SATURDAY LEAGUE: Harbour Cup & Division One - Pier and Filey make last four

editorial image

West Pier and Filey made the semi-finals of the Harbour Cup, while a serious injury to Edgehill’s Andy Noon called a halt to their last eight clash against Newlands.


WEST PIER 4 (S Sheader, M Barker, Hartnett, T Barker) WHITBY FISHERMEN’S SOCIETY 1

Andy Spivey’s West Pier side moved into the last four of the Harbour Cup after a 4-1 win against a depleted Whitby Fishermen’s Society side.

Pier struck after 25 minutes when a Paul Provins free-kick found Steve Sheader, who side-footed in neatly to give the home side a 1-0 half-time lead.

Despite the away side improving after the break and an even second-half ensuing, Pier nudged further clear when a long punt upfield found Mikey Barker, who lobbed the Fishermen keeper.

Mark Storr’s men got a foothold in the game with a deserved goal on the hour mark, but the home side netted again to restore their two-goal advantage when Mike Hartnett finished neatly when he found space in the box.

The scoring was completed when a deep cross from Mark Oldroyd found Tommy Barker, who ghosted in at the back post to sweep in with his right foot.

Pier boss Spivey said: “Mikey Barker did well up front and set up a lot of chances that were missed by Gareth Sygrove and Paul Provins.

“I thought 4-1 flattered us a little but a win is a win and we’re through.”

RYEDALE 2 FILEY TOWN 5 (Pinder 2, Emerson, P Dickens, Tomlinson)

Division one table-toppers Filey Town also ensured their name will be in the hat for the semi-finals of the Harbour Cup after they disposed of Ryedale 5-2.

Filey started slowly and fell 1-0 behind, but they soon restored parity when James Pinder netted, and they were 2-1 up at the break after Phil Dickens headed in.

Filey took control after the break and were well ahead when Pinder’s second made it 3-1.

Ryedale then had a man sent off and Filey took full advantage, youngster John Emmerson netting his first for the club before Ricky Tomlinson got the fifth.

The home side bagged a consolation, but it was too little-too late.

Town boss Dave Brannan said: “If I’m being honest, we were very average. But we were still comfortable winners and it’s another win for the club.”


A serious injury to Edgehill’s Andy Noon called an early halt to the quarter-final tie at Staxton between rivals Edgehill and Newlands.

The game was 10 minutes old when Noon went into a challenge with Newlands midfielder Jamie Gallagher and referee Oliver O’Brien had to call a halt to proceedings with Noon having to be taken to hospital with a suspected break of the tibia and fibia.


Ayton’s last eight clash at Lealholm was called off due to the snow on Lealholm’s pitch.



Seamer were left frustrated after they were held to a goalless draw at home to relegation threatened Hunmanby United.

Seamer had plenty of the ball but were never able to create any clear-cut chances against their defensively-minded opponents.


Fishburn’s pitch was deemed unplayable after the snowfall in Whitby overnight on Friday and their scheduled home clash against Eastfield was called off.