Saturday League: Five-star Pier secure cup progress

editorial image

West Pier produced a five-star performance to secure victory over Dormanstown in the North Riding Saturday Challenge Cup.

In a game switched to Pier’s Sherburn base, a first-half brace from striker Billy Logan put Andy Spivey’s men in the driving seat.

Sam Garnett added a third before the interval and Logan completed his hat-trick in the second period to make the score 4-0.

Pier saved their best til last, however, Mark Barber rounding things off with a 35-yard screamer.

Third division Itis-Itis Rovers stunned Division Two promotion hopefuls Scalby when they claimed a 3-1 success at Carr Lane.

Luke Jones struck to move Rovers ahead inside five minutes, and the same player netted again with a free-kick after a quarter of an hour.

Ben Webster pulled one back for Scalby 10 minutes before the break, but with the Ottters pushing for an equaliser, Webster was given a red card in the 75th minute after two bookings. West Pier produced a five-star performance to secure victory over Dormanstown in the North Riding Saturday Challenge Cup.

Itis-Itis made the most of their numerical advantage and Neil Forsyth wrapped things up with a third goal in the closing stages.

Kile Fields hit a brace as Newlands Park won 3-0 at Seamer Sports in the Coastal Shellfish League Cup.

Defender Fields scored the only goal of the first half after 20 minutes to give the reigning Saturday League champions a half-time lead.

The game remained in the balance until the 80th minute when Liam Buglass took the score to 2-0 with a fine individual effort.

Fields then got forward from the defence to grab his second of the afternoon to make sure of the win in the 85th minute.

Edgehill grabbed a 4-2 success on the road at Hunmanby United.

Kieran Link handed the visitors the lead after 20 minutes before Cameron Dobson dinked in an equalising goal for United before the break.

Mike Barker struck 10 minutes after the resumption and a Danny Glendinning goal with just five minutes to go looked to have made the game safe for Edgehill.

James Pindar pulled one back for the hosts straight from the kick-off but Jackson Jowett scored a minute later to restore the away side’s two-goal cushion, ending any hopes of a late fightback.

Edgehill manager Steve Clegg said: “This was a very good team performance with Liam Cooper and Phil Warnett, who are both wingers, playing as full-backs, while Mikey Barker was a big threat throughout the game.

“Daniel Jones at centre-half produced very solid performance and was our man of the match.”

In the Trophy Trader League Trophy, Duchess fought back from two goals down to see off second division rivals Cayton Corinthians Reserves by a 4-2 scoreline, after extra time.

Luke Newbold volleyed Damon Cook’s Corinthians into the lead, and a finish into the bottom corner of the Duchess net from Harry Sleep took the score to 2-0 at the interval.

Cayton held on to their advantage until Ian Jenkinson pulled a goal back with 10 minutes to go.

Tom Hicks levelled the scores to send the game into extra time, and Jenkinson completed added two more goals to complete his hat-trick, sealing his side’s progress in the process.

Duchess boss Paul McBean picked out the defensive duo of Hicks and Richard Garton as his side’s star men.

Edgehill Reserves also came from behind to triumph 4-2, seeing off the challenge of Snainton.

Rob Holt fired in from outside the box to give the village side the lead, but Edgehill levelled things up before the break and then took charge of the game in the second half, Lee Dennis, Jon Cairns, Martyn Ferrey and Dave Ledden all finding the back of the net.

Shane McAuley ran from the half-way line and dinked home to set up a nervy last 10 minutes for the hosts, and although Snainton had chances to add to their tally in the closing stages they were unable to take them.

Edgehill player-manager Ferrey singled out Dennis as his side’s man of the match, while his opposite number Andy Holt praised his whole team, with special mention going to stand-in goalkeeper Keith Savage.