Saturday League: Pier and Edgehill forced to dig deep for victories

Saturday League round-up by Daniel Gregory
Saturday League round-up by Daniel Gregory

Title challengers West Pier, Filey Town and Edgehill all picked up wins in Newlands’ absence.

Filey Town breezed past USB by a 7-2 scoreline in division one.

Town led 4-0 at the interval after dominating the first 45 minutes.

They should have led after six minutes when they won a penalty, but Liam Vasey in the USB goal kept out James Pinder’s spot-kick.

It didn’t take too long for Town to recover though and they led when Lalan Flynn smashed in, before good work down the left from Phil Dickens allowed Pinder to atone for his earlier miss by making it 2-0.

Pinder then grabbed his second after linking up well with Stu Dickens to make it 3-0, before the latter found the net himself to make it 4-0 at half-time.

Goals from Stu Dickens and Cameron Dobson handed Filey a 6-0 lead before Lucas Hardisty netted for USB.

A Stu Dickens goal restored Town’s comfortable margin before player-boss Dave Oxley netted sensational header to grab his side a consolation and end things at 7-2.

Town boss Jay Taylor wasn’t pleased with his side’s second half efforts. He said: “We were comfortable first half but poor after half-time.

“We missed so many chances and should really have scored more.”

Taylor singled out centre-back Ben Briggs as his side’s man of the match.

Edgehill were given a much tougher test at home to Westover Wasps before edging to a 3-1 win.

Westover led against the run of play after 30 minutes, and then took hold of the game against Steve Clegg’s men.

Edgehill levelled up though when Liam Cooper bagged a rare headed goal after a corner was partially cleared and whipped back in for him to find the net and send the sides in level at the break.

The home side improved after the break and led after 65 minutes when Danny White headed in from a corner.

The result was put beyond doubt by Dean Craig, who swept in on the half-volley from the edge of the box with just five minutes left on the clock.

Skipper White was Edgehill’s man of the match.

A solitary Neil Thomas strike was enough for West Pier to beat Whitby Fisherman’s Society.

The sides couldn’t be separated in the first half, but good work from Sam Garnett found Thomas in space in the box before he rifled the only goal of the game into the bottom corner.

Pier boss Andy Spivey said: “If we’d have taken our chances we’d have won comfortably.

“It was a bit nervy but we were the better team and we deserved to win.”

Sleights edged to a 2-1 win at home to Ryedale.

The home side led 2-0 through goals from Sam Wiggins and Argentinean Agustin Lanzavecchia before Ryedale netted through Martin Foxton to reduce their arrears.

Stu Hancock was Sleights’ star man, while Tom Tate shone for the away side.

Seamer’s poor start to the season continued as they fell to a 1-0 defeat on the road at Hunmanby United.

The game had to be halted at one point after a nasty injury to Seamer’s Danny Kelly, who has a suspected broken ankle.

In division two, A last-minute equaliser handed West Pier Reserves a deserved point from their trip to Scalby, who remain unbeaten.

Pier led 1-0 at half-time after a scrappy first half, Mikey Barker tapping into an empty net.

Scalby were level when Richard Simpson was played in behind the Pier defence and fired into the bottom corner.

The home side thought they’d done enough for the win when player-boss Daniel Gregory latched onto a through-ball and fired in with just five minutes left on the clock.

Pier weren’t to be denied though and took away a fully deserved point when Barker’s cross found Rob Bowman, who headed in.

Both sides were missing several key players, but Matty Turner stood out for the home side and Chris Weetman was a constant threat for Pier.

Edgehill Reserves won 4-0 on the road at promoted Whitby RFC.

Danny I’Anson’s men scored two goals in each half against their depleted hosts.

Their first came through a superb turn and finish from Josh Sands before Martyn Ferrey calmly slotted home from the penalty spot.

Ferrey was at it again as he successfully converted from the spot to make it 3-0 before Sands grabbed his second with a neat side-footed effort to round things off at 4-0.

Macie Kapynski and Damian Robinson stood out for Edgehill.

Filey Town Reserves have made an excellent start to the season and they hammered Snainton 7-0 top keep that run going in style.

Man of the match Martyn Jenkinson helped himself to a brace while there were goals from Jordan Powell, Joe Gage, Tom Scales, Josh McKaig and player-boss Lee Cappleman.

Another side to have started their campaign in solid fashion are Shaun Rennison’s Cayton, and they continued their form with a 3-1 home win against Athletico2B.

Ash Durham handed Cayton the lead with the only goal of the first half.

Jake Sands soon doubled Cayton’s lead before Isaac Sands grabbed their third to put the result beyond any doubt.

Kyle May grabbed a consolation goal for the beaten Cats.

Rennison singled out Isaac Sands as his side’s star man.

Duchess picked up a solid 4-1 win from their trip to play FC Rosette.

Nick Bell’s goal gave Duchess a 1-0 half-time lead, but a penalty from Louis Palmer levelled matters up after the break.

Chris Watson’s deflected effort ensured Duchess led again before Bell’s second came in fortuitous circumstances when his attempted cross flew straight into the net for 3-1.

The scoring was wrapped up by substitute Gary Maw, who found himself one-on-one before finishing well.

Tim Jackson was Duchess’ man of the match.

Sherburn’s Paul Mills grabbed his side a late goal and a share of the spoils from a six-goal-thriller at home to Commercial in division three.

Sam Rackham netted to hand Sherburn the lead before Commericial battled back to take a 2-1 lead.

Player-manager Andy Adamson levelled matters up again, only for Commercial to re-gain the lead.

Mills grabbed a last-ditch leveller after heading in to end things at 3-3.

Gary Dixon’s Seamer Reserves side remain the team to beat in division three after they edged past Westover Wasps Reserves 4-2.

Westover led, but Chris Ferrey’s ball in found substitute Gary Walters, who bravely beat the on-rushing keeper to tap in for 1-1.

Ferrey was again at the heart of a Seamer move that led to Conner Myerscough handing Seamer a 2-1 lead.

Westover levelled but Matty Dawson beat the offside trap and fired in before super-sub Walters grabbed his second to round things off at 4-2.

Myerscough was Seamer’s man of the match.

Ayton Reserves were dominant from start to finish as they beat Scalby Reserves 3-1.

Mike Grayshan handed them the lead with a tap-in, before player-manager Mark Plumpton set him away again to grab his second and hand his side a 2-0 lead at the break.

It was soon 3-0 after the break as Grayshan turned provider, his pin-point pass finding Kieran Friett to net.

Marlon Moreno grabbed Scalby a consolation goal as the Ayton keeper’s clearance cannoned off him and into the net, but the home team deserved their success.

Falsgrave Athletic came out on top of an ill-tempered affair at fellow new boys Eastway Sports.

Goals either side of the break handed Lee Smyth’s side a deserved win.

Mikey Anderson grabbed both of Athletic’s goals, his first a free-kick before he netted after a superb solo run from his own half to put the result beyond any doubt.

Smyth singled out two-goal hero Anderson, Simon Young and Lewis Short, while Eastway’s Brad Easton made a string of superb saves to keep the scoreline respectable.

Cayton Reserves beat rock-bottom Sleights Reserves 1-0.

Martin Harwood’s precise lob after 55 minutes was enough for Stephen Gandolfi’s men to take home the points.