Saturday League round-up

editorial image

Only six fixtures were played as the Saturday League programme was decimated by bad weather and cancellations.

Redcar Athletic Reserves and Bedale Reserves failed to raise sides for their North Riding FA Saturday Challenge Cup games with Newlands Park and West Pier, respectively.

In Division One, Filey Town v Whitby RUFC was also postponed by the visitors for the same reason, while heavy rainfall put paid to the rest of the scheduled matches.

In the only Challenge Cup game to survive, Cayton Corinthians Reserves suffered penalty shoot-out heartache against Beckett League side Ryedale Sports Club.

Polish striker Mike Szalabski fired the Corinthians into a first-half lead, but Ryedale hit back just before the interval.

Neither side could find a decisive goal in the second period, and the match went to spot-kicks.

Michael Dennis, Harry Sleep and Sam Blake all converted their penalties, with Sports Club also netting with their first three efforts.

Martin Harwood and Szalabski then missed either side of a successful strike from a Ryedale man as Damon Cook’s side exited the competition in cruel fashion.

Hunmanby United picked up a comfortable victory on the road at North Cave in the East Riding FA Senior Country Cup.

Veteran Chris Duley gave United the lead after 10 minutes with a tap-in from inside the six-yard box following a corner.

The hosts pulled level when a cross from the byline sailed over the head of visiting keeper Jon Hyde, but Hunmanby were back in front when Tommy Wilson finished off a fine team move.

James Pindar added a third goal for the villagers before the break and they managed to see out the second half in comfortable fashion, even missing a penalty when Wilson was denied from the spot by a good save by the Cave keeper.

The whole Hunmanby team shared the man of the match award after a strong collective showing.

In Division Two, Filey Town Reserves ran riot in their home clash with struggling Snainton.

Player-manager Lee Cappleman led the way with a hat-trick for the victors in a game which they led 6-1 at the interval.

Joe Gage also registered a treble, with Ben Briggs, Scott Sheldon, Martin Cappleman and Matty Dickens rounding off a perfect 10.

Boss Cappleman singled out central midfielder Tom Haxby as his side’s star man.

Division Three table-toppers Eastway Sports survived a second-half fightback by Scalby Reserves to record a 4-3 success.

Eric Hall fired the hosts in front before strikes from Sam Walker and Damian Woolass handed Sports a 3-0 lead inside 15 minutes.

Barely two minutes into the second half, three became four when Walker scored again, despite loud appeals from the visitors for an offside flag that never materialised.

Jeff Brader’s side looked dead and buried, but were handed a lifeline when substitute Jez Clifford broke through and calmly lobbed the Eastway keeper.

Clifford then set up Jon Bateman to slam home for 4-2, and when Karl Hansell got forward from defence to nod in a Nick David free-kick it looked like the village side might earn a share of the spoils.

Scalby pressed hard in the closing stages but couldn’t find a fourth goal and Eastway hung on to maintain a one-point lead over FC Rosette at the top of the table.

Second placed Rosette kept in touch with the league leaders when they came from behind to earn a 3-2 win at Fishburn Park Reserves.

Mark Waterfield showed great strength to work an opening then finished neatly to hand Park a 10th-minute lead.

Paul I’Anson then demonstrated his aerial prowess when he rose to score a trademark header to even things up, before Lewis Hird nodded home to give Rosette the lead before half-time.

Park improved after the interval and were back on terms when Matty Towey netted from a free-kick.

With both side’s pushing hard for a winner, it was Al Wray who popped up with the game’s decisive goal to seal a 3-2 success for the away side.

Thomas Hawkfield was named Park’s man of the match after a solid game at right-back.

A disappointed Fishburn manager Carl Oliver said: “It was a very scrappy game in the first half, but I thought we played well after the break and certainly did enough to deserve a point.”

Sleights Reserves are up to third after a fine 4-1 home victory over Filey Town 3rds.

Darren Clough beat three defenders then rounded the Sleights keeper before firing home to give the visitors an early lead.

Filey’s Aaron Howard then missed the chance to double his side’s lead when he failed to convert from the penalty spot.

The hosts were awarded a penalty of their own shortly afterwards and Spencer Hewitson netted this to tie things up at 1-1.

A stunning strike from Simon Taylor into the top corner of the visitors’ net saw Sleights take a 2-1 lead heading into the break, and second-half goals from Carl Harris, and then Hewison again, rounded off the win.

Taylor Humble was named man of the match by home manager Rob Winspear, who desribed his team’s display as a “good all-round performance.”

Reflecting on his side’s defeat, Filey boss Brandon Milner added: “If we’d scored our penalty and gone 2-0 up then I think it could well have been a very different game.

“We feel that the decision for their spot-kick was very harsh, but to be fair we were atrocious in the second half and that is why we lost the match.”