Saturday League: Harbour Cup & Division one - Edgehill fight back to beat Newlands

editorial image

Edgehill came back from 2-0 down at half-time to beat Newlands 4-2 and make the semi-finals of the Harbour Cup while there were wins for West Pier and Whitby Fishermen’s Society in division one as three top flight games fell foul of the inclement weather.


EDGEHILL 4 (Cooper pen, Warnett, C Hepples, Kapynski) NEWLANDS PARK 2 (Wilson, Delve pen)

Steve Clegg’s Edgehill side came from behind to beat Newlands for the second time in two weeks.

Newlands edged the first half and held a 2-0 advantage at the break after Mike Wilson struck and Luke Delve slotted in from the penalty spot to give their side the lead.

Clegg read his side the riot act during the interval and they came roaring out for the second half and they halved their deficit in fortuitous circumstances.

The referee pointed to the spot despite Newlands defender Nick Beal seeming to play the ball in a challenge with Aaron Jenking and Liam Cooper slotted in.

Edgehill were level when they received another slice of luck. Phil Warnett beat his man with a clever dummy and struck goalwards before a deflection off Newlands’ stand-in centre-back Paddy Mancrief sent the ball past keeper George Elliott.

The home side took the lead for the first time in the game with 15 minutes left on the clock when good work from Cooper on the left flank fed Carl Hepples to slide in at the back post for 3-2.

Edgehill confirmed their win and rounded off the scoring in the 87th minute when Polish midfielder Macie Kapynski tapped in at the back post.

Carl Hepples and Liam Cooper were the stand-out players for Edgehill, while Jordan Mintoft was the pick of the Newlands side.


WEST PIER 5 (Bradshaw 3, M Cooper, G Thomas) HUNMANBY UNITED 0

Andy Spivey’s West Pier side warmed up for their NRCFA Saturday Challenge Cup semi-final against Thirsk Falcons this week with a 5-0 win over relegation-threatened Hunmanby United - but they were made to work hard for their three points.

Hunmanby held firm until the hour mark when a double substitution changed the game.

Spivey brought on Mikey Barker and Jamie Bradshaw for Paul Provins and Tommy Barker, and Bradshaw turned the contest on its head with a 10-minute hat-trick to put his side 3-0 up and in control.

Martin Cooper scored the goal of the game with a 40-yard lob over Hunmanby’s stand-in keeper before former Scarborough Town man Gary Thomas wrapped things up with their fifth and final goal.

Spivey picked out defender Phil Meads as his side’s stand-out performer.

WHITBY FISHERMEN’S SOCIETY 3 (M Swales pen, Purvis, Hart) WESTOVER WASPS 2 (Rose pen, Varley)

A last-gasp Neil Hart strike gave Whitby Fishermen’s Society a 3-2 win at home against a dogged Westover Wasps outfit.

The away side led 1-0 through a Curtis Rose penalty but Mark Swales swept in from the penalty spot at the other end of the pitch to level matters up.

A Jordan Purvis strike gave the home side the lead at the interval, but Wasps struck back again through Daz Varley after good work from debutant Luke Jones.

Just as it looked like the sides would have to share the spoils, Fishermen’s Neil Hart popped up to seal the win for his side.