Saturday League round-up: Newlands beaten at Filey

editorial image

Reigning Saturday League champions Newlands Park lost out 3-1 at Filey Town on Wednesday evening.

Darren Clough put Dave Brannan’s men 1-0 up early on and a Ricky Tomlinson goal doubled the hosts’ advantage.

Sean Exley reduced the arrears when he converted a 40th-minute penalty and Park piled on the pressure in the second period as they went in search of an equaliser.

Town held firm however, and Liam Sugden netted in the closing stages to make the points safe.

Elsewhere in Division One, Whitby RUFC and Sleights shared the spoils in the Whitby derby following a 2-2 draw at the Showfield.

A Lewis Peel strike handed RUFC the lead midway through the first half, but the visitors hit back almost immediately through Ben Watson’s angled drive.

Sam Richardson nodded in at the back post to restore the home side’s lead, but Ryan Roe saved Sleights with a late leveller for the second time in two days when he smashed in a free-kick.

Scalby ran riot in their Division Two clash at Ayton, winning the game by a 13-0 scoreline.

Ashley Townley led the way with a hat-trick, while Matty Smith, Mikey Hartnett and Mark Vasey all bagged braces.

Liam Vasey, Ben Webster and Daniel Wedge were also on target, and Carl Marton grabbed a goal when his attempted cross found its way into the back of the Ayton net.

A hat-trick from Joe Gage helped Filey Town Reserves to their first win of the season, a 6-3 success on the road at Falsgrave.

Lee Lambert opened the scoring for Town, only for Zac Hansen to level things up.

Joe Gage’s quickfire hat-trick saw Filey take a 4-1 lead into the break, but another two goals from Hansen brought the home side right back into the game.

Falsgrave’s hopes of a comeback were dashed when Max gage added a fifth, and Gavin Truelove netted late on to round things off.

West Pier Reserves came from behind to claim a 4-2 away win at Cayton Corinthians Reserves.

Ash Durham sent the Corinthians into half-time in the ascendancy, but a second-half double from Chris Weetman, plus efforts from Dave Crawford and substitute Steve Paxton handed Pier the spoils.

Simon Stubbs came off the bench to register Cayton’s second of the evening.

New boys Goal Sports made it two wins out of two in Division Three when they pulled off a 4-1 win at Commercial.

Player-boss Mark Plumpton curled home a 20-yard free-kick to give his side the lead after half an hour and it was 2-0 less than a minute later when Tyson Stubbings set up Dan Pickard.

Macauley Youngson converted Ryan Somers’ cross just before the interval to give Commerical hope but second-half goals from substitute Mike Grayshan and Niall Prentice sealed the visitors’ success.

Two strikes from Eric Hall and a Nathan Till effort helped top-of-the-table Eastway Sports beat Itis Itis 3-1.