Saturday League round-up: Cup reports - Edgehill and Pier move into last eight

editorial image

There were a host of cup fixtures in the various cup competitions this weekend, with West Pier and Edgehill both moving into the last eight of the Harbour Cup, while there were also wins for Newlands, Sleights and Athletico2B.


Westover Wasps 1 (Rose) West Pier 2 (M Barker 2)

West Pier scraped past a determined Westover side to move into the quarter-finals of the Harbour Cup.

Westover started the stronger of the two sides and deservedly took the lead after 20 minutes when Curtis Rose netted.

The home side almost doubled their lead but Pier defender James Wardle hacked off the line.

Pier only started to get a foothold in the game after 30 minutes and managed to pull level when Mike Hartnett and Ronnie Lamb worked a chance for Mike Barker, who fired in off the post.

Pier sneaked into the lead before the interval when Wardle carried the ball up the right flank and crossed to the back post, where Barker was in the right place to rifle in on the half-volley.

The away side improved in the second half and managed to stave off any threat from Dave Gaddass’ Westover side, who were reduced to 10 men for the last 10 minutes after keeper James Burrows suffered an injury.

Pier boss Andy Spivey said: “Credit has to go to Westover. They are never beaten and always keep running and battling.

“We didn’t start well and they were the better side, but we got ahead and were reasonably comfortable in the second half.”

Jamie Heritage and Rose were the home side’s top performers, while Mikey Barker was Pier’s star man after his match-winning brace.

Edgehill 5 (Warnett 2, A Coulson, Jenking, Craig) Fishburn Park 0

Steve Clegg’s Edgehill side breezed into the draw for the quarter-finals after a 5-0 win at home to struggling Fishburn Park.

Winger Phil Warnett continued his fine form with the opening two goals for the home side.

His first came when his volley from the edge of the box took a deflection and beat the keeper, with his second coming after a neat team move.

Former manager Alec Coulson made it 3-0 after 30 minutes when he held the ball up with his back to goal before beating his marker and wrong-footing the keeper and tapping in.

Aaron Jenking’s strike made it 4-0 to Edgehill at the break.

Edgehill took their foot off the gas in the second half and their only further goal came when Dean Craig beat his marker and fired in.

Clegg said: “It was very comfortable, they didn’t have a shot on goal.

“We lost a bit of momentum after Alec Coulson went off injured in the second half, but the game was already won.”

Clegg picked out defenders Jason Darling and Danny White as his stand-out performers.


Newlands 8 (Bates 3, Townley, Fields, Mintoft, Josh Hakings, Johnson) Rillington Athletic 0

It was a very comfortable afternoon for Shaun Mancrief’s Newlands side, who hammered second division Rillington 8-0 to move into the next round of the League Cup.

Striker Stu Bates was in superb form in front of goal as he banged in a hat-trick.

Jordan Mintoft scored the goal of the game as he smashed in from 30 yards.

There were also goals for Kile Fields, Ashley Townley, Josh Hakings and Kristian Johnson.

Boss Mancrief picked out Townley, Josh Hakings and Jack Hakings as his side’s top performers.


Lingdale United 4 Filey Town Reserves 0

Jay Taylor and his Filey Town Reserves side made the lengthy trip to Lingdale in the Junior Cup last eight.

Taylor’s men could never get a foothold in the game against their impressive hosts and ended up on the wrong side of a 4-0 scoreline.

Taylor said: “They passed it well and deserved the win. They were a lot fitter than us as well.”

Town keeper Shane Green had to pull off a string of saves to keep the scoreline at 4-0.

Kirkbymoorside Reserves P-P Flixton


Athletico2B 2 (Goodwin 2) West Pier Reserves 1 (S Garnett)

Kev David’s Athletico2B side edged past West Pier Reserves to move into the next round of the Frank White Trophy.

Athletico were 1-0 up through striker Shaun Goodwin, who wrong-footed Pier keeper Scott Wardman after being put through one-on-one.

Pier were level though after good work from player-manager Dave Crawford down the flank fed Sam Garnett to tap in.

Just minutes later the home side were back in the lead though, Goodwin firing in from the edge of the area.

Athletico held on in the second half, with Pier having a last-ditch Carl Young goal ruled out for offside.

Chris Bowman stood out for the home side at right back.


Ayton Reserves 2 (Stubbings, Duggan) Sleights 3 (Faichney, Watson, Brennan)

Sleights’ superb season continued as they moved through to the next round of the Trophy Trader League Trophy with a 3-2 win at Ayton Reserves.

Former Whitby Town striker Jake Faichney put Sleights 1-0 up but Tyson Stubbings’ effort levelled things up.

Ayton again took the lead through TJ Duggan’s powerful header but they couldn’t hold out until the interval.

Winger Lee Brennan fired in after Sleights hit Ayton on the counter-attack and the sides were level at 2-2 going into half-time.

Sleights were much improved in the second half and they put Ayton under pressure.

The winner didn’t come until the 88th minute though, top scorer Ben Watson finishing well.

Ayton still had a chance to level, but Dan Bywater and Niall Prentice got in each other’s way and the chance went begging.