Saturday league divisions two & three and League Trophy: Pier pegged back by RFC

Cayton on the attack against new boys Commercial during their 1-1 draw. Pictures by Dave Kettlewell
Cayton on the attack against new boys Commercial during their 1-1 draw. Pictures by Dave Kettlewell

West Pier Reserves were pegged back in the last minute during their 3-3 draw with Whitby RFC in division three, while Craig Rackham hammered in a hat-trick as United Sports Bar started life in division two with a win against Newlands Reserves.



West Pier’s second string were forced to settle for a share of the spoils after an entertaining game at home to Whitby RFC.

Whitby led but two from Chris Weetman and a strike from veteran Ray Thorpe put Pier in front.

Just as Dave Crawford’s men thought they were going to collect maximum points, 10-man Whitby levelled up with the clock ticking down.


New boys Commercial came away from their opener against Cayton Reserves with a point.

Shaun Rennison had given Cayton the lead with a header, but with just 15 minutes left on the clock, the young Commercial side levelled matters up.

Lyle Carter, Cayton’s 16-year-old right-back, put in a solid performance.

AYTON RESERVES 8 (Dorey 4, Ledden 3, Stubbings) SEAMER RESERVES 0

Steven Dorey was in fine form in front of goal as he banged in four of Ayton Reserves’ eight unanswered goals as they opened up their season in superb fashion.

In addition to Dorey’s quartet, James Ledden helped himself to a treble and Tyson Stubbings rounded off the scoring for Mark Plumpton’s men.

SCALBY RESERVES 1 (Arnott) FALSGRAVE RESERVES 3 (Hansen 2, Goodworth pen)

Falsgrave Reserves took all three points away from their trip to Carr Lane to take on Scalby’s second string.

They led after Scalby skipper Craig Furnell conceded a penalty and Ryan Goodworth blasted in for 1-0.

The pair were then both involved in a spate of handbags on the edge of the box after Furnell was angered by an off-the-ball incident and both were given their marching orders.

Neither side could find the target again in the first half and Scalby boss Jeff Brader rang the changes at half-time.

They improved during the second half but it was Falsgrave who netted next as they caught Scalby on the counter and Zak Hansen smashed in a superb effort from outside the box.

Darren Arnott smashed in to make it 2-1 and give his side hope, but Hansen managed to squeeze into the bottom corner and end any hopes the home side had of getting back into it.

Hansen was Falsgrave’s stand-out performer.

SLEIGHTS RESERVES 4 (Ingham 2, Wilson, Wiggins) ATHLETICO2B 1

In their first-ever competitive game, newly-formed Sleights Reserve beat Athletico2B 4-1.

Man of the match Sam Wiggins gave them the ideal start after 19 minutes. Player-manager Rob Ingham then doubled the lead 10 minutes before the break.

Athletico pulled one back just after the hour, but Ingham’s reply eight minutes later and Danny Wilson’s strike five minutes from time, ensured a comfortable victory for the league newcomers.



United Sports Bar made light work of Newlands Reserves and started life in division two in solid fashion.

Craig Rackham continued his fine form in front of goal from last season as he banged in a treble before Matty Turner made it 4-0 at the interval.

Newlands improved after the break and managed to grab a consolation strike to end things 4-1.

SCALBY 2 (Argyle, Hartnett) SLEIGHTS 3 (Martin, McCarthy, Watson)

Promoted Sleights also made a good start to their new campaign in division two after beating Scalby.

Sleights held the lead after a break down the right and a ball across the six-yard-box found Andy Martin who nipped in to rifle in.

Their lead was doubled in scrappy fashion after Scalby failed to clear their lines from a corner and Mark McCarthy squeezed the ball over the line.

Scalby improved after the break and managed to get themselves back into the game.

Their first came when a loose ball from a set-piece fell at the feet of new signing Dan Argyle, who smashed into the bottom corner.

They were level with just 15 minutes left on the clock after another new signing, Mike Hartnett found the top corner with a free-kick from 25 yards.

Just as it looked like the momentum had turned and Scalby would go and press for the win, Sleights won a free-kick and Ben Watson got ahead of his marker at the back post to head in and give Sleights the win.

Their centre-back Jake Faichney was named their man of the match, while Scalby’s centre-backs Jake Scutt and Danny Wedge stood out for Scalby.


Edgehill Reserves’ new boss Danny I’Anson saw his new side get away to a solid start as they eased to a 3-0 win at home to Rillington.

Dave Bell opened the scoring after 15 minutes, finding himself one-on-one before dinking over the advancing keeper.

A neat team move was then rounded off by Jason Prosser, who made it 2-0 at the break.

Bell’s second and Edgehill’s third wrapped things up after the break after he pounced after the Rillington keeper parried.

Boss I’Anson paid tribute to his entire team’s performance after the contest.

SNAINTON 3 (Horsley, Wallace, Swift) FLIXTON 2 (Chambers)

Flixton’s Luke Chambers netted a brace for his side but he ended up on the wrong side of a 3-2 scoreline at Snainton.

Chambers gave his side the lead but goals from Mike Horsley, Sam Wallace and Louis Swift gave Snainton a 3-1 lead.

Chambers managed to find the net again, but his last strike was merely a consolation strike.



Rosette advanced in the League Trophy after easing past division three outfit Westover Reserves.

Jamie Wray netted two and Lee Wardell also found the net twice.

Wray missed the chance to seal his hat-trick as he missed from the penalty spot.

Martin Russell stood out in the Rosette midfield.