier, netting all three of his side’s goals.

Chris Milburn hit back for the village club who had Paul Tymon in good form, but remain second from bottom of the table and in deep trouble.

FC Rosette remain set to claim promotion back to the second division at the first attempt after they won 6-2 at Hunmanby United Reserves in Division Three.

The Newby-based side have three games in hand on leaders Eastway Sports, and are just four points behind them following a fifth win in six matches.

Sam Loy was sent through on goal and finished well to make it 1-0 to the visitors at half-time, Joe Logan adding a second from the penalty spot after the resumption.

Hunmanby were afforded a way back into the game when they were awarded a spot-kick of their own, Reggie Smith converting, but Logan notched two more to complete his hat-trick to make the score 4-1.

Al Wray added a double and Logan could even afford to miss a second penalty before Smith registered a second for United late on.

Rosette goalkeeper Michael Harland was his side’s man of the match.

Bottom side Fishburn Park Reserves grabbed their first league victory since October when they came from behind to sink Filey Town Thirds 2-1 on home turf.

With the wind behind them, Filey were on top in the first half and took a 1-0 lead into the break.

Park pinned their visitors deep in their own territory straight from the start of the second period and were level when Callum Halley netted a long-range effort.

The game’s decisive moment arrived when Filey’s keeper’s clearance got caught in a strong gust of wind and fell perfectly for Alex Wiggins to fire home from the edge of the box.

Skipper Richard Fletcher was Fishburn’s star performer, while young right-back Jack Kelly was also in top form.

A 35-yard free-kick from player-manager Mark Plumpton was enough to hand Goal Sports all three points from their trip to Westover Wasps Reserves.

Plumpton’s goal arrived after 25 minutes, entering the net via the underside of the crossbar, and he almost repeated the trick in the second half from another set-piece, but his shot came back off the woodwork.

Goal Sports had opportunities to add to their tally late on, but spurned a couple of one-on-one chances.

Scalby Reserves’ long wait for a win goes on after an 80th-minute equaliser saw them held 1-1 at Commercial.

Tommy Day’s tame penalty just about found its way over the line to give the village side the lead following a handball by a home defender.

Jeff Brader’s men held out until 10 minutes from time when Macaulay Youngson kept his composure to finish well past stand-in gloveman Dave Oxley.

Tommy Walker and Nic Wheatman shared Scalby’s man of the match award, while Glenn Wilkinson shone for the hosts.

Itis Itis Rovers lost at home to top of the table Eastway Sports by a 5-3 scoreline.

Luke Jones netted twice and Curtis Rose also struck for Rovers in a game that was tied at three apeice at half-time before the leaders claimed the points with two second-half efforts.

Rose and Ellis Wilson were in fine form for Itis Itis.

Sherburn versus Sleights Reserves was postponed as the away side could not raise a team.