Saturday League: Player-boss Cappleman hits perfect hat-trick to send Filey through

Filey Town Reserves player-boss Lee Cappleman hit the perfect hat-trick to help his side into the semi-finals of the Junior Cup after a 4-3 win at Heslerton.

Saturday, 13th December 2014, 7:51 pm
Saturday League round-up by Daniel Gregory

Town trailed 1-0 to a Nick Schofield strike, but Cappleman finished neatly with his left-foot from the edge of the box to level up just after the break.

Cappleman then turned provider as he crossed for Joe Gage to tap in but Heslerton hit back as Nick Schofield hit a brace to put them 3-2 up.

With 15 minutes left on the clock, Cappleman’s free-kick flew straight in after his attempted cross evaded everyone in the box.

The turnaround was complete when Cappleman headed in with only a few minutes left on the clock, handing Town a place in the semi-finals.

Cappleman was man of the match for the victors.

Newlands Reserves are also into the last four after a superb 4-2 win at home to Lingdale United.

First half strikes from Stew Bates and Stefan Moon handed Dougie McGregor and Joe Hakings’ men a 2-0 half-time lead.

Lingdale hit back after the interval, but Lewis Weller smashed in superbly from the edge of the box to make it 3-1.

Once again Lingdale hit back to make it 3-2, but Bates’ second made it 4-2 and finished off the visitors.

A delighted McGregor said: “It was a tremendous performance. It was brilliant from the lads and I couldn’t be happier with them.

“Chris Dove was brilliant in goal for us today, he saved at least three one-on-ones.”

In the third round of the same competition, Cayton Corinthians Reserves crashed out after a 4-0 home defeat against Kirkdale United with Rob Galtrey, Jamie Harper, Jonno Wheeldon and Glen Forrester netting for the Beckett League division two side.

Filey Town’s scheduled League Cup clash at home to Ayton was called off after Ayton couldn’t raise a side.

In the only game to go ahead in division one, champions Newlands beat current league leaders Westover Wasps 6-1.

A Drew McCoubrey strike and two Danny Jenkinson strikes handed Shaun Mancrief’s men a 3-0 lead before James Seymour handed Westover hope just before the break.

Wasps started the second half brightly, but a superb finish from Kile Fields made it 4-1 to the away side.

It was soon 5-1 when Billy Logan netted before a Dan Freer penalty rounded things off for Park. Matthew Griffiths was named as their man of the match.

Wasps boss Heritage said: “6-1 flattered them, In the first half they were the better side, but we matched them in the second half.

“They were just clinical, you have to give them credit, they aren’t champions for no reason.”

Kurt Rose impressed in the Wasps midfield.

Two games went ahead in the second division, champions Edgehill Reserves being held to a 2-2 draw at home to Cayton.

Josh Venner fired the away side into the lead before Keith Skelton levelled matters up.

Cayton were again ahead in fortuitous circumstances when Michael Dennis’ shot ricocheted and found its way to Jack Pinder, who slotted in.

Both sides had chances in the second half, but the only man who could find the net was Edgehill’s Andy Noon, who grabbed a point for Dan I’Anson’s men.

Martyn Ferrey stood out for Edgehill, while Luke Newbold sparkled for Cayton.

West Pier Reserves grabbed a much-needed win with a 5-2 success at home to Snainton.

Snainton led but two towering Steve Sheader headers from corners and a Rob Speight strike put Pier 3-1 up heading into the break.

Man of the match Rob Bowman scored a superb solo strike after cutting in from the flank before Snainton made it 4-2.

Paul Provins rounded the scoring off for Pier when finishing calmly when put through one-on-one.

There was drama galore in division three as runaway leaders Seamer Reserves dropped points for the first time this season when they drew 4-4 at Falsgrave Athletic.

Gareth Sygrove volleyed in after 25 minutes before Falsgrave levelled up.

A Kris Tate free-kick handed Gary Dixon’s men the lead again but Falsgrave again battled back to 2-2, despite Seamer pleading with the referee for a foul on keeper Chris Ferrey.

It was a case of more of the same after the break when Matty Dawson launched an audacious effort from 50yards that flew in to put Seamer 3-2 up.

Again Falsgrave rallied and it was soon 3-3, only for Tate to set Danny Glendinning through to make it 4-2 after 85 minutes.

With just two minutes on the clock, Falsgrave were awarded a penalty that was successfully netted to ensure the spoils were shared.

Dixon singled out Matty Burling as his man of the match.

In another thrilling encounter, Westover Reserves beat Ayton Reserves 4-3 thanks to a superb hat-trick from Tom McKenzie-Fenwick.

McKenzie-Fenwick and Mark Bean put Wasps 2-0 up before Ayton halved their deficit before the break,

It was soon 2-2 and then 3-2 to Ayton after the break, but McKenzie-Fenwick smashed in two more goals to complete his hat-trick and a 4-3 win for Westover.

Boss Paul Brunger singled out midfielder Ross Taylor as his side’s star man alongside hat-trick hero McKenzie-Fenwick.

In another six-goal thriller Commercial and Eastway Sports shared the spoils.

Commercial dominated the first 45 minutes to lead 3-0 at the break.

Eastway never threw in the towel and goals from Eric Hall, Rob Clark and a superb 30-yard free-kick from Nathan Till earned them a draw.

Till was Eastway’s man of the match.

Scalby Reserves beat Tennyson 2-1 in dramatic circumstances after they were awarded two late penalties.

A Jack South penalty put Jeff Brader’s young side ahead before Tennyson levelled before half-time.

As it looked like the game was heading for a draw, young midfielder George Wilson was brought down by the keeper when in on goal and a penalty was awarded.

In bizarre fashion, Wilson’s effort was saved by the keeper, but the ball rebounded to the taker, who was again brought down by the keeper and again the referee pointed to the spot.

This time Dan Argyle took responsibility and fired the penalty in superbly to hand Scalby the three points.

Brader singled out young winger Tom Bayes as his side’s man of the match.

Sherburn won 3-1 at home to Sleights Reserves.

Man of the match Liam Scott grabbed a brace while Jordan Wharton also registered, while Ben Watson netted Sleights’ solitary goal.