Saturday League: Divisions two & three - Snainton stun Sleights while USB struggle past Rillington

editorial image

Promotion-chasing Sleights spurned a 3-0 lead as Snainton stunned them 6-4, while USB struggled to a 1-0 win against Rillington Athletic.


Sleights 4 (Faichney 2, Trotter, Fawcett) Snainton 6 (Mintoft 5, K Cooper)

Liam Mintoft smashed in five goals as Snainton fired back from 3-0 down to beat promotion-chasing Sleights at Caedmon School.

Former Whitby Town man Jake Faichney handed Sleights the lead before Michael Trotter’s superb solo effort made it 2-0.

It looked like Sleights would blow Snainton away after Faichney grabbed his second to make it 3-0 to the home side.

A stunning 30-yard strike from Mintoft and a tap-in from the same man made it 3-2 at half-time.

Mintoft turned the game completely on its head after the break as he banged in two more to make it 4-3 to Leigh Watson’s Snainton.

The game continued to ebb and flow and James Fawcett’s penalty brought Sleights back level at 4-4.

The away side, and Mintoft, weren’t done just yet though and a cheeky lob grabbed him his fifth to put Snainton back in charge.

Karl Cooper’s long-range free-kick made the points safe for Watson’s men.

Watson singled out five-goal hero Mintoft and midfielder Mike Webster as his side’s star men.

USB 1 (Battye) Rillington Athletic 0

USB player-manager Dave Oxley made a string of second-half saves to help his side edge to a scrappy 1-0 win against struggling Rillington Athletic.

Played in testing conditions at Oliver’s Mount, neither side could unlock the opposition’s rearguard after a drab first half that ended 0-0.

The only goal of the game came in the 75th minute when USB defender Charles Battye kept his composure to fire into the bottom corner.

Athletic fought back to try and take something from the game, but found Oxley in inspired form inbetween the sticks.

He made a stunning save from an effort that was arrowing into the bottom corner, before a point-blank block and a superb effort to thwart a one-on-one opportunity for Athletic.

He was joint man of the match with full-back Tony Stubbings.

Scalby 2 (A Townley, C Townley pen) Flixton 4 (Dixon, Hughes, Chambers, Flack pen)

Goals from Rob Dixon, James Hughes, Luke Chambers and veteran Paul Flack handed Flixton a 4-2 win at a depleted Scalby side.

Kev David’s Scalby were missing several players and had to call on former manager Rich Birley to kit up.

The home side started slowly and fell 2-0 down following a sloppy goal and a Flack penalty, before Ashley Townley was dragged back in the box and his elder brother Carl swept in from the penalty spot for 2-1.

Scalby’s Karl Hansell conceded his second penalty of the afternoon. Chambers missed the penalty, but Hughes followed up to make it 3-1 to Flixton.

Ashley Townley got his name on the scoresheet after the break when he powered in a bullet header at the back post for 3-2, but another Flixton strike past stand-in Scalby keeper Carl Marton rounded the scoring off at 4-2.

Carl Townley stood out for the home side.

Cayton Corinthians 1 Newlands Park Reserves 3 (Bates 2, Stride)

Dougie McGregor’s Newlands Reserves side continued their impressive run of form with a 3-1 win at Cayton.

Cayton held a 1-0 lead at the break against the run of play, but two goals from Stew Bates after the break handed the away side a 2-1 lead.

Midfielder Adam Stride netted Newlands’ third to confirm their win.

Matty Shone stood out for Newlands in the centre of the park.

McGregor said: “We missed a few chances in the first half, but improved a bit after the break.

“We were the better side and deserved to win the game.”


Westover Wasps Res 4 (Wood 4) Commercial 3

Four first-half goals from Westover Reserves striker Travis Wood handed Jack Fenwick’s side a win against Commercial, but they had to withstand a superb second-half fightback by the young away side.

Wood banged in four before the break as the home side went into the interval in full control of the contest.

Wasps lost centre-back Shaun Hope at the interval and Commercial took full advantage of the Wasps’ weakened defence to run in three goals as they looked for an unlikely way back into the game.

Wasps had a nervy 10 minutes to hang on at the death, but they did so, much to the delight off boss Fenwick, who picked out Wood and skipper Neal Castleton as his side’s star men.

Falsgrave Reserves 1 Scalby Reserves 1 (Turner)

Falsgrave Reserves and Scalby Reserves shared the points after a forgettable affair.

A mistake from Scalby goalkeeper Tom Manson handed the home side the lead, but young Scalby full-back Matty Turner’s sweetly-struck free-kick restored parity for Jeff Brader’s Scalby.

Neither side carved out many good chances to win the game after the break and the contest finished 1-1.

Brader picked out goalscorer Turner and Spanish full-back Borja Garcia as his side’s best players on the day.