Saturday League: Park beat Edgehill to set up tense title finale

Edgehill goalscorer battles with Newlands midfielder Jack Hakings in the latter's 3-1 victory. Picture: Steve Lilly
Edgehill goalscorer battles with Newlands midfielder Jack Hakings in the latter's 3-1 victory. Picture: Steve Lilly
  • Newlands edge out Edgehill in huge title clash
  • Filey Town beat Seamer 4-0 and keep title destiny in their own hands
  • Division two and three champions Filey Town Reserves and Seamer Reserves both suffer defeats

Newlands Park beat Edgehill 3-1 to move into second and set up a tense title run-in with pacesetters Filey Town, who beat Seamer 4-0.

Edgehill won the toss and played with the strong winds at their back and they took the lead through Danny Collins after 20 minutes.

Newlands managed to head into the break on level terms though, Adam Stride beating his marker before firing in.

Shaun Mancrief’s men took charge after the interval and led after 65 minutes when Sean Exley got his toe on the end of a cross and diverted the ball past Edgehill stopper Martin Cappleman.

Exley ended Edgehill’s chances of getting back into the game after 85 minutes when he smashed into the bottom corner.

Mancrief singled out keeper Callum Myers after he made a handful of important saves in the first half, while Jack Hakings and Matty Griffiths also stood out for the victors.

Filey Town Reserves celebrate winning the Scarborough News Saturday League division two title.

Filey Town Reserves celebrate winning the Scarborough News Saturday League division two title.

The Park boss said: “I thought Edgehill made a mistake kicking with the wind in the first half.

“The wind definitely took it’s toll on the game, but we deserved to win it.”

Filey Town stayed top with a 4-0 success against Seamer, Cameron Dobson firing in a hat-trick on his return from suspension.

Dobson fired Jay Taylor’s men in front after seven minutes following good work down the left flank by Phil Dickens.

It was 2-0 10 minutes later, Dobson again finding the back of the net.

Town had to wait until after the break to add to their tally, Dobson completing his treble with a fortuitous deflected effort.

The home side saved their best goal until last, Liam Sugden firing in at the back post from Dicken’s cross.

Town now face title rivals West Pier and Newlands in their last two games, knowing two wins will wrap up the title for them.

Taylor said: “We’re confident. We know it is in our hands and we just need to win our last two games.”

The Town boss singled out Chris Duley and Sugden as his side’s star men.

West Pier also remain in the hunt for the title after a 4-1 victory on the road at Whitby Fisherman’s Society.

Pier led through Luke Delve, who headed in Ali Caw’s pinpoint cross after 30 minutes.

The away side lost Chris Nelson to injury just before the break, but they doubled their advantage shortly after the interval through Delve’s second after good work from Tommy Barker.

The Whitby side got back into the game from the penalty spot after a clumsy foul from Graeme Reid, but Caw’s goal made it 3-1 and gave Pier breathing space again.

Neil Thomas’ strike wrapped things up at 4-1, but Pier had a glorious chance to add a fifth when Caw was brought down in the box and a penalty was awarded.

Unfortunately, boss Andy Spivey fluffed his lines from the spot and Pier had to settle for the 4-1 success.

Spivey singled out Jamie Scotter and Sam Garnett.

Division two champions Filey Town Reserves received their silverware after their clash with Newlands Reserves, but had their day ruined by a 4-1 defeat.

Town picked positions out of a hat for their last league clash of the season, but still took the lead after 15 minutes through Dan Kempson.

Park Reserves, who tackle the division two champs in the Junior Cup final soon, weren’t behind long as Stew Bates’ strike sent the sides in level at the break.

The away side took control after the break and goals from Stefan Moon, Drew McCoubrey and Jack Worthy ensured they collected maximum points.

Boss Joe Hakings singled out 17-year-old prospect Lewis Coultas as his side’s star man.

Edgehill Reserves finished their campaign with three defeats in a row after they squandered a 2-0 lead against Athletico2B.

Following defeat to Scalby and then a one-sided reverse against Cayton in Wednesday night’s League Trophy final, Dan I’Anson’s men should have been looking to finish on a high.

But the manager was left with just four players from his Trophy final squad available, and the Cats took full advantage.

Edgehill led after Alec Coulson and Martyn Ferrey found the back of the net, Ferrey lobbing Cats stopper Nick David from near the halfway line.

Jackson Jowett’s strike ensured Edgehill led 2-1 at half-time and player-boss Nick David’s penalty after the break levelled matters up.

Former Edgehill man Jowett was to be the matchwinner for the Cats, who now have one game left to play this season.

Division three champions Seamer Reserves were beaten 5-0 by Cayton Reserves, handing Falsgrave Athletic promotion in second spot.

Cayton needed a massive win to go up ahead of Falsgrave on goal difference, but despite a comfortable 5-0 win they couldn’t find the goals they needed.

Jake Sands bagged four of Cayton’s goals, with Jack Pinder notching their other.

Sherburn rounded off their debut season with an 11-0 hammering of Tennyson.

Matty Whitewall, Sam Rackham and Jordan Wharton all bagged a brace, while Carl Sample, Andy Adamson and Ross Anderson, who fired in a 20-yard effort, also got on the scoresheet.

Two own goals added a touch of gloss to the scoreline for Sherburn, for whom Jordan Lee was named man of the match.