Saturday League round-up: Division One - Ayton secure Newlands win to re-affirm their title credentials

editorial image

Ayton picked up a big win against Newlands as boss Steve Roberts’ superb first season as manager continued.

Newlands 1 (Rigg own goal) Ayton 2 (Roberts 2)

Ayton player-manager Steve Roberts bagged a brace to take his side to a potentially massive win against Newlands to re-affirm their title credentials.

Ayton couldn’t have asked for a better start to the game when they took a second minute lead when Roberts slotted accurately into the bottom corner after good work from Mikey Dennis.

Shaun Mancrief’s Newlands side rallied and were level after 40 minutes when a scramble in the area saw Josh Hakings fire goalwards, only for Ayton defender Simon Rigg score an unfortunate own goal that he knew very little about.

Ayton restored their lead shortly after the break when Roberts was quickest to react after good work from Dennis to fire into the bottom corner again.

Newlands pressed for an equaliser, enjoying the lion’s share of possession, but they couldn’t find a way past a resolute Ayton rearguard, with their keeper Ben Riley in superb form.

Roberts said: “I couldn’t fault anyone of the lads in the side.

“The entire squad were brilliant and we had to battle to get the win.

“Newlands had a lot of the ball but we defended really well.”

West Pier 4 (Wardle, 2 pens, M Barker, T Barker) Ryedale 0

Andy Spivey’s West Pier side cruised to a 4-0 win against a depleted Ryedale side.

The sides were deadlocked at 0-0 after an uneventful first half but a superb Mikey Barker free-kick after Tommy Barker had been brought down just outside the box.

Pier needed only five more minutes to double their lead when Tommy Barker cut in from the flank and fired a fairly innocuous shot goalwards.

The ball kicked up off the surface and evaded Ryedale keeper Rob Campbell.

Pier’s third came when Tommy Barker was felled in the penalty area and full back James Wardle was ice cool in slotting home from the spot.

Wardle had the chance to grab his second when the referee awarded the home side another penalty and the defender again showed why he is know as the ice man in the Pier dressing room by calmly sending the keeper the wrong way to round things off at 4-0.

Hunmanby United 1 Edgehill 7 (Jenking 3, Collins 2, Bradbury 2)

Steve Clegg’s Edgehill side continued their march away from the wrong end of the table with a 7-1 hammering of rock-bottom Hunmanby.

Aaron Jenking was in fine form as he helped himself to a hat-trick, while there were braces from in-form Danny Collins and Dan Bradbury.

Edgehill led 3-0 at the interval and carried their dominance into the second half.

Martin Coulson was their man of the match at the heart of their midfield.

Filey Town 2 (P Dickens, Cappleman) Seamer SC 1 (Caw penalty)

Dave Brannan’s Filey Town side’s good start to the season continued with a 2-1 win at home to Seamer.

Filey’s Phil Dickens missed a guilt-edged chance to open the scoring but made amends shortly after when he tapped in a cross from Ricky Tomlinson.

Town then had further chances to extend their lead but they couldn’t capitalise.

Lee Cappleman fired Town into a 2-0 lead and despite Ali Caw halving Seamer’s deficit from the penalty spot and the home side losing James Pinder and Gareth Sygrove to injuries, they managed to hold on to collect the three points.

Brannan picked out Liam Barnes and Ben Briggs as Filey’s stand-out performers.

Eastfield St James 5 (Grayston 3, Purvis, Tate pen) Fishburn Park 0

Eastfield cruised to three points from their home clash against Whitby-based Fishburn Park.

Striker John Grayston was in superb form, netting a hat-trick.

Luke Purvis got his name on the scoresheet and Kris Tate wrapped things up from the penalty spot.

Central midfielder Damien Devine was Eastfield’s man of the match.

Westover Wasps 2 (Varley, Hannam pen) Whitby Fishermen’s Society 4

Mark Storr’s Whitby Fishermen’s Society came away from their potentially tricky clash at Westover with all three points after a 4-2 win.

Fishermen led 2-0 at the break before extending their lead to 3-0 after the interval.

A Daz Varley corner flew straight in to give Westover hope and when Sam O’Flanagan was felled in the area, Chris Hannam slotted home from the spot to make it 3-2.

Fishermen countered Westover though and killed the game off after making it 4-2.

O’Flanagan was named as Westover’s man of the match.