Saturday League Divisions Two & Three round-up: Scalby win thriller

Mikey Anderson on the ball during Falsgrave's 5-1 Division Two win over Snainton. Picture: Graeme Farrah
Mikey Anderson on the ball during Falsgrave's 5-1 Division Two win over Snainton. Picture: Graeme Farrah

Scalby fought back from 2-0 down to beat Edgehill Reserves in a thrilling encounter at Carr Lane.

David Darling and man of the match Ricky Greening struck in the first half to hand the visitors a two-goal lead at the break.

A brace from Scalby’s star man Matty Smith, plus strikes from Ashley Townley and Ben Webster then turned the game on its head as the Otters went 4-2 up.

Jordan Aitkens smacked in a 40-yard effort in the closing stages to set up a tense finale, but the hosts held on to claim maximum points.

Drew McCoubrey netted four times as a five-star first-half display helped Newlands Park Reserves to a crushing away win at Seamer Reserves.

McCoubrey’s first half exploits were added to by Jordan Mintoft, while Dan Kelly pulled a goal back as Park took a 5-1 advantage into the interval.

Matthew Griffiths and Stew Bates registered after the break to put the gloss on a fine performance for Newlands who sit top of the table after two wins from

their first two games.

Three goals in the first 10 minutes paved the way for Duchess’ 3-1 win at Cayton Corinthians Reserves.

Ian Laing was twice sent clean through on goal and twice held his nerve to score to put Paul McBean’s men in charge.

James Hughes added a third goal shortly afterwards when he progressed along the byline before cutting inside and rifling home from a tight angle.

Michal Szalabski pulled one back for Cayton in the second half, but that was as good as it got for the hosts.

Chris Ryan, playing out of position at centre-half, was Duchess’ man of the match.

West Pier Reseves came from behind to sink Filey Town Reserves.

Martyn Jenkison was on target in the first period to put the hosts in the ascendancy at half-time but a Travis Wood double and a Chris Weetman goal ensured that the visitors took the three points.

Zac Hansen helped himself to a hat-trick as Falsgrave Athletic eased to a 5-1 home success over Snainton.

Hansen was joined on the scoresheet by Paul and Mark Reddy.

In Division Three, Saturday League newcomers Goal Sports made the perfect start to their debut season with a 6-2 home win over fellow new boys Fishburn Park Reserves.

An own goal and a Paul Hill strike saw Mark Plumpton’s men take a 2-0 lead into half-time.

Park reduced the deficit before Kieran Friett, Niall Prentice and Tyson Stubbings all netted to put Goal Sports in full control at 5-1.

Fishburn registered their second of the afternoon before Prentice rounded off the scoring.

Plumpton named Tom Duckworth as his side’s man of the match after a commanding display in the middle of the park.

Another side new to the league, Filey Town Thirds, claimed a point from their clash with Scalby Reserves.

Scalby began brightly and left-winger Grant Elwell tucked away the loose ball to put them ahead 20 minutes in, after Darren Walters’ initial effort had been saved.

Filey got back on terms 15 minutes later when their hosts conceded possession inside their own half and Lee Plant picked out the bottom corner of the net with a low strike from just outside the box.

Walters and James Ledden both had chances to win the game for Scalby in the second half but Town managed to hold out for a draw.

Hunmanby United Reserves fared less well in their first game in the Saturday League, suffering an 8-1 defeat against Eastway Sports.

Eric Hall led the way for the away side with four goals, while Nathan Till also bagged a hat-trick.

Mark Craven scored Eastway’s other goal.

Westover Wasps Reserves were another side to win big on the road when they beat Sherburn 7-2.

Rob Whitehead and Callum Myers both bagged braces for the Wasps, with Ryan Link, Noah Young and Matty Rowley also finding the back of the Sherburn net.

Man of the match Matty Whitehall scored both goals for Andy Adamson’s men.

FC Rosette picked up a 2-1 win at Sleights Reserves.

Robin Dixon and Chris Thompson registered for the visitors in a one-sided first half where Rosette also hit the woodwork on two occasions.

Sleights improved after the break, but it took until the last 10 minutes before they could get on the scoresheet, Lee Brennan knocking in what proved to be a mere consolation goal in the end.

Division Three side Commercial upset second division Ayton in the Trophy Trader League Trophy.

Chris Millson gave Commercial the lead after four minutes with a strike from just inside the penalty area.

Just after half-time, Macaulay Youngson curled 25-yard free-kick in off the crossbar to put the visitors in control.

Ayton pulled a goal back late on when Rob Ward poked home, but it proved to be too little too late.

Defender Max Edwards was named man of the match for the victors, while Tom Clarke impressed for the home side.