Saturday League: Pier smash eight past Ryedale

editorial image

West Pier continued their 100 per cent start to the Scarbrough News Saturday League division one season with an 8-2 home victory against Ryedale Sports Club, while USB beat Seamer 5-0 and Sleights won 1-0 in their derby against Whitby Fisherman’s Society.

Two early goals got Pier off to the best possible start at home to Ryedale, Tommy Barker’s shot fumbled in by the visiting keeper after only 30 seconds and in the second minute Martin Cooper’s fine solo effort doubled Pier’s advantage.

Martin Myers then headed in to give Ryedale hope, but striker Neil Thomas restored the two-goal lead for Andy Spivey’s team and Barker’s second effort made it 4-1.

Luke Delve, who is forging a fine partnership up front with Neil Thomas, put the home side well clear with a neat finish before half-time.

Ryedale started strongly after the break , but Pier added a sixth through Danny Cooper before Ryedale’s man of the match, youngster Jordan Thackeray hammered in a stunning volley from 25 yards.

Thomas completed his hat-trick with a penalty and a clinical strike as Pier eased to victory and into top spot in the first division.

Man of the match for Pier was shared by central midfielders Martin Cooper and Gaz Thomas.

Ben Watson’s 25th-minute strike earned Sleights a 1-0 win against Whitby Fisherman’s Society, who had Connor Goldsmith and Steve Swales sent off in the second half of this derby clash.

USB claimed a fine 5-0 home win against Seamer Sports.

The pacy strike duo of Matty Turner and Tommy Day worked well together for Dave Oxley’s team, Turner netting twice and Day also notching as USB took control after a goalless first half.

Tom Williamson scored the other two goals for the home side, one of them an outstanding backheel after great play from Zak Poole.

The men of the match for the hosts were defenders Darren Swinger and Sean Buckross, who were both very strong for the victors.

Eastway Sports won 6-0 at home to Cayton Corinthians Reserves to stay on top of division three.

Man of the match Nathan Till opened the scoring for Eastway, and Mark Taylor made it 2-0 at half-time.

Till then completed his hat-trick after the break to put the result beyond doubt and Scott Prew and Robert Clark also netted late on, the latter scoring a cracking long-range shot.

Seamer Sports Reserves are only behind Eastway on goals difference after earning a 3-1 home win against Tennyson, their third successive victory of the season.

Conner Myerscough opened the scoring for Seamer in the 18th minute with a neat finish after some great team play from the villagers, who were on top throughout the opening period.

Man of the match Matty Dawson then set up Danny Glendinning to make it 2-0 in the 59th minute, and four minutes later another fine move was instigated by Dawson, with Kris Tate taking the ball forward before squaring for Glendinning to tap the ball home.

Kieran Elwell pulled a goal back for Tennyson 15 minutes from time, and the visitors also had two efforts disallowed.

Richard Tolliday was the visitors’ man of the match.

A youthful Scalby Reserves side battled back from 3-0 down at half-time to win 4-3 at home to Sleights Reserves.

A double from Marc Kipling and a Steve McGill effort put Sleights 3-0 up at the interval,

The home side, who started with five 16-year-olds in their team, pulled a goal back on the hour mark when Nick Turley pounced to force the ball home from close range in a goalmouth scramble.

Sixteen-year-old midfielder George Wilson then fired in Scalby’s second and Luke Beaver equalised shortly after for Jeff Brader’s side.

Wilson then hammered in a cracking shot from 20 yards to net all three points for Scalby.

Wilson and Beaver shared the man of the match award for the victors.

Falsgrave Athletic earned a 3-2 home win against Commercial.

The visitors opened the scoring, but Nick Stancill levelled for the home side and a Mikey Anderson penalty put Athletic 2-1 ahead after Gavin McGough had been fouled in the area.

Five minutes from time a setpiece move saw the young visitors level and it looked like both sides would have to settle for a share of the spoils, but Anderson’s second spot-kick, after Lewis Short had been fouled, secured the win with the final kick of the game.

Anderson and Jack Brown were the star men for Athletic.

Westover Wasps Reserves battled back from falling a goal behind twice to earn a 3-3 home draw against new boys Sherburn.

Centre-back Matt Whitehall headed Andy Adamson’s visitors in front after 15 minutes, but 10 minutes before half-time a looping header at the far post from Tom Mackenzie-Fenwick levelled the scores.

Five minutes into the second half, 16-year-old midfielder Alistair Jennings smashed in an unstoppable 20-yard half-volley to put Wasps ahead.

In the 70th minute Sam Rackham ran onto a through-ball and slid the ball past the Wasps keeper and when Liam Scott headed in Sherburn’s third it looked like they would get the win.

Mackenzie-Fenwick had other ideas though, and five minutes from time he netted his second to earn his side a point, and the Wasps could well have snatched a win with several late chances as they went for the three points.

Sixteen-year-old midfielders Jennings and Mark Wade both excelled for the Westover side, with Whitehall man of the match for Sherburn.