SATURDAY LEAGUE: Leaders Sherburn pegged back by Eastway

Sherburn remain top of Saturday League Division Three despite being pegged back to a 2-2 draw at home by Eastway Sports.

Saturday, 25th February 2017, 5:12 pm
Updated Wednesday, 1st March 2017, 7:52 am
Saturday League reports

Close-range finishes from Rich Malthouse and stalwart Carl Sample put the hosts in charge after only 20 minutes and they maintained this lead until the interval, playing with a strong wind at their backs.

David Darling then raced in from the right wing and smashed in a goal 10 minutes after the break to bring Eastway back into the game.

Sherburn then lost their keeper to injury as a boisterous challenge from Eric Hall saw Kyle Outhart forced out of the match, but no card was shown to the former Scarborough Athletic Reserve striker despite protests from the home side.

Outfield player Stu Pickard was forced to don the gloves and he could do nothing to stop Marcus Mockridge levelling from close range on 70 minutes.

The hosts were forced to battle to hang onto their lead for the remainder of the game and the visitors were left to regret three disallowed goals.

Andy Adamson praised his whole team for their work ethic in a bruising encounter, while Rob Clark was singled out by Sports boss Barton Newham as their star man at centre-back.

Scalby Reserves edged away from the foot of the third division with a 3-0 win in a drab encounter at fellow strugglers Goal Sports Reserves.

Striker James Ledden opened the scoring with a deflected first-half strike, and the visitors made sure of the win with a superb 25-yard curling shot from Lee Luntley on 70 minutes.

Ledden notched his second to cap the win for Scalby, cutting in from the right and blasting his shot into the roof of the net from an acute angle.

Left-back Rich Brice and centre-half Danny Wedge were the star men for Scalby with full-back John Martin the man of the match for the hosts.

Ten-man Duchess were robbed of a superb home win against Division Two leaders Filey Town Reserves.

The hosts were reduced to 10 men after only 10 minutes as they lost a man to injury and did not have any subs, but they were the better side throughout despite this and looked to have earned a win when Luke Midgley's curling shot flew into the net on 75 minutes.

Their hopes were dashed eight minutes from time, as Matthew Hobson was adjudged to have committed a foul in the area despite appearing to have got the ball, Billy Coyne earning a point for the pacesetters with the successful spot-kick.

Paul McBean hailed all 10 of his players and said they should share the man of the match award, and his counterpart Dan Kempson was also keen to praise the home team's efforts.

Snainton and Scalby also shared the honours in a 2-2 draw.

Rob Speight continued his superb form by putting Scalby ahead on 10 minutes and 20 minutes later Craig Rackham doubled the away team's lead.

The hosts refused to submit and pulled level through goals from Liam Cummings and Ryan Collings.

Neither side could add to their tally after the interval, although Speight had a great chance but blazed his penalty over the bar.

Snainton boss Andy Holt selected Rob Holt and Regan Hewitt for special praise after the game, as they both created a goal apiece, while Ash Townley was named as the Scalby star man for a superb display in central midfield.

Filey Town battled back from a goal down to claim a 3-1 home win against Division One strugglers Westover Wasps.

The Wasps went ahead after only 15 minutes when Nathan Barber slotted home from a Martyn Kelly pass, but Daz Clough levelled for Town before half-time and the same player made it 2-1 early in the second half.

Liam Sugden scored the third goal for Town to secure the win for Dave Brannan's side, who missed a succession of chances after the interval to add to their tally.

Callum Gravestock and Brandon Catherall shared the star man award for Town, with striker Ste Molloy and left-back Leroy Donaldson the Westover men of the match.