Saturday League: Newlands edge closer to division one title while Whitby RFC seal division three crown

Newlands edged closer to the division one title while Whitby RFC won the division three crown.
Newlands edged closer to the division one title while Whitby RFC won the division three crown.

Newlands will be division one champions barring a catastrophic turn-around in results and goal difference after they beat rivals Edgehill 3-0, while Whitby RFC secured the division three title with a 1-1 draw against promoted Athletico2b.


Newlands 3 (Cooper, Mancrief, Exley) Edgehill 0

Newlands will be crowned division one champions if they can gain a point from their final two games after they beat Edgehill 3-0 in their crucial title clash.

Even if they lose their last two games, Shaun Mancrief’s men, who have now won 20 out of 20 in the league, have a goal difference of 95, meaning Edgehill will need to improve their goal tally by over 40 goals.

Newlands led in the first minute, Ryan Cooper scoring after a decisive counter-attack.

They had to wait until the 50th minute to grab their second, this time Cooper turned provider as he set up club stalwart Paddy Mancrief to fire in.

The win was confirmed on the hour-mark when Sean Exley netted from 20 yards.

Mancrief praised his entire team, but singled out defender Niall Gibb and Mancrief and Danny Jenkinson in their midfield.

West Pier 3 (Wardle, M Cooper, S Garnett) Filey Town 1

West Pier moved third with a 3-1 win against a depleted Filey Town side.

James Wardle, playing in an unfamiliar role up front, showed his ice cool composure to slide in for 1-0 after 25 minutes.

Filey levelled just after the break, but Danny Cooper fed Martin Cooper to hammer in to put Pier back in charge.

Daz Crawford spurned the chance to make it 3-1 when he saw his penalty saved by Mikey Hunter, but Will Garnett teed up his brother Sam to head in to make sure of the points.

Hunmanby United 3 (Chapman, Baldry, Johnson) Ayton 1 (Stubbings)

Hunmanby United heaped further misery on relegation-threatened Ayton, subjecting them to a 3-1 defeat.

Matt Chapman opened the scoring with a neat volley from range after a poor clearance, before man of the match Ryan Baldry bagged their second with a 25-yard lob.

Their third game after 75 minutes, Lee Johnson’s corner flying directly into the net.

Ayton bagged a consolation through Chris Stubbings but the win was already sealed by the home side.

Their win was marred slightly by the nasty shoulder injury suffered by Dave Wedge following a challenge with Ayton utility man Mark Vasey. An ambulance was called for Wedge and the game was delayed while he was moved.


Rosette 2 Scalby 6 (Simpson 2, Arnott 2, C Townley, A Townley)

Scalby romped to a 6-2 win against Rosette as Rich Simpson and Darren Arnott found form.

Scalby led 2-0 but allowed Rosette back into the game at 2-2.

But their second-half performance saw them run away with the game.

Man of the match Simpson bagged two goals and three assists, while Arnott also bagged a brace of goals and assists.

The scoresheet was completed by Carl Townley and his younger brother Ashley.

Cayton 1 USB 4 (Rackham 2, Walters, Walker)

United Sports Bar look destined for promotion to the top flight at the first attempt after they beat Cayton 4-1.

They led 2-0 through Darren Walters and Jack Walker, but Cayton came back into the game at 2-1 and applied the pressure as they hunted down an equaliser.

The home side couldn’t find the leveller and two goals from Craig Rackham put a gloss on their precious victory.


Whitby RFC 1 (Ross) Athletico2b 1 (Stockell)

Steve Mothersdale’s Whitby RFC sealed the division three title with a 1-1 draw at home to promoted Athletico2b.

Whitby led through Ste Ross’ header from a Dave Welham throw-in, but Adam Stockell sealed a point for the Cats after the break when he lobbed the Whitby keeper.

Mothersdale said: “I’m delighted. We’ve built a new team at the club and they’ve done really well.”

Falsgrave Reserves 7 Ayton Reserves 0

Falsgrave Reserves’ magnificent improvement continued with a 7-0 thrashing of Ayton Reserves.

Ayton had managed to thwart their hosts in the first half, but collapsed after the break.