Saturday League round-up: Newlands & Eastfield close the gap

Scalby v Eastfield ,Eastfield go forward...Picture Richard Ponter 1140100b
Scalby v Eastfield ,Eastfield go forward...Picture Richard Ponter 1140100b


NEWLANDS and Eastfield too advantage of Edgehill’s defeat at Filey by collecting wins and closing the gap at the top of the table.

Scalby v Eastfield ,Eastfield put in a tackle..Picture Richard Ponter 1140100a

Scalby v Eastfield ,Eastfield put in a tackle..Picture Richard Ponter 1140100a

Eastfield came from behind at Scalby to win 3-1.

Adam Sample’s effort rocketted in off the underside of the bar as Scalby led for around 25 minutes in a tight first half.

But Eastfield levelled through a Nick Heggarty strike to send the sides in level at the break.

Eastfield’s Danny Glendinning made it 2-1 with a neat chip, but Scalby thought they had levelled when the ball appeared to cross the line after a scramble in the area but referee Paul Moss ruled the goal out.

Scalby v Eastfield ,Scalby attack...Picture Richard Ponter 1140100e

Scalby v Eastfield ,Scalby attack...Picture Richard Ponter 1140100e

And the game was settled when Glendinning finished neatly to make it 3-1.

Newlands picked up a 7-1 win at home to Ayton despite falling behind to Darren Clough’s strike.

But Eric Hall and Dave Thompson both netted a brace apiece and goals from Stu Bates and subs Aidan Thomas and Chris Dove helped them cruise to a 7-1 win.

West Pier failed to capitalise fully on the leaders’ defeat as they stumbled to a 1-1 draw at Ryedale.

Adam Hornby’s opener was cancelled out by a Mikey Barker effort after good work from Tommy Barker and Neil Thomas.

Westover Wasps overcame Cayton 4-2 despite being 2-1 down after an hour.

Josh Sands gave Chris Townsend’s men the lead but strikes from Scott McCabe and Mikey Dennis put Cayton in the driving seat.

But Isaac Sands levelled things up when he chested down Carl Marton’s cross and finished confidently.

Sub Cory Scott then grabbed a brace to secure Wasps a 4-2 win.

Fishburn Park grabbed a massive three points against likely fellow strugglers Hunmanby with a 1-0 success.

Paul Jobling’s goal after 25 minutes secured Park the win.


fc rOSETTE came back from a 3-0 half-time deficit to see off Paddy Parke’s West Pier Reserves side 5-3.

Jon Cairns’ double and a Chris Weetman strike had Pier in the driving seat at the half-time interval, but Rosette came firing back in the second half.

And goals from Jordan Mintoft, Karim Benfaied, Sam Kay, Richard Hewitt and Alex Wray secured their superb turn-around and also all three points for the Newby-based club.

Pier remain at the foot of the league table and are yet to collect a point after their first four games has seen boss Parke missing a host of key players.

Nelson were nearly caught out by another superb comeback as their commanding 7-1 lead manifested into an 8-5 victory over Edgehill Reserves.

Nelson were 5-1 up at the break and then extended their lead to 7-1, their goals coming courtesy of a Luke Delve treble, two from Rob Speight and Sam Garnett and a Kurt Williamson strike.

But the pace of Edgehill front man Tom Scales started to cause problems to a tired Nelson back line and Martin Cappleman’s men almost clawed their way back into the game, but the damage had already been done and Kev Creelman’s men secured the three points.

Nelson moved away from the bottom two following their first win of the season at the fourth time of asking following promotion from the third division last season.

Creelman picked out keeper Steve Malone as the man of the match after a string of superb saves.

Jamie Cornish’s strike wasn’t enough for Jay Taylor’s Filey Town Reserves to come away with any points from their trip to Matty Dawson’s tabl-topping Seamer side.

Dawson’s men picked up their fourth league victory on the spin - a 3-1 win - despite falling behind to Cornish’s strike.

Tom Watson played well at the heart of the Filey defence despite their defeat.

Another promotion-chasing side, Flixton, picked up a comfortable 5-0 win at Newlands Park Reserves.

Flixton, who were relegated into the second division last term, will be hoping to bounce back at the first tme of asking.

Eastfield St James Reserves earned a 5-1 win at home to Rillington in the other game in the second division.


FALSGRAVE FC continued their rampant start to the season with a massive 18-0 crushing of Seamer Reserves - as six players incredibly netted hat-tricks for Billy-Jo Johnson’s men.

Paul Brady, Nick Ellis, Mikey Anderson, Clayton Walker, Richard Tolliday and Kieran Link smashed in three goals apiece as Falsgrave ran riot.

The pick of the goals were Walker’s one-touch finish following a neat team move, and Anderson’s left-foot volley.

Their win takes Falsgrave on to five wins from five matches and 15 points.

Johnson said: “We were superb. I don’t know if it is a record but I doubt many teams have ever had six hat-tricks in one game.”

FC Soba bounced back from their first defeat at the hands of Falsgrave last week with a 4-1 victory against fellow promotion candidates Snainton.

The game was level at 0-0 at the interval but Craig Rackham netted from the penalty spot after Liam Vasey hit the deck in the area.

Snainton levelled almost immediately though as a poorly weighted back-pass from Georgie Rose was intercepted and Snainton netted.

But Rose atoned for his error by finding the net to put Soba 2-1 up.

Rackham made it 3-1 after Vasey threaded him through before Rose also grabbed a goal to complete their win and keep up the pressure on Falsgrave at the summit of the league table.

Mark Plumpton’s Ayton Reserves side were 10-1 winners against Scalby Reserves, who have now conceded 57 goals in six games.

Danny Bywater bagged four goals, including a superb strike from 25-yards.

Beanpole forward Steven Frederikson bagged two goals, as did sub Stu Mawer, while Danny Philps and Mark Craven completed the rout.

Cayton Reserves lost 2-1 to Whitby RUFC while Ganton are yet to register a point after they were beaten 4-0 at home by newcomers Sleights.