Saturday League round-up: Division two and three - Flixton beat Cayton and Athletico march on

Saturday League round-up: Divisions two and three
Saturday League round-up: Divisions two and three

Flixton sealed victory in their division two clash at home to Cayton, while Athletico2B won at home to Seamer Reserves and Cayton Reserves and Scalby Reserves shared the spoils in a 10-goal thriller.


Flixton 6 (Skelton 3, Jackson, Laing, Hughes) Cayton 2 (OG, Cross)

Mick Stephenson’s Flixton side bounced back from defeat at Snainton last week to win 6-2 at home to Cayton.

Cayton took the lead when Simon Stubbs’ corner was bundled into the Flixton net by one of their own players.

But they bounced back and took the initiative through goals from Tim Jackson and Keith Skelton.

They were pegged back though as Dean Cross netted from the penalty spot to make it 2-2 at half-time.

Flixton improved after the break and totally dominated the second half.

They were 3-2 up through Skelton’s second, and when Ian Laing registered, they were 4-2 up and cruising.

James Hughes put the result beyond doubt when he made it 5-2 and Skelton completed his hat-trick to round things off at 6-2.

Boss Stephenson said: “The first half was very even, but we made a few changes at half-time and dominated the second half.

“Keith Skelton played well up top for us and Tom Hicks had a good game in goal for us. He made a couple of crucial saves when we were 4-2 up.”


Cayton Reserves 5 (Venner, Costigan, Hanson, Barrass, Miller) Scalby Reserves 2 (Gregory 2, Arnott 2, Hansell)

Cayton and Scalby’s reserve sides had to settle for a share of the spoils after a 10-goal thriller.

Scalby led after 25 minutes when Darren Arnott found himself one-on-one and he calmly slotted in.

But Cayton hit straight back and levelled less than a minute later through Zak Hanson.

Cayton then took control and Chris Costigan put them 2-1 up before an absolutely superb strike from Tom Venner, who beat two men in midfield before letting rip with a stunning strike into the top corner, made it 3-1.

Cayton’s Shaun Barrass then headed a corner goalwards and despite the efforts of Rhys Howell on the line and strong protests from the Scalby players, referee Alan Marshall judged the ball had crossed the line and Cayton were in control.

Scalby managed to nick a goal back on the stroke of half-time when left-back Karl Hansell fired in from the edge of the area,

The away side scored within a minute of the re-start and striker Danny Gregory latched onto Howell’s through-ball and slotted past the Cayton keeper to reduce their deficit to 4-3.

The scores were level five minutes later when Gregory raced onto a ball over the top and knocked the ball past the on-rushing keeper before slotting into the empty net.

Scalby’s superb fightback was complete when a long throw from Jez Clifford was flicked on by Gregory to Arnott, who despatched into the net for 5-4 and it seemed Scalby were in control.

Rich Simpson and Arnott had chances to further Scalby’s lead but they weren’t taken and Cayton punished them when Liam Miller’s drive was deflected past Scalby keeper Tom Manson for 5-5.

Athletico2B 2 (Swift, N David, pen) Seamer Reserves 0

Kev David’s Athletico2B’s solid start as a new club continued when they beat Seamer Reserves 2-0.

Sam Swift netted after 25 minutes to give Athletico the lead but they had to wait until the 80th minute to further their advantage.

Ross Kevan’s cross was blocked by a Seamer player’s arm and the penalty was given. Nick David made no mistake from the spot and the win was in the bag.

Boss David picked out Swift and Nick David for their performances, while Connor Myerscough and Tom Curphey played well for Seamer.