Saturday League: League round-up - Mass brawl erupts during Sleights’ draw with Newlands Reserves

Saturday League news
Saturday League news

A mass brawl on the pitch tainted an otherwise entertaining 2-2 draw between Sleights and Newlands Reserves in division two, while West Pier Reserves edged a seven-goal thriller against Ayton Reserves in division three.



A huge brawl tainted the division two clash between Newlands Reserves and Sleights.

Ben Watson opened the scoring but Newlands fired in twice to take the lead.

Mark McCarthy’s strike on 75 minutes rescued a points for promoted Sleights, who remain unbeaten in the league.

Sleights’ Jake Faichney and a Newlands opponent were shown red cards after a huge brawl broke out that resulted in visitor’s Marc Kipling suffering a broken nose.

EDGEHILL RESERVES 3 (Jones penalty, Cummings, Watson) FLIXTON 2 (Garton, Midgley)

Edgehill Reserves overcame a stern test from visiting Flixton and needed a late winner from JP Watson against his former club to maintain their superb start to the season.

Edgehill led 1-0 at half-time after Liam Cummings was brought down and Dan Jones fired in from the spot.

Flixton fought back after the interval though and were level after Rich Garton’s header found the top corner.

The away side went ahead for the first time when Luke Midgley rolled into the net after a mix-up in the Edgehill rearguard.

They were level again though when Cummings’ free-kick flew through the wall and into the bottom corner.

It looked like the teams were going to have to settle for a share of the spoils, but former Flixton man JP Watson had other ideas and after he muscled a Flixton man out of his path, he fired in the winner.

Ryan Jackson was man of the match for the victors.


Filey Town Reserves almost squandered a four-goal advantage against visitors Snainton.

The away side started with 10 men and Filey capitalised, taking a 4-0 lead after 15 minutes.

Snainton managed to their full quota on the pitch and battled back superbly, but it wasn’t enough as the Clarence Drive side collected the three points.


WEST PIER RESERVES 4 (Ryan, Weetman, Crawford, Speight) AYTON RESERVES 3 (Friett, Sample, Stubbings)

Rob Speight netted a last-gasp winner to hand West Pier Reserves the three points after a seven-goal triller against Ayton Reserves.

Pier led 2-0 through Chris Ryan and Chris Weetman, but Kieran Friett’s strike made it 2-1 at the interval.

Player-boss Dave Crawford headed in to make it 3-1 after the interval, but Ayton battled back and goals from Carl Sample and Tyson Stubbings handed them parity.

It looked like the clash was heading for a draw until striker Rob Speight netted with just five minutes left on the clock and Pier took the honours.

Ryan and Weetman stood out for Pier, while Sample and centre-back Paul Thornton put in impressive performances for the away side.

SLEIGHTS RESERVES 1 (Belchamber) SCALBY RESERVES 2 (Brice, Turley)

Jeffrey Brader’s Scalby Reserves side came away from their trip to Sleights Reserves with all three points.

The home side led through Shane Belchamber’s fourth-minute strike, but veteran midfield general Richard Brice shrugged off two challenges before finishing well.

Scalby were in front after 30 minutes after striker Nicholas Turley pounced on a corner and smashed into the roof of the net.


Westover Reserves won the battle of the basement division’s bottom two against Seamer Reserves.

Westover led 3-0 before Chris Mattison’s left-foot strike reduced their arrears.

Wasps netted another to re-assert their dominance over Gary Dixon’s men.