Saturday League: Red-hot Hunmanby hit 10

Hunmanby United forward Tommy Wilson keeps the pressure on Whitby RUFC during his side's 10-0 victory in Division One.
Hunmanby United forward Tommy Wilson keeps the pressure on Whitby RUFC during his side's 10-0 victory in Division One.

Hunmanby United chalked-up double figures as they ran riot against bottom-of-the-table Whitby RUFC.

United moved up to fourth place in Division One following their 10-0 win at Sands Lane.

Cameron Dobson led the way with a hat-trick in a game that the home side led 4-0 by half-time.

He was joined on the scoresheet by James Pinder and substitute Kurt Williamson - who both notched doubles - Ryan Baldry and Tommy Wilson.

Scarborough Athletic defender Leigh Franks continued his rehabilitation from a long-standing injury problem by playing for Hunmanby, and was also on target for the victors.

Filey Town eased to a 6-0 home success over struggling Westover Wasps.

Darren Clough hit a hat-trick and Ricky Tomlinson, Nathan Vernon and John Emmerson also found the back of the Wasps’ net.

In the top flight’s other game, Whitby Fishermen beat local rivals Sleights 5-3.

James Fawcett, Billy Graham and Adam Young grabbed the Sleights goals.

Second division leaders Scalby were pushed all the way by rock-bottom Ayton, the Otters scraping a 3-2 success at Carr Lane.

It looked like it was going to be a long afternoon for the visitors when Mark Vasey fired Scalby ahead in the very first minute.

There were however no more goals until just after the hour when substitute Liam Vasey was fouled in the box and older brother Mark stepped up to convert the resulting spot-kick.

Paul Oldroyd headed in to reduce the deficit but Mark Vasey turned provider for Shaun Scales who tucked away the home side’s third of the game.

Ayton were not finished, and they set up a tense finale when man of the match Oldroyd brought the score back to 3-2 when he netted from the penalty spot.

Dan Argyle’s men held firm in the end to claim all three points, but were indebted to goalkeeper Matthew Scott who pulled off a number of fine saves to deny the struggling visitors a share of the spoils.

Edgehill Reserves were in lethal form in front of goal at West Pier Reserves, hitting the net nine times in a one-sided encounter.

Jon Cairns bagged a treble, Tom Scales and Lee Dennis added braces and Benny Davis and Jordan Aitken also registered.

Chris Weetman notched a consolation for Pier.

In Division Three, Westover Wasps Reserves beat Hunmanby Reserves 4-3 despite playing for more than 50 minutes with only 10 men.

Jack South and Jordan Pratt scored in the first half to send the Wasps in 2-1 ahead at the break, but five minutes before the interval they lost a player to injury and were unable to replace him.

South netted from the penalty spot in the second half but Hunmanby levelled things up at 3-3 only for Ryan Myers to grab the game’s decisive goal in the closing stages.

South was named Westover’s man of the match, while Luke Rainton also impressed.

George Wilson hit a hat-trick for Scalby Reserves but his efforts were in vain as Itis Itis Rovers hammered the village side 14-5 in a high-scoring encounter.

Richard Simpson and John Bateman were also on target for Jeff Brader’s men, but problems at the other end of the pitch saw them slip to their second league defeat of the season.