Saturday League: Edgehill Reserves end title-winning season on a high while Whitby RFC advance into Trophy final

editorial image

Danny I’Anson’s Edgehill Reserves won their final game of the season as they collected the division two title, while Whitby RFC beat Athletico2b 4-0 in their Frank White Trophy semi-final.


Edgehill 4 (Dodson, A Coulson, Greening, Collins) Ryedale 1 (Richardson)

Edgehill kept their outside chances of pipping runaway leaders Newlands to the division one title alive with a 4-1 win at home to Ryedale.

First half goals from Danny Collins and Ricky Greening gave the home side a 2-0 lead at the break.

Chris Rhodes had a great chance to make it 2-1, but his penalty was saved by Martin Cappleman.

Edgehill capitalised and scored a penalty of their own to make it 3-0, Shaun Dodson making no mistake from the spot.

Sub Joel Richardson made it 3-1, but Alec Coulson grabbed another goal for Edgehill to kill the game off.

Ayton 2 (Pickering 2) West Pier 3 (Crawford, Bradshaw, Provins)

West Pier won 3-2 on the road at relegation-threatened Ayton.

Ayton led 1-0 when Mikey Pickering headed in just after the interval from Neil Fryirs’ corner.

Pier levelled almost immediately though as man of the match Daz Crawford’s 30-yard strike somehow managed to sneak through the legs of stand-in keeper Mark Vasey.

The away side went 2-1 up through Jamie Bradshaw before Ayton rallied and levelled again, Pickering netting his second.

With the game seemingly heading for a draw, Pier striker Paul Provins managed to find space in the box and fire in to hand Andy Spivey’s men maximum points.

Whitby Fishermen’s Society 5 Filey Town 1 (Young)

A massively depleted Filey Town side were beaten 5-1 at Whitby Fishermen’s Society.

Nine-man Town managed to hold their hosts to a goalless first half, but Fishermen took a 2-0 lead after the break.

And despite James Young’s stunning volley making it 2-1, Fishermen capitalised on their two-man advantage and put a further three goals past their tiring visitors.

Taylor paid tribute to his nine men, who grafted throughout to frustrate their hosts.


Edgehill Reserves 5 (Watson, Scales, Bell, Noon, Ferrey) Sleights 0

Danny I’Anson’s Edgehill Reserves ended their superb season on a high with a comfortable 5-0 win at home to Sleights.

I’Anson has enjoyed a superb debut season in charge of the Staxton outfit, winning 18, drawing one and losing only one game in their league title winning campaign.

A delighted I’Anson said: “I’m absolutely delighted with how my first season has gone, I really didn’t expect it.

“I’ve got a great set of lads who always turn up and have that winning mentality, which has been a great help.

“Credit to all the lads, they’ve been great and they deserved to win the league.”

Edgehill ended their campaign with 55 points after beating Sleights 5-0.

They lead 3-0 at the break, goals coming courtesy of JP Watson, Tom Scales and Dave Bell.

The home side added to their tally after the interval through Andy Noon’s chested effort and a cheeky dink over the keeper from Martyn Ferrey.

Flixton 2 Filey Town Reserves 1

Flixton netted a last-gasp winner to seal all three points from their home clash against Filey Town Reserves.

The sides were level after an even contest, until Mick Stephenson’s men nicked it right at the death.

Scalby 2 (Simpson, Scales) Cayton Corinthians 1

Kev David’s Scalby side won their home clash against Cayton Corinthians.

Scalby trailed at the break after a soft effort evaded keeper Matty Scott.

David’s men rallied after the break though and were level when pacy midfielder Rich Simpson fired in from an acute angle.

The turnaround was complete 10 minutes later when striker Shaun Scales lofted in after the Cayton keeper could only parry a shot on goal.

David singled out Simpson and Scales as his side’s star men.

Newlands Reserves 7 (Delve 3, Chambers 2, Stride, Bates) FC Rosette 2

Newlands Reserves followed up their win in the League Trophy final on Wednesday night with a solid 7-2 dismantling of FC Rosette.

Luke Delve continued his impressive run of form in front of goal by bagging a hat-trick as Newlands controlled the game throughout.

Sam Chambers added a brace and there were also goals for Stew Bates and Adam Stride, while Francis Lightfoot was their man of the match.


Ayton Reserves 1 (Stubbings) Commercial 2

Ayton Reserves’ poor season continued with a 2-1 defeat at home to Commercial.

They led 1-0 at half-time, Tyson Stubbings grabbing his 20th goal of the season.

It wasn’t enough for Ayton though as Commercial dominated the second half, scoring from the penalty spot before netting with a fortunate header.

Falsgrave Reserves 5 (Stancill 2, Hanson, Sutton, Goodworth pen) Sleights Reserves 1

Lee Smythe’s Falsgrave Reserves beat struggling Sleights Reserves 5-1 to continue their remarkable turnaround in fortunes this season.

Last season’s division three whipping boys, Falsgrave sit fifth this season, and Smythe’s men picked up yet another win from this encounter.

They fell behind when Sleights scored direct from a corner, but two goals from Nick Stancill had them 2-1 up at the break.

Lee Sutton and Zak Hanson both scored to make it 4-1 before a Ryan Goodworth penalty rounded-off the scoring.

Mikey Anderson, Paul Reddy and Shaun Hughes all stood out for Falsgrave.

Scalby Res 1 (South) Westover Wasps Reserves 2

Westover Reserves edged a 2-1 win from a closely-fought encounter at Scalby Reserves.

The away side led for the majority of the contest and made it 2-0 with 15 minutes left on the clock, but Jack South’s neat finish after good work from Richard Brice and Darren Arnott made it 2-1 and set up a nervy finish for the Wasps.

Scalby lumped keeper Tom Manson forward in the final moments, and he could have scored a dramatic equaliser as the set-piece found its way to him, but he dragged his header wide and Wasps took the win.

Frank White Trophy semi-final

Athletico2B 0 Whitby RFC 4 (Hoggarth 2, Kilpatrick, Crabtree)

Whitby RFC recovered from their disappointment in the League Trophy final as they beat Athletico2b 4-0 to make it through to the final of the Frank White Trophy.

Mike Kilpatrick had a hand in teeing up the first two goals for Whitby, Ben Hoggarth bagging them both to give them a 2-0 half-time lead.

Kilpatrick got his name on the scoresheet on the hour-mark to make it 3-0 as he volleyed in from the edge of the box.

The scoring was completed by centre-back Jsoh Crabtree, who fired in from 30-yards.

Whitby will meet Falsgrave Reserves in the final, which will be played at Seamer on Monday April 21.