Saturday League: Hepples strikes against former club to hand Newlands victory

Former Edgehill and Scarborough Athletic midfielder Gary Hepples came off the bench to brag a brace and fire Newlands to a 3-1 win at Edgehill in Division One.

By Daniel Gregory
Saturday, 19th September 2015, 7:59 pm
Mark Swales tries to bring the ball down during Whitby Fishermen's 1-1 draw on the road at Cayton. Picture: Steve Lilly.
Mark Swales tries to bring the ball down during Whitby Fishermen's 1-1 draw on the road at Cayton. Picture: Steve Lilly.

Hepples entered the action after an injury to Michael Wilson after 15 minutes and after half-an-hour he made his mark on proceedings, lifting the ball over an Edgehill defender before volleying in to make it 1-0 to Newlands.

Edgehill had the perfect chance to go level before half-time after Ricky Nock handled in the area, but Liam Cooper missed the resulting penalty and Newlands led at the break.

It was 2-0 after 55 minutes when Sean Exley fired into the top corner and Hepples tapped-in after 75 minutes to put the result beyond doubt.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

Hunmanby Utd Reserves player-manager Dave Wedge swings a ball into the box during their 5-4 defeat against Filey Town 3rds. Picture: Steve Lilly

Danny Collins fired in a late consolation for Edgehill.

Park boss Shaun Mancrief singled out debutants Gary and Carl Hepples, Nock and Exley.

Cayton and Whitby Fishermen’s Society shared the spoils after a 1-1 draw.

After a goalless first half, an own goal by Harry Holden from Steve Swales’ corner gave Mark Storr’s men the lead, but Josh Venner rescued a point for Cayton when he latched onto a ball into the box and rifled into the top corner.

Cayton boss Shaun Rennison said: “They had more of the ball and we hung on for a draw in the end.”

Hunmanby United cruised to a comfortable 5-0 home win against Sleights.

Tommy Wilson grabbed a brace for the home side, while there were also goals for James Pinder, Cameron Dobson and Scarborough Athletic’s Leigh Franks.

Ali Caw put in a five-star performance to help Seamer Reserves to a 5-2 win at home to Falsgrave Athletic in Division Two.

Zachery Hanson notched a brace for Lee Smythe’s men, but it wasn’t enough as Caw’s five sealed the three points for Joe Wright’s side.

The points were shared as Cayton Reserves and Newlands Reserves couldn’t be separated.

The home side led 1-0 after Simon Stubbs smashed in from distance, but prolific striker Drew McCoubrey hammered in to level up.

Craig Moss put Cayton back in front again, only for McCoubrey to slam home from the spot to seal a point for his side.

Keeper Corey Towell was Cayton’s man of the match, while Sam Chambers stood out for Park.

Nick Ellis smashed in four as Filey Town Reserves eased to a 6-0 win at struggling Ayton.

Following an even first half-an-hour, Town smashed in five goals in 15 minutes to kill the game off.

Joe Gage and Jordan Powell also got on the scoresheet for Town, while four-goal-hero Ellis was their man of the match.

Jamie Millar and Tom Clarke shone at the back for Ayton.

Goal Sports are the pacesetters in Division Three after they beat Itis Itis Rovers 5-2.

Goal Sports led through Tyson Stubbings, only for Rovers to level up just minutes later.

Mark Plumpton’s men were back in charge after 15 minutes though when Kieran Friett latched onto Stubbings’ ball over the top to fire in.

It was soon 3-1, this time Goal Sports countered following a Rovers corner and the Stubbings smashed in.

Rovers yet again hit back with their first attack to make it 3-2, but a fine goal from George Friend restored Sports’ two-goal cushion.

Sports’ fifth and final goal came after 40 minutes when Stubbings’ low corner found Niall Prentice, who smsahed in to round off the scoring before half-time.

Both sides had chances after the break, Friett missed a penalty after Mike Grayshan had been brought down, while Rovers hit the bar through Luke Jones.

Filey Town Thirds came out on top of their derby against fellow newcomers Hunmanby United, triumphing by a 5-4 scoreline.

Town were in full control as they led 4-1 at the break, but United notched through doubles from man of the match Reggie Smith and Steve Pratt to make it 4-4 and set up a tense finale.

Dave Wedge’s men were left heartbroken as Town rallied and fired in a late winner to take the three points.

Eastway Sports and Fishburn Park Reserves played out a 1-1 draw.

Park led through Tom Wardell’s strike after good work from Ste Ross on the hour-mark.

It wasn’t to be for Park though as Eastway bagged a point following an equaliser from a corner after 80 minutes.

Park boss Carl Oliver said: “We should’ve had three points today. We played well and deserved to win the game.

“Rich Lane and Callum Halley were superb in midfield for us.”