Saturday League: League reports - Park frustrated by resilient Wasps

Newlands' Jack Hakings tries to spring an attack against Westover Wasps. Picture: Steve Lilly
Newlands' Jack Hakings tries to spring an attack against Westover Wasps. Picture: Steve Lilly

Newlands Park's bid to retain their Division One title took a hit after they were held to a 2-2 draw by a battling Westover side.

Westover took the lead after a swift break down the right from Tom Sutherland eventually led to him crossing for Zac Hansen to fire in his first goal for the club since signing from Falsgrave Athletic.

Newlands hit back just after the break though, 16-year-old Liam Mancrief levelling up for his side.

The Wasps weren't to be denied though and again took the lead when sub Nathan Barber latched onto a precise through-ball from Ryan Matson and finished with aplomb to send his side into the lead again.

The champions responded though and laid siege to the Wasps goal, and eventually levelled up when Jack Hakings netted with 10 minutes to go.

The home side continued to throw men forward in search of a winner, but the Wasps held firm via some strong defending, the woodwork denying their hosts and a couple of decent saves from their keeper and held on to take a point.

Edgehill went top of the table, but will be frustrated not to have taken full advantage of leaders West Pier's game at Hunmanby United being off, after a 2-2 draw against Filey Town.

Town were the better side in the opening 45 minutes, but it took two Edgehill mistakes to hand them 2-0 lead at the interval.

The away side first profited from Leigh Watson's pass across the defence, which was intercepted by Ricky Tomlinson, who raced clear to open the scoring.

Filey's lead was doubled courtesy of a clanger by Edgehill keeper Liam Giles, who dropped a free-kick and Phil Dickens gratefully tapped-in.

Boss Steve Clegg introduced Wayne Aziz and Danny Glendinning at the interval and the pair proceded to turn the game on its head.

First Aziz headed in to half their deficit in the 70th minute, before he turned provider for Glendinning to level matters up and seal his side a share of the spoils.

Kieran Link shone for the hosts, while centre-back John Emmerson was in fine form at the heart of the Town defence.

Hunmanby v West Pier and Cayton v Sleights were both postponed.

Division Two leaders Newlands Reserves fought back to beat Cayton Reserves 6-1 at Oliver's Mount.

Harry Sleep put Damon Cook's side 1-0 up after only three minutes, but Dougie McGregor and Joe Hakings' side weren't to be denied and battled their way back into the game.

Chris Bowman levelled scores up before Aidan Thomas rifled them into the lead from 25 yards.

It was all Park from that point as Sam Chambers fired in a double and Drew McCoubrey and Stew Bates both found the net to round-off a comfortable win for the leaders.

Striker McCoubrey was singled out as their man of the match by joint-bosses McGregor and Hakings.

Scalby bounced back from their first league defeat of the season last week to comfortably beat Falsgrave Athletic 4-0 in tough conditions at Oliver's Mount.

Dan Argyle's men spurned a countless number of chances in the opening exchanges with a mixture of resolute defending and last-ditch blocks and tackles, and poor finishing hampering them.

The away side finally took the lead when 17-year-old George Wilson grabbed the only goal of the first half after squeezing the ball past keeper Dean Cross.

It was soon 2-0 after the break, the impressive Rich Simpson firing in before two strikes from right-winger Shaun Scales wrapped up a straightforward win for the promotion candidates.

Paul Reddy battled valiantly at the back for Athletic before an injury meant he had to don the gloves for the rest of the game, while Wilson and Mark Oldroyd were in fine form for the Otters.

Another side battling for promotion are Duchess, who did their hopes no harm after beating West Pier Reserves 5-2.

Two James Hughes goals handed Paul McBean's side a 2-1 lead the break, only for Pier to fight back and make it 2-2 after the interval.

The introduction of veteran Gary Maw made a huge difference for the away side though and he fired his side back in to the lead before turning provider for Tom Hicks to make it 4-2.

The scoring was wrapped-up by Tom Hicks.

McBean singled out James Hughes as his side's man of the match after notching two while playing up top before setting one up after moving to the left flank.

Ayton gave themselves a glimmer of hope of survival with a 4-1 win at rock-bottom Snainton.

Paul Oldroyd smashed in a hat-trick to fire his side to a potentially critical three points, while their other goal came from Jamie Tyler.

Ayton's man of the match was Jake Adams.

Defeat for Snainton leaves them needing a miracle to avoid relegation to Division Three, while Ayton moved to within one point of third-bottom Falsgrave with their victory.

In the only game to go ahead in Division Three, the shares were spoiled after a six-goal thriller between Commercial and Westover Reserves.

Ryan Link fired Westover into the lead, but his goal was cancelled out by veteran striker Danny I'Anson.

Westover led at the break, Noah Young's effort ensuring they headed into half-time 2-1 up.

Defender Max Edwards' tap-in levelled matters up again straight after the break before Commercial took the lead for the first time in the game through Sam Raper.

With 15 minutes left on the clock, Mark Bean took advantage of an error from the Commercial keeper and made it 3-3.

Despite chances for both side, the best of which fell to I'Anson, who somehow managed to head against the bar when he was found unmarked in the six-yard-box, they had to settle for a share of the spoils.

Left-back Ben Watson was Commercial's star man, while Connor Bell stood out for Westover.

Sherburn v Hunmanby United Reserves, Scalby Reserves v Sleights Reserves and Filey Town 3rds v FC Rosette were all called off.