Saturday League round-up: League action - Wasps sting Ryedale while Sleights hit Ayton for nine

editorial image

There was action in all three divisions of the Scarborough News Saturday League, with notable wins for Westover, Edgehill Reserves and Sleights.

Division one

Ryedale 0 Westover Wasps 2 (Buglass, Maw)

Dave Gaddass’ Westover team continued their superb start to the season with a 2-0 win at Ryedale.

Westover had a goal disallowed in the first half, but that was the only real noteworthy action.

Liam Buglass fired Westover into the lead on the hour mark, firing in a superb striker from 25 yards.

Westover’s lead was doubled when Gary Maw headed in at the back post with just 15 minutes left on the clock.

Gaddass’ men held on for a superb win, with Buglass and Sam O’Flanagan impressing up front for the visitors.

Ayton 4 (Dennis 2, Hamilton, Roberts) Fishburn Park 2

Steve Roberts’ fine start to life as Ayton manager continued as he helped his side to a 4-2 win against a rugged and determined Fishburn side.

Mike Dennis fired Ayton into a fifth-minute lead but the Whitby side levelled 10 minutes later.

Alex Hamilton scored the goal of the game after 25 minutes when he rifled into the top corner, before boss Roberts edged his side into a 3-1 half-time lead.

Fishburn rallied and ensured a nervy ending to the clash when they made it 3-2 with 20 minutes left on the clock.

But Dennis was on hand to nod in at the back post after Roberts beat a couple of men and swung in an inch-perfect cross.

Roberts picked out keeper Ben Riley as his star man.

Hunmanby United’s home game against Newlands was called-off due to a waterlogged pitch.

Division two

Snainton 1 (Bell penalty) Edgehill Reserves 3 (Scales, Ferrey, Jones)

Edgehill Reserves eased to a 3-1 win at Snainton.

Goals from Martyn Ferrey, Tom Scales and Danny Jones helped the away side into a commanding 3-0 lead.

A penalty from former Edgehill man Dave Bell reduced Snainton’s deficit, but they couldn’t find a way back into the game.

FC Rosette 5 (J Wray 2, J Logan 2, Atkinson) Rillington Athletic 1

Al Wray’s Rosette were comfortable victors at home to Rillington Athletic.

Two goals apiece from Joe Logan, who has just returned to the club from Newlands, and Jamie Wray helped them on their way.

Nick Atkinson grabbed Rosette’s other goal, while Karim Benfaied and Logan stood out for the victors.

Division three

Sleights 9 (Watson 3) Ayton Reserves 5 (Dove, two penalties, Wallace 2, Duggan)

Sleights stayed at the summit of the third division table after a 9-5 win at home to Ayton Reserves.

Ben Watson was once again in fine form in front of goal as he fired in a hat-trick.

Ayton’s Sam Wallace bagged two goals for his side, while Mark Dove converted two penalties.

TJ Duggan also got his name on the scoresheet for Mark Plumpton’s men, but they were never really in the contest, despite the sending off of Ian Locker for two yellow cards in the first half.

Whitby RFC 4 (Craig 2, Moore, Wilson) Seamer SC Reserves 1

Whitby RFC sealed three points after a 4-1 win at home to Seamer Reserves

Chris Headdlam’s men led through Adrian Moore before Damon Craig rifled in to double the lead shortly after half-time.

Seamer got back into the game on 65 minutes but further goals from subsitute Wilson and Craig’s second of the game on the stroke of full-time sealed a comfortable three points for the Whitby outfit.

Westover Wasps 2 (Bean penalty, Cairns) Scalby Reserves 4 (Howell, Wardell, Simpson, Gregory)

Scalby Reserves collected three points from their trip to Oliver’s Mount to take on Westover.

The away side took an early lead when right winger Rhys Howell powered in after the ball had been cleared off the line.

The home side levelled when Jeff Brader was adjudged to have handled in the box and Mark Bean rifled in his penalty.

Westover took the lead when Joe Cairns finished well after a corner wasn’t cleared properly.

Scalby rallied and levelled through debutant Andy Wardell, before neat work down the left from Darren Arnott and Lee Luntley teed up Rich Simpson to fire in for a 3-2 half-time lead.

Westover put the Scalby rearguard under more pressure in the second half, but couldn’t find the target, with one header being cleared off the line.

And when substitute Danny Gregory was sent through one-one-one to make it 4-2, the away side had sealed the win.

Don’t miss Thursday’s Scarborough News for full round-up with pictures, tables and fixtures.