Saturday League round-up: Cup reports - Pier make progress after Loftus win

editorial image

West Pier sealed their progression into the second round of the FA Harbour Cup, while Fishermen knocked out Eastfield



West Pier 3 (D Cooper, Hyde, T Barker) Loftus 2

West Pier secured their spot in the second round after beating an impressive Loftus outfit 3-2.

Pier, organised by Mark Tucker in the absence of manager Andy Spivey, took the lead after 20 minutes when Danny Cooper lobbed the visitor’s keeper.

Loftus levelled things up heading into the interval but Pier skipper Sam Hyde’s superb goalscoring form continued when he tapped in from a corner.

Loftus again equalised to make it 2-2, but with 15 minutes left on the clock, Neil Thomas released Tommy Barker, who finished well to seal the Sherburn-based side’s spot in the next round.

Tucker picked out right back James Wardle as Pier’s man of the match.

Whitby Fishermen’s Society 5 (N Hart 2, M Swales 2, Calvert) Eastfield St James 1 (Price)

Mark Storr’s Whitby Fishermen’s Society fired back from a goal down to beat Eastfield 5-1 and move into the second round.

Danny Price opened the scoring for Nick Hegarty’s side, but Mark Swales equalised almost immediately and the home side never looked back.

Swales’ second made it 2-1 at the half-time switch around.

The home side extended their lead to 3-1 when Neil Hart fired in, before 16-year-old Sam Calvert made it 4-1.

Hart rounded off the scoring with his second and the Whitby side’s fifth.

Whitby’s keeper Paul Cull was singled out for particular praise.

Fishburn Park 4 (Jobling 2, Gale, Winter) Cayton 2

Fishburn overcame the challenge of division two side Cayton to move into the next round.

A Sam Winter strike made it 1-0 at half-time but Cayton pegged them back.

A double salvo from man of the match Paul Jobling put Fishburn in command at 3-1 before Cayton halved their deficit.

But any fears were ended when Tom Gale scored a goal on the counter to seal Fishburn’s win.


Seamer SC 1 (Clough) Ayton 2 (Jackson, Dennis)

Ayton battled to a 2-1 win at neighbouring rivals Seamer to book their place in round three.

Seamer started the brighter of the two sides but were behind after 15 minutes when a superbly-flighted cross from Neil Fryirs found Ryan Jackson at the back post to head back across the keeper and into the net.

Ayton were 2-0 up when Alex Hamilton’s effort ricocheted off the post to Michael Dennis, who finished emphatically.

Seamer fired themselves back into contention when Ayton’s Mark Vasey headed the ball directly at Seamer striker Darren Clough and into the net.

The home side rallied but some superb defending from Ayton’s Rich Thomas helped his side hang on and seal their spot in the next round.

Ryan Jackson stood out for Ayton, while Jake Moore impressed at the heart of the Seamer midfield.

Hunmanby United 2 (Jenkinson, R Baldry) Filey Town 4 (Pinder 3, P Dickens)

James Pinder smashed in a supern hat-trick to make the difference between derby rivals Hunmanby United and Filey Town.

Town led 2-0 at half-time and despite a strike from Martyn Jenkinson, they took their lead back to 4-1.

Hunmanby rued a missed penalty from Jenkinson and a Tom Rees strike that hit the post shortly after, despite Ryan Baldry firing in to make it 4-2.

Filey hung on for the bragging rights and their spot in the third round.

James Pinder was Filey’s star man, while Chris Duley had a fine game at centre back for Hunmanby.

Falsgrave 0 Lealholm 4

Billy Joe Johnson’s Falsgrave side were dumped out of the competition by an impressive Lealholm side.

Lealholm led 1-0 at the interval after a relatively even first 45 minutes, but the visitors dominated the second half to take the 4-0 win.

Kieran Link and Ronnie Cook played well for the home side despite their defeat.

Kirkdale v Newlands - Match called off due to a waterlogged pitch

Ryedale SC v Rillington Athletic - Match called off due to a waterlogged pitch

Don’t miss Thursday’s Scarborough News for report, pictures, tables and fixtures.