Saturday League round-up: Falsgrave seal promotion with win over Edgehill Reserves

editorial image

Falsgrave beat Edgehill Reserves 7-2 to secure a second successive promotion to the top flight, while Pier had to settle for a draw against Westover in division one.


WEST PIER 3 (S Hyde 2, Provins) WESTOVER WASPS 3 (Clark, Hannam, Jones)

West Pier missed out on the opportunity to open up a three-point gap at the top of the division one table when they were held at home to Westover.

The Wasps belied their lowly league position with an impressive display and moved ahead when Tom Clark smashed home from the edge of the box after a corner was cleared striaght to him midway through the first half.

Sam Hyde levelled things up before half-time and a Paul Provins header moved Pier ahead in the 55th minute.

However, the visitors hit back almost immediately, Chris Hannam’s deflected effort restoring parity before Luke Jones finished off an incisive counter attack to put Dave Gaddass’ men 3-2 up.

Hyde’s second of the game - his eleventh goal of the season from the centre of defence - arrived with 15 minutes remaining to earn Pier a share of the spoils.

Ryan Matson and James Seymour shared Westover’s man of the match award while Hyde was Pier’s star man.

NEWLANDS 3 (Delve, Fields, Logan) HUNMANBY UNITED 1

Newlands made up ground on leaders Pier with a 3-1 home success over struggling Hunmanby.

Luke Delve continued his rich vein of form in front of goal to set Shaun Mancrief’s men on their way and goals from Kile Fields and Bridlington Town man Billy Logan wrapped up a crucial three points.

AYTON 1 (Fryirs) EDGEHILL 1 (McNaughton)

An 85th-minute Neil Fryirs strike earned Ayton a deserved point from their clash with in-form Edgehill.

Fryirs smashed home after Edgehill keeper Martin Cappleman parried a Harry Holden shot into his path following a swift break.

Mike McNaughton had put the visitors ahead just after the hour mark when he finished from close range.

Defender Scott Eccles was on top form for Ayton.

FISHBURN PARK 2 SEAMER SPORTS 4 (Lawton (pen), Danby, Clough, Caw)

Seamer put some daylight between themselves and the first division relegation zone with a 4-2 win on the road at rock-bottom Fishburn Park.

Gary Lawton fired Matty Dawson’s charges into a 20th-minute lead from the penalty spot but two goals from Park turned the game on its head.

Joe Danby’s introduction from the bench with just 20 minutes remaining sparked the away side into life and it was 2-2 when the Pickering Town man tapped in at the far post.

Darren Clough moved Seamer back into the ascendancy shortly afterwards and Ali Caw added a late fourth.


EDGEHILL RESERVES 2 FALSGRAVE 7 (Drydale 3, Tolliday, Brady, Anderson, Ellis)

Falsgrave smashed seven goals past Edgehill Reserves to seal promotion to the top flight.

Lee Drydale hit a brace and Rich Tolliday was also on target in the first half as Billy Johnson’s troops headed into the interval with a 3-1 lead.

Drydale completed his treble in the second period and Nick Ellis, Paul Brady and Mike Anderson also picked out the back of the Edgehill net.

Hat-trick hero Drydale was Falsgrave’s man of the match.

CAYTON CORINTHIANS 3 (Pinder 2, J Stockell) SCALBY 1 (Scales)

Cayton claimed a vital win from their relegation six-pointer with Scalby.

Shaun Scales fired Scalby into an early lead but the away side’s advantage did not last long as Jack Pinder levelled things up before the break.

Pinder’s second of the game and a Jon Stockell free kick proved enough to hand Corinthians all three points.


A depleted Flixton emerged from their clash with struggling Rillington with a comfortable 2-0 victory.

James Hughes opened the scoring for the visitors and Luke Chambers added a second goal before the half-time oranges.

There were no more goals after the break as a commanding display from centre-half Richard Garton saw Mick Stevenson’s men home.



FC Soba remain in pole position in the third division after a comfortable win over Falsgrave Reserves.

Tim Moore opened the scoring for the hosts before Craig Rackham kept his cool to beat the Falsgrave keeper after going clean through on goal to make it 2-0.

Soba’s stand-in goalkeeper Georgie Rose was eventually beaten as the away side pulled a goal back after the break but a late Rackham free kick made the points safe.


Scalby Reserves picked up three points from a scrappy encounter with Ayton Reserves at Carr Lane.

In a game where chances were at a premium, it took a moment of brilliance from Nicky Sumpton to break the deadlock, the midfielder curling home an exquisite 25-yard free kick after half an hour.

Ayton pressed hard for an equaliser in the second period but Grant Elwell’s cross from the left flank sailed into the back of the visitors’ to end the game as a contest with barely 10 minutes remaining.

WESTOVER RESERVES 3 (Hodgson, Outhart, Wood) ATHLETICO 2B 5

Athletico2B kept their promotion hopes alive with a 5-3 victory at Westover Reserves.

Kevin Hodgson, Shaun Outhart and Alex Wood were on target for Westover’s second string but their efforts proved to be in vein.