Saturday League: League Trophy & Division Two - Scalby Reserves stun Filey to make last four

editorial image

Darren Arnott grabbed a late double to secure Scalby Reserves a shock win at home to Filey Town Reserves in the last eight of the League Trophy.



Scalby Reserves produced a major upset to dump out Filey Town Reserves and seal their spot in the semi-finals of the League Trophy after battling back from behind to a 2-1 win.

An even first half saw both sides have decent possession of the ball without creating many clear-cut chances.

The away side took the lead just after the break after a corner wasn’t cleared properly and Jordan Powell scrambled the ball over the line.

But the home side rallied and found themselves back level when their top scorer Darren Arnott broke from midfield and found space to volley into the bottom corner.

The game looked to be heading into extra-time until Arnott popped up on the edge of the box and smashed a swerving effort past the away side’s keeper and into the net to send the division three side into the last four.

Manager Daniel Gregory said: “The lads were superb and deserved to win the game.

“We’ve beaten two good division two sides in Rosette and Filey Reserves so far so we have every chance of making the final.

“Everyone worked so hard today and played their part, it was a real team effort.”


FC ROSETTE 3 (J Wray, J Logan, Hadrick) FALSGRAVE 3 (Drydale 2, Tolliday)

Rosette and Falsgrave shared the spoils after a thrilling encounter.

Jamie Wray put Rosette ahead but Lee Drydale levelled for Billy Johnson’s men.

Drydale netted his second after the break to make it 2-1 to Falsgrave but Joe Logan lobbed the Falsgrave keeper to level things up again.

Rich Tolliday’s goal gave Falsgrave the lead for the third time but they were denied the three points after man of the match Martin Hadrick sealed his side a draw when he made it 3-3 late on.

SNAINTON 5 (Josh Sands 3, Bell, Watson) CAYTON 2

Snainton’s second successive promotion charge looks set to end successfully after they beat Cayton 5-2 to stay top of the table.

Danny I’Anson’s men made it nine wins from 13 league games and extended their lead to second-placed Falsgrave to five points in the process.

The home side fell behind though and had to battle back to take a 2-1 half-time lead through Dave Bell and Josh Sands.

Sands scored another two to make it 4-1 and complete his hat-trick before Leigh Watson made it 5-1.

Cayton netted a late consolation strike but it was too late to stop Snainton picking up another win and maintaining their charge for the top flight.


Another side who harbour promotion aspirations are Flixton, and they picked up three points against Rillington.

Gareth Olney smashed in an early goal to put Flixton ahead before Luke Chambers doubled their lead just before the break.

Flixton’s Paul Flack was sent off 10 minutes into the second half and shortly afterwards they lost striker Ian Laing to a head injury.

The home side had to dig in to keep hold of their lead and they did just that to take the three points.

Matty Miller and Paul Shepherd shone in the Flixton defence.