Saturday League round-up: Division one - Pier snatch last-gasp win over in-form Ayton

Division one round-up. Pictures, tables, fixtures and reports in this week's paper.
Division one round-up. Pictures, tables, fixtures and reports in this week's paper.

Andy Spivey’s West Pier side picked up a huge win after a stoppage time winner from Neil Thomas gave them a 1-0 win against Ayton, while there were wins for Filey Town, Edgehill and Whitby Fishermen’s Society.


West Pier 1 (N Thomas) Ayton 0

Division one champions West Pier took a potentially huge win in the race to defend their title after a 91st minute winner from Neil Thomas gave them a 1-0 win over Ayton.

A fairly even game looked to be heading for a stalemate after Pier rattled the post with time running out, but Mikey Barker, who came out of retirement for the game, raced down the left flank and whipped in a pin-point cross for Neil Thomas to bury the winner.

A delighted Pier boss Andy Spivey said: “It was a close game. I was impressed with Ayton, they’ve got a decent side there and they all work hard.

“Chances were at a premium but I think if any team was going to win it then it was going to be us.

“I thought it just wasn’t going to be our day when Neil Thomas hit the post and it bounced away from our players waiting to tap it in, but Mikey’s cross was superb and Neil was in the right place to win it for us.”

Spivey picked out skipper Sam Hyde as his man of the match, while James Wardle and Mike Hartnett also impressed.

Ryedale 0 Edgehill 5 (Jenking 4, Bowman)

Edgehill produced their best performance of the season to date to win 5-0 at Ryedale.

Alex Bowman put Steve Clegg’s men 1-0 up after 20 minutes with a neat finish, and then it was the Aaron Jenking show thereafter, the striker banging in all four of the remaining Edgehill goals.

His first came after 25 minutes after an incisive cut-back from Bowman before he banged in his second from the penalty spot after Bowman was brought down in the box.

Edgehill were 4-0 up at the interval after Jenking completed his hat-trick with a neat finish over Ryedale keeper Rob Campbell.

The away side had to wait until the 80th minute to get their fifth and Jenking’s fourth when he rounded off a neat team move to finalise the scoring.

Edgehill boss Clegg said: “We played them off the park, we were excellent.”

Clegg picked out Jenking as his star man, while also mentioning midfielder Martin Coulson, who has slipped back into the side seamlessly after a few years away from the game.

Clegg also praised Ryedale keeper Campbell, who pulled off a string of impressive saves.

Westover Wasps 1 (McKenzie-Fenwick) Filey Town 3 (Briggs, Pinder, P Dickens)

Dave Brannan’s Filey Town collected three points from their trip to Oliver’s Mount to take on Westover Wasps.

Filey were 1-0 up when former Scarborough Town full-back Ben Briggs headed in unmarked at the back post.

They were 2-0 up at half-time when young striker James Pinder fired in.

Westover battled back into the game in the second half and managed to halve their deficit through a Tom McKenzie-Fenwick strike, but Phil Dickens ended all hope of a comeback for the home side when he fired in on the 80-minute mark to make it 3-1.

Town gaffer Dave Brannan said: “Credit has to go to Westover - they battled and chased and work hard as a team.
“We started off quite slowly and it was scrappy to begin with, but we settled down and got the lead and played some decent stuff.

“It’s never easy going to Oliver’s Mount and playing football, but we’re happy with the win.”

Brannan picked out centre-back Lee Eblet as his man of the match on the afternoon.

Wasps boss Dave Gaddass said: “We weren’t at the races at all and they took their chances too.

“Our keeper, James Burrows, was superb for us, and Daz Varley played well too.”

Whitby Fishermen’s Society 5 (Bailey 2, Purvis, Scaife, Hart) Eastfield St James 2 (Price, Hegarty)

Whitby Fishermen’s Society put in a solid performance to see off Eastfield 5-2.

Pacy winger Sam Bailey put Mark Storr’s men 1-0 up when he got on the end of a cross and finished well, but Danny Price levelled things up when he lobbed the home keeper with a header.

Fishermen took control after the interval and Jordan Purvis duly restored their lead with a neat finish.

Neil Hart then beat the offside trap and finished well to make it 3-1 before Bailey scored the goal of the game from a tight angle to make it 4-1.

Peter Scaife buried the fifth for the home side after a free-kick, before Eastfield player-boss Nick Hegarty scored a consolation strike for his side with a diving header.

Fishermen’s boss Storr praised his entire side for their efforts, but picked out Purvis as his man of the match.

Eastfield boss Hegarty said: “We weren’t at our best but some of the decisions the ref made didn’t help.”

Hunmanby United 1 Fishburn Park 1 (Gale)

Hunmanby United and Fishburn Park played out a 1-1 draw at Sands Lane.

Tom Gale headed Fishburn into the lead after five minutes after Paul Jobling’s pin-point corner.

Hunmanby were level after half an hour though when they headed home from a corner.

Hunmanby’s Chris Crawford was sent off after 70 minutes, but neither side could find a winner.

Fishburn boss Andrew Wood picked out centre back Josh Crabtree as his star man on the day.

MORE reports, pictures, league tables and fixtures in this Thursday’s Scarborough News. Don’t miss our two-page Saturday league spotlight.