Saturday League round-up: Cup reports - Edgehill and Falsgrave hold their nerve for penalty success

editorial image

There were plenty of cup games played, with Edgehill sealing their spot in the third round of the Saturday Challenge Cup after a 6-5 win on penalties.

NRCFA Saturday Challenge Cup Round Two

Edgehill 2 (Collins, Jenking) Eastfield St James 2 (Tate pen, McLaren) Edgehill won 6-5 on penalties)

Edgehill held their nerve from the penalty spot to seal their place in the third round at the expense of Eastfield.

The home side led 1-0 after 15 minutes when Danny Collins netted from a tight angle, but Kris Tate’s penalty after Danny White impeded Nathan Till in the box brought things level at the interval.

Edgehill thought they had won the contest inside 90 minutes when Aaron Jenking latched onto a ball over the top and rounded the keeper to score.

But Eastfield ensured the game went to a penalty shoot-out when Jay McLaren netted with the last kick of the game.

Ricky Greening, Collins, stand-in keeper Paul Allick, Jenking, White and Jason Darling all managed to fire in from the spot, while Cameron Dobson, Tate, Till, Sean Kelly and Danny Price also managed to hold their nerve.

But Allick managed to save Luke Purviss’ spot-kick and the win was sealed for Steve Clegg’s men.

Crayke 3 West Pier 4 (Hartnett 2, M Barker, D Cooper)

West Pier were almost made to pay for missing numerous glorious chances against a young and hungry Crayke outfit.

Pier raced into an early 2-0 lead, Mikey Barker opening the scoring before Mike Hartnett doubled the lead.

Crayke fired straight back with two goals of their own but Hartnett’s second ensured Pier led at the break.

Pier again raced out of the blocks after the half-time interval and the goal of the game from Danny Cooper, who curled in with his weaker left foot from the edge of the box, put Pier well in control.

The division one champions could and should have furthered their advantage but a string of missed opportunities gave Crayke the chance to get back into the contest when they netted with five minutes left on the clock.

Pier held on though, sealing their place in the third round.

Stand-in boss Mark Tucker picked out Mark Oldroyd as Pier’s star man.

Seamer SC 1 (Clough) Thornton Dale 2

A sluggish Seamer were dumped out of the competition by visiting Ryedale Beckett League side Thornton Dale.

Darren Clough gave Matty Dawson’s men a 1-0 lead but Dale came back strong, first missing a penalty before proving more successful with their second spot kick, levelling things up at the interval.

Dale netted their winner in the 80th minute of the game.

Seamer’s Dan Jewitt stood out for the home side.

Scalby 0 Staithes Athletic 9

Second division outfit Scalby were also dumped out of the competition, comprehensively beaten on their home turf by Staithes Athletic.

Matty Scott’s men had no answer to the visitors, who ran out 9-0 victors.

Coastal Shellfish League Cup Round Two

Whitby Fishermen’s Society 2 (Calvert 2) Filey Town 3 (P Dickens 3)

Dave Brannan’s Filey Town outfit moved into the third round of the League Cup after a Phil Dickens hat-trick helped his side to a 3-2 win at Whitby Fishermen’s Society.

Filey were ahead when Dickens fired in his first, but 16-year-old Sam Calvert levelled matters up.

The visitors weren’t to be denied though and Dickens’ second ensure they led 2-1 at half-time.

Calvert’s second brought Mark Storr’s men back on level terms just after half-time, but Dickens was in fine form in front of goal and he completed his hat-trick to confirm Filey’s victory and spot in the third round.

Trophy Trader League Trophy Round Two

Athletico2B 4 (Goodwin 2, B David, Dale) Falsgrave 4 (Link, Brady, Johnson, Tolliday) after extra-time. Falsgrave won 3-1 on penalties.

Falsgrave came out on top after an eight-goal thriller had to be settled from the penalty spot.

Billy Johnson’s team led 1-0 through Kieran Link’s stunning strike, but Shaun Goodwin and Ben David struck to give Kev David’s men the lead.

Paul Brady’s effort restored parity before Goodwin’s second gave Athletico the lead once again.

The game had to go into extra-time though after player-boss Johnson kept his cool to make it 3-3 at the final whistle.

His side then looked like they were going to win the contest, Rich Tolliday bagging a superb goal after beating two men to make it 4-3, but a Damien Dale goal ensured the game was to be decided from the penalty spot.

Athletico couldn’t have wished for a poorer start when Shaun Dodson skied his spot kick, before Kurt Williamson took full advantage to make it 1-0.

Nick David then smashed his penalty against the bar and when Gav McGough fired in his penalty, Falsgrave led 2-0.

Shaun Goodwin’s penalty gave Athletico hope as Brady then missed his effort.

But youngster James Leddon also missed, allowing Link to fired in the winning spot kick.

Cayton Reserves 1 FC Soba 8 (Rackham 4, North, Hardisty, Spivey, Walker)

Mike Keld’s FC Soba side romped to an 8-1 win at Cayton Reserves.

Craig Rackham was in fine form, bagging four goals.

Soba led 4-0 at the break and further goals from Lucas Hardisty, Jack Walker, Adam North and Joel Spivey eased them to a comfortable win.

Liam Vasey shone at the heart of the Soba midfield.

Flixton 2 (Laing 2) Cayton 1 after extra-time

Flixton weren’t at their best but managed to sneak a win with the last kick of extra-time to dump Cayton out of the competition.

Ian Laing gave Flixton the lead after 25 minutes, but Cayton levelled and the sides couldn’t add to their tallies in the 90 minutes.

The game looked to be heading for penalties, but when Rich Garton’s header was parried towards Laing, the striker made no mistake snatching a last-ditch win for his side.

Chris Watson and Craig Sherwin stood out for the hosts.

Filey Town Reserves 1 (Flynn) Newlands Reserves 4 (Delve 2, one penalty, Tadman, Hakings)

Newlands Reserves found form to ease past Filey Town Reserves.

Luke Delve opened the scoring for the away side before Lalan Flynn levelled things up.

Newlands’ man of the match James Tadman then put his side back in front before Delve grabbed his second and his side’s third.

Jack Hakings’ header rounded things off at 4-1 for the away side.

Falsgrave Reserves 2 West Pier Reserves 7 (Lee 2, Weetman, Young, Speight, Thorpe, Riley)

Dave Crawford’s West Pier Reserves side ran out 7-2 victors at Falsgrave Reserves.

Jamie Lee fired in a brace for the away side, while there were also goals for Chris Weetman, Carl Young, Rob Speight, Ray Thorpe and Macauley Riley.

Weetman was named as Pier’s man of the match.

Full reports and pictures in Thursday’s Scarborough News.