Saturday League round-up: Rillington seal cup passage as Pier edge past Newlands


RILLINGTON Athletic will be in the hat for the last eight of the Scarborough FA Junior Cup after they beat Filey Town Reserves 2-1 to seal their progression.

Athletic had a 2-0 lead at the half-time interval as they took advantage of a lacklustre Filey effort.



Johnny Hunter’s long range free-kick was mis-judged by the Athletic keeper and Filey halved their deficit, but they couldn’t find another goal to take the game into extra-time.

Rillington defended stoutly and managed to hold back Filey’s bombardment.

Jay Taylor’s men hit the woodwork twice as they poured forward in search of a leveller but they will have to concentrate their efforts elsewhere.

FC Soba are also through after they won 4-1 on their travels at Goldsborough.



Soba fell behind but a Matty Turner free-kick and a brace from Terence Breckon put Soba in charge, before man of the match Georgie Rose netted to complete the scoring.

FC Rosette booked their place in the next round after they beat fellow division two outfit Flixton 3-2.

Player-boss Joe Logan put his side 1-0 up when he followed up his initially blocked effort to fire into the back of the net.

Jon-Paul Watson made it 1-1 going into the half-time interval, but Rosette marksman Brett Fitzsimmons’ strike put his side back into the lead.

Saturday football'Scalby Reserves,yellow v Ganton...Gantons keeper tips a shot away.'Picture by Neil Silk  114682b'19/11/11

Saturday football'Scalby Reserves,yellow v Ganton...Gantons keeper tips a shot away.'Picture by Neil Silk 114682b'19/11/11

An own goal by veteran defender Paul Scott put Flixton back on terms but Fitzsimmons produced a delicate lob over the Flixton keeper to send Rosette into the fourth round.

Billy-Jo Johnson’s Falsgrave side will be both frustrated and proud after they came close to upsetting the odds on their travels against highly-fancied Kirkbymoorside Reserves.

Falsgrave were 1-0 down at the break and fell further behind just after the switch around.

But Paul Brady rounded the Kirkby keeper to give Falsgrave a fighting chance of an upset.

Saturday football'Scalby Reserves,yellow v Ganton'Picture by Neil Silk  114682c'19/11/11

Saturday football'Scalby Reserves,yellow v Ganton'Picture by Neil Silk 114682c'19/11/11

Falsgrave had chance after chance to level things up but Mikey Anderson, Brady and Richard Tolliday all spurned their chances, and Kirkby punished them by making it 3-1 and booking their spot in the next round.

Boss Johnson said: “We didn’t get the rub of the green at all.

“When we got it back to 2-1 we hammered them.

“We had a lot of chances to get an equaliser, but we didn’t take them and it cost us.”

Ayton Reserves were comprehensively put out of the competition by a highly impressive Lealholm side, who included former Whitby Town front man Tom Raw in their side.

Raw & Co were in no mood to suffer an upset and ran in six unanswered goals in the first half.

Saturday football'Scalby Reserves,yellow v Ganton'Picture by Neil Silk  114682e'19/11/11

Saturday football'Scalby Reserves,yellow v Ganton'Picture by Neil Silk 114682e'19/11/11

After the break they managed a further six to complete a 12-0 mauling and make their progression into the fourth round.

West Pier picked up a huge win in division one after a scrappy clash against Newlands.

With both sides harbouring title ambitions, neither wanted to give too much away and a tense, scrappy affair ensued, with referee Bill Pashby having to brandish his yellow card on numerous occasions.

Both sides managed to carve out scoring opportunities before Pier took a 1-0 lead on 35 minutes.

Right-back Mark Tucker’s deep cross was mis-judged by a crowded box before Tommy Barker ghosted in from the left and swept the ball past Newlands keeper Sean Pinder.

Scores remained the same until the hour-mark, when Pier went 2-0 up when a scramble in the area fell to Barker, who expertly picked out Neil Thomas to find the net.

Despite both sides lacking their usual quality on the ball, both carved out chances to add to the scoreline.

Newlands hit the bar twice through Dave Thompson and Paddy Mancrief, while a mistake by Newlands keeper Pinder almost allowed Pier to add to their tally.

But it finished 2-0, much to the delight of Pier boss Andy Spivey. He said: “It was a very close game, very scrappy really and neither side had too many chances on goal.

“But we’re delighted to take a big win. Newlands aren’t an easy side to beat and they showed that again but we just nicked it in the end.

“Aaron Rose was outstanding for us in the middle of midfield with Ronnie Lamb.

“It got a bit scrappy in there and he did very well. Every week he improves and he’s doing really well after coming up from the reserves this season.”

All three of the other title hopefuls managed to keep up with the pace as they picked up maximum points.

Filey Town were at their imperious best as they swept aside Fishburn Park 11-0 at Clarence Drive.

Dave Brannan’s men could have even added to their impressive tally was it not for Fishburn’s keeper, who made a number of top saves.

But hat-tricks from James Pinder, Cameron Dobson and Phil Dickens, who converted twice from the penalty spot, helped Filey to a comfortable win.

Their tally was rounded off by goals from Liam Sugden and Martin Barnes.

Brannan said: “It was an excellent team effort and the lads played really well.

“I couldn’t pick a man of the match as the whole team impressed.

“We’ve started the season a lot stronger than last season and as long as it’s in our hands I’m very happy.”

Terry Jenkinson’s Edgehill side stay top of the pile after beating Ayton 6-2.

Edgehill were 3-0 up at half-time through a goal from Luke Jenkinson and a Dane Ramos brace.

Steve Roberts and Simon Rigg found the net to make it 3-2 and apply some pressure to the home side, but Jenkinson managed to beat a couple of defenders and smash into the bottom corner for 4-2 to give Edgehill some breathing space.

Jenkinson, who impressed throughout the match, then completed his hat-trick when he headed in from a pin-point cross by Ricky Greening.

Greening then registered to complete the scoring and seal Edgehill’s eighth league win of the season.

Boss Jenkinson said: “Luke and Ricky were impressive up front for us.

“Danny White played well in a three-man defence. But it was a good team effort all-round really.”

Eastfield St James also added three points to their tally with a 6-3 win at Rhys Howell’s struggling Cayton side.

Danny Glendinning was the stand-out performer for Kev David’s title-chasing team as he netted four times to further increase Cayton’s relegation worries.

Ben Salt and Daz Wilford also netted for Eastfield, who have now won seven from their nine league meetings to date.

Cayton fought well in the first half and were level at 1-1 and 2-2, their goals coming from a Michael Dennis 40-yard strike and Matt Perry’s glanced header.

But Eastfield asserted themselves on the clash in the second half to take a 6-2 lead before a Jon Ellwood own goal finished the scoring at 6-3.

Scalby player-manager Matthew Scott was in inspired form between the sticks as his numerous saves, including one from the penalty spot, helped secure his side a crucial 4-3 win at Ryedale.

Makeshift striker Daniel Wedge headed home Danny Gregory’s corner to put the away side 1-0 up before an Adam Stride effort from outside the area drew a deflection and went in off the post.

Scalby were caught napping from a corner and Matty Allison took advantage to steer home at the front post for 2-1.

But Scalby midfielder Ashley Townley lobbed the Ryedale keeper to restore Scalby’s two-goal cushion.

Ryedale once again fought back to make it 3-2 when Adam Hornby squeezed through the defence and slipped the ball under Scott.

But Scalby were 4-2 ahead when Keith Hunter headed home from a corner. But Ryedale never gave in and Chris Rhodes struck a superb left-foot strike past Scott to make it 4-3.

Ryedale poured forward and found Scott in inspired form. Ben Richardson had the chance to level from the spot but Scott guessed right and palmed away to seal Scalby’s win.

Westover Wasps also collected a big win from their potentially tricky visit to Sands Lane to take on Hunmanby United.

A Jon Cairns tap-in had Chris Townsend’s men a goal to the good, but Tom Rees levelled things up for the home side when he lobbed the Wasps keeper.

Despite putting in an impressive performance, Hunmanby keeper Josh Crawford made a fatal error that let Cairns grab his second and seal a massive three points for his side.

Elliott Sill was nominated as Wasps man of the match, while Hunmanby official Brian Robson singled out unlucky keeper Crawford, and defender Chris Crawford, as the home sides’ star performers. Hunmanby move into the bottom three as a result of their defeat.

NELSON striker Luke Delve smashed in five goals to fire his side to a 6-1 win at West Pier Reserves in division two.

Delve’s first two strikes put Kev Creelman’s men 2-0 up at the half-time interval, before the same man popped up twice after the break to double their lead to 4-0.

Delve’s strike partner Rob Speight then found the net himself to make the score 5-0 before Pier hit back with a goal of their own for 5-1.

Delve rounded off his star performance and Nelson’s victory with a sixth goal to complete his double hat-trick and send boss Creelman home a happy man.

Creelman said: “We’re starting to find some form now and hopefully we can keep the team together and start to move up the table.

“We still think we can get up into the top half and maybe push the top sides, but we’ve got some big games coming up and we’ll need to win those.”

Another team harbouring hopes of promotion to the top flight are Whitby Fishermen’s Society - and they ran out 5-2 winners at Newlands Park Reserves.

Mark Storr’s men only had to wait 30 seconds to break the deadlock when James Armstrong netted, before Mitch Lund made it 2-0 before half-time.

Winger Sam Bailey made it 3-0 before Newlands pegged the visitors back to 3-1.

But Mark Swales and Armstrong found the net to make it 5-1, before Park grabbed a late consolation.

Top-of-the-table Seamer Sports Club dropped their first points of the 2011/12 season when they were held to a frustrating 2-2 draw by Eastfield St James Reserves.

Seamer went ahead when Craig Love’s free-kick found Matthew Tiffany, who volleyed in superbly.

A goalkeeping error helped Eastfield make it 1-1 as the sides went in at the break on level terms.

Gary Lawton restored Seamer’s lead when he reacted first after a goalmouth melee to find the back of the net.

But another mistake at the back by Matty Dawson’s men allowed Shaun Goodwin to take a point for Eastfield.

Boss Dawson said: “We should have buried the game in the first half, but credit to Eastfield as they had chances to win it late on as well as us.

“The game could have gone either way so maybe a point is a positive outcome for us.”

DANNY I’Anson’s Snainton side picked up three points from their home clash against Seamer Sports Reserves to close the gap on Falsgrave, Westover Reserves and Soba at the top of the division three table.

Lee Drydale fired Snainton into an early lead before recent signing, former Edgehill and Kirkbymoorside defender Leigh Watson opened his account for the home club to double the lead.

Seamer pulled one back through Danny Kelly but were reduced to 10 men on the half hour mark when player-manager Daniel Layton was sent off for foul and abusive language.

Drydale bagged his second and third of the match to put Snainton well in charge of the contest at 4-1 after the interval.

Watson marked his return to the club with a second goal when he picked up the ball, charged at the Seamer defence and planted a fearsome strike into the bottom corner to make the scoreline 5-1.

Drydale rounded things off with his fourth and Snainton’s sixth to complete a good afternoon for I’Anson’s side.

The Snainton boss said: “We played well in patches and deserved the win.

“Rob Holt stood out for us in the middle of the park and Daz Palmer did what he needed to in goal while organising the defence well.”

Westover Wasps Reserves were left fuming after they conceded two late strikes to hand Whitby RUFC a 5-3 success.

Paul Oldroyd put Westover 1-0 up, then Whitby levelled before Liam Buglass’ 19th of the season made it 2-1.

Whitby again pulled it back level and then went ahead for the first time in the match.

Substitute Josh Bowmaker rifled in a superb strike to make it 3-3 and Wasps piled on the pressure, but two goals - both of which they thought were offside - saw Whitby claim the win and Wasps came away with nothing.

Scalby Reserves and Ganton are becoming stranded at the bottom of the table after drawing 2-2 at Carr Lane.

Ganton took the lead before Glen O’Neill levelled things up.

The visitors again went ahead but were denied the win when Jeff Brader headed home in the 90th minute to seal a point for Scalby.