Saturday League round-up - Scarborough pair make the last four of Challenge Cup

editorial image

Edgehill and West Pier will be keeping a very close eye on the draw for the semi-finals of the North Riding County FA Saturday Challenge Cup after they beat Bedale and University of York Amateurs in their respective quarter-finals.


University of York Amateurs 2 (Bainbridge, Trant) West Pier 2 (A Sheader, Sygrove) WEST PIER WON 6-5 ON PENALTIES

Andy Spivey’s West Pier side recovered from conceding a last-minute equaliser to win 6-5 on penalties against University of York Amateurs and move into the semi-finals of the North Riding County FA Saturday Challenge Cup.

Pier played into a strong wind in the first half but took the lead after 25 minutes when Andy Sheader headed in.

Their lead was doubled when Mikey Barker released recent signing Gareth Sygrove, who finished well for 2-0.

The students gave themselves hope right on the stroke of half-time when centre back Matt Bainbridge bundled in after a corner and halved is side’s deficit at 2-1 heading into the interval.

A fairly un-eventful second half ensued and it looked like Pier were going to edge through to the last four until Jamie Trant’s left-footed strike in the 88th minute sent the game to a penalty shoot-out.

Paul Provins marked his first game back in action after several months out injured by missing Pier’s first kick and Pier looked in trouble after the Uni side netted their first four.

James Wardle showed why he is called the ice man by netting his pen while Daz Crawford, Steve Sheader and Sam Hyde all scored from the spot.

Keeper Jon Hyde saved the Uni side’s fifth and when the home side missed again it was upto Mikey Barker to slide in from the spot and he did just that to send Pier through.

Boss Spivey picked out central midfielders Daz Crawford and Danny Cooper as his side’s star men.

Bedale 0 Edgehill 2 (A Coulson)

Edgehill set up a possible all-Scarborough semi-final clash after a comfortable 2-0 win at Bedale.

Steve Clegg’s men had a glorious chance to take the lead after 15 minutes but Phil Warnett spurned the opportunity.

Macie Kapynski then rattled the woodwork as Edgehill kept up the pressure on their hosts, but they couldn’t find a way through and the sides went in level at the break.

It took Edgehill until the 85th minute to finally break the deadlock when Warnett produced some good work down the fired goalwards and after the keeper parried away, Alec Coulson was on hand to tap in.

The referee played around six minutes of stoppage time after a nose injury was suffered by a Bedale man and the home side lobbed direct balls forward trying to utilise their impressive winger.

But the away side managed to counter and Coulson fired in neatly with the outside of his foot to seal a memorable win for Clegg’s men.

The victorious manager picked out defenders Lloyd Henderson and Jason Darling as his side’s stand out performers.


Fishburn Park v Whitby Fishermen’s Society - This game was abandoned after 15 minutes due to a serious injury suffered by a Fishermen’s player.


Snainton 6 (Watson 2, Mintoft, Hodgson, P I’Anson, Wilson) FC Rosette 1 (Scott)

Danny I’Anson’s Snainton side continued their promotion charge with a convincing 6-1 win at home to FC Rosette.

Striker James Wilson gave Snainton the lead after when he finished neatly at the back post after a neat team move.

Rosette levelled things up though when a free-kick caught the win and struck the bar before landing at the feet of wily veteran Paul Scott to smash in for 1-1 at half-time.

The home side improved after the break and Leigh Watson notched to make it 2-1 with a stike that lacked power and should really have been saved by Daz Palmer in the Rosette goal.

Palmer was beaten again moments later when Liam Mintoft lobbed him from 25 yards before Watson notched his second after rounding the visiting keeper and tapping in for 4-1.

Palmer was lobbed yet again when Lee Hodgson’s strike soared over him and into the net, and his miserable afternoon was complete when he allowed Paul I’Anson’s 40-yard strike to creep underneath him and into the net for 6-1.

Boss Danny I’Anson said: “We know that Daz gets lobbed a lot so we wanted to target him and it worked.

“We have a massive month ahead now and we need to keep picking up points if we’re going to go up again.”

Falsgrave 0 Scalby 0

Faslgrave and Scalby played out a goalless draw on a boggy and difficult playing surface at Oliver’s Mount to take a point apiece.

Both sides had their chances to break the deadlock but saves from Scalby’s Matty Scott and a stunning fingetip stop from Falsgrave’s Richard Curtis to deny Danny Birley kept the scores at 0-0 at half-time.

Again both sides had chances in front of goal is the second half and both keepers were worked, but a mixture of poor luck in front of goal for the home side and some superb, last-ditch defending from Scalby’s Gareth Oxley helped keep the score at deadlock and ensure a point for his side,


West Pier Reserves 0 Athletico2B 1 (Dodson)

Kev David’s Athletico2B struck a huge blow in the division three promotion race after a comfortable 1-0 win at West Pier Reserves.

Shaun Dodson’s header in the 15th minute was enough to seal the points.

They could have added to their tally but were wasteful in front of goal against a surprisingly lacklustre Pier side.

Boss David picked out goalscorer Dodson as Athletico’s star man.

Whitby RFC 2 Ayton Reserves 4 (Craven 2, Plumpton, Dove pen)

Ayton Reserves’ superb run of form continued with a 4-2 win at Whitby RFC.

The away side were 2-0 up through a Mark Craven brace before Whitby replied just before the interval to make it 2-1.

Ayton restored their two-goal lead when Cory White was fouled in the box and Mark Dove netted from the spot before player-boss Mark Plumpton managed to tap in at the second attempt after shooting straight at the keeper.

Whitby bagged a late consolation strike but it was too little-too late for the home side.

Dave Ledden was in fine form at left-back for the victors.