Saturday League round-up: Division one - Newlands stunned by Park


Newlands’ Saturday League division one title ambitions were rocked as their depleted side suffered a shock 3-2 defeat at Fishburn Park.

Fishburn Park 3 Newlands 2 (J Logan 2)

A Newlands side missing 10 first-team squad members suffered a surprising loss in Whitby.

The hosts opened the scoring early on, but Joe Logan levelled for Shaun Mancrief’s troops.

Fishburn then scored twice and looked to be cruising to victory, but Logan’s second gave Newlands hope and he was very close to completing his hat-trick and earning a crucial point.

Logan poked home from close-range in the 89th minute, but was adjudged to be offside.

Jamie Gallagher impressed up front on his return to the team from injury.

Filey Town 3 (Eblet, Pinder, P Dickens) Westover Wasps 2 (Brugner, Buglass)

Filey moved into third place in the division one table with what their boss Dave Brannan labelled as an unimpressive display at home to a buzzing Wasps side.

Man of the match Paul Brugner gave Dave Gaddass’ Westover the lead after a free-flowing move, then Liam Buglass made it 2-0 with a low 10-yard shot set up by strong play down the right flank.

Lee Cappleman then set up Lee Eblet to pull a goal back for Brannan’s side before half-time.

Town levelled in the 70th minute through young striker James Pinder after withstanding a sustained spell of pressure from Westover after the break.

Ten minutes from time, Filey stole all three points with a Phil Dickens strike.

Shane Hare also impressed for Westover, who were very unlucky to lose this game.

Hunmanby United 1 (C Crawford pen) Ryedale Sports Club 3 (Hornby 2, Davison)

Ryedale moved into the top half of the table with a comfortable victory at Sands Lane.

The visitors opened the scoring after 22 minutes with a route one goal, keeper Rob Campbell claiming the ball and then launching the ball high up in the air, finding its way to Adam Hornby at the halfway line, who then raced clear of the United defence and lobbed over the home goalie.

The Pickering-based side made it 2-0 with a Terry Davison volley before half-time, each side having a player sent off just before the break.

It looked like Ryedale were strolling to victory when Hornby scored his second after some superb passing, but two penalties added a touch more drama.

Ryan Baldry’s spot-kick was saved superbly by Campbell, but the latter could do nothing to halt the second penalty, this one being converted by Chris Crawford.

Ryedale boss John Reed hailed his entire team’s superb effort rather than picking a man of the match, while midfielder Matty Robinson was United’s star man.