Saturday League: Seamer Reserves march on

Third division leaders Seamer Sports Reserves continued their flawless start to the Scarborough News Saturday League season with a 3-0 home win against Sherburn, while Edgehill Reserves romped to a 10-1 home win against West Pier Reserves to claim pole position in the second division.

Saturday, 8th November 2014, 6:07 pm
Seamer v Sherburn . pic Rich Ponter 144538c

A Gaz Walters back-header from Craig Love’s corner put the leaders in front in the 20th minute at home to a hard-working Sherburn side, and the hosts doubled their lead from another Love corner two minutes after the interval, centre-back Matty Drury firing in after his initial effort was parried by the visiting keeper.

In the 55th minute a storming 25-yard shot from striker Gareth Sygrove wrapped up the points for the hosts, for who keeper Josh Broadhead was the star man.

Scalby Reserves earned a fine 3-1 win at Sleights Reserves.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Seamer v Sherburn . pic Rich Ponter 144538e

Craig Furnell put the visitors ahead from the penalty spot and Finnish left-back Janne Ilonen rose like a salmon to head in Scalby’s second before half-time.

The home side stepped up a gear after the break and halved the deficit, but a cool finish from Nick Turley in the 85th minute after fine work from Taylor Jordan made sure of the points.

Jeff Brader gave the man of the match award to the whole team for their superb work ethic.

Westover Wasps Reserves battled back from a goal down to win 2-1 at Commercial.

Jackson Jowett’s deflected shot put the home side in front but midway through the half Leroy Donaldson levelled from the penalty spot after Mark Wade had been brought down in the area.

Player-manager Paul Brunger then curled in a stunning free-kick from 35 yards to put this side ahead and despite a keenly-contested second half there were no further goals.

Left-back Ben Watson was man of the match for Commercial and Will Smith for Westover but both managers, Luke Jenkinson, and Brunger, hailed their respective squads for their efforts in a well-fought game.

JP Watson hit a hat-trick as Edgehill Reserves went into top spot in division two with a 10-1 home win against a depleted West Pier Reserves side.

Martyn Ferrey also hit a brace, while Damien Robinson, Maciey Kapozynski, Keith Skelton, Mikey Barker and sub Dave Bell also netted.

Ferrey’s second goal was the pick of the bunch, as he scooped the ball over the Pier keeper after a fine move, while Bell scored a superb solo goal taking the ball past several Pier players before slotting home.

Kapozynski and Robinson shared the man of the match award for Edgehill.

Cayton Corinthians defeated promotion rivals Scalby 5-2, with Michael Dennis scoring twice for the visitors.

Harry Holden, Josh Venner and Jake McAleese also netted for the visitors, while Daz Arnott and Rich Simpson struck for the home side to bring it back to 2-2 in the second half.

Man of the match for the home side was Shaun Scales.

Whitby RUFC surged into second spot with a 7-2 win at Duchess.

Mikey Kilpatrick, after fine play from Paul Jobling, put the away side in front, followed by a Jordan Purvis strike.

Duchess man of the match Tom Hicks headed in to give the home side hope but a Dave Welham penalty restored Whitby’s two-goal advantage before the interval.

Sam Richardson added a fourth, with a Jobling double and a Marc Usher effort completing the scoring for Ste Mothersdale’s side, Luke Midgley scoring a second for the hosts with a stunning 20-yard strike.

A Stew Bates hat-trick helped Newlands Park Reserves fight back for a 4-4 draw at Snainton.

Shane Holt fired the hosts in front, only for Bates to level but star man Karl Cooper made it 2-1 to Snainton from the spot after Liam Mintoft had been fouled.

Bates equalised again but Martin Kelly struck to put the villagers in front at the interval.

Kelly fired in his second from the edge of the penalty area after an outstanding through-ball from Josh Beach and Snainton looked to be odds-on to win, but Newlands’ man of the match Bates made it 4-3 from a penalty and five minutes from time veteran Franny Lightfoot levelled for Park.

Filey Town surged to a 4-0 win at struggling Ryedale Sports in division one, with all four of their strikers getting a goal apiece.

James Pinder marked his return after a five-week absence with injury with the first goal on 20 minutes, and new signing Tommy Wilson scored his first for the club to make it 2-0 at the interval.

Sub Cameron Dobson netted with his first touch in the make it 3-0 and sub Daz Clough, another new recruit, wrapped up the win in the 65th minute with a great strike into the bottom right corner of the net.

Centre-backs Gary Wardle and skipper Ben Briggs were the star men for Town.

Seamer claimed a superb 6-1 win at Sleights, Gaz Lawton firing in a first-half hat-trick for Paddy Parke’s side.

After Lawton’s treble had put Seamer 3-0 at the break, fellow striker Travis Wood sealed the win two minutes into the second half with the fourth.

Ben Watson pulled a goal back two minutes later but Seamer wrapped up the win with headers from Jamie Hartley and Ben Mason.

Lawton was the man of the match in a great all-round display from the visitors, while Andy Hardy was the star man for Sleights.

Newlands Park worked hard for a 4-0 home win against Lingdale in the NRCFA Saturday Challenge Cup.

Drew McCoubrey fired Park in front in the first minute after beating the keeper in a challenge, and Danny Jenkinson made it 2-0 on 25 minutes in similar fashion.

McCoubrey’s second goal wrapped up the win in the 50th minute, a fine finish into the top corner of the net, and then the goal of the game, finished off by Dan Freer after a superb run by Kyle May and a good pass from Matty Shone, confirmed their place in the third round.

May and reserve keeper Sean Pinder were the joint men of the match for Park.

The League Cup game between Filey Town Reserves and West Pier was abandoned after 90 minutes due to an unfit pitch, the division one high-flyers having netted their leveller seconds from time through sub Neil Thomas.

Player-boss Lee Cappleman put the second division hosts in front from the spot after he had been fouled, but Danny Cooper levelled with a brave header only for Billy Coyne to restore Town’s lead,

Just as it looked like Town were going to pull off a major shock, sub Thomas - who was carrying a knock - tapped the ball home, and the ref ruled the game could not continue to extra-time as the pitch was waterlogged.

Cappleman hailed his entire team’s efforts in almost pulling off the shock, while his opposite number Andy Spivey was also full of praise for the hosts’ efforts in a game marred by the wet conditions.

FC Rosette worked hard for their 3-2 home win against third division Eastway Sports in the League Trophy.

Wayne Shaw set up Lee Wardle to open the scoring for Rosette with a powerful shot, and Shaw’s free-kick sailed into the net to make it 2-0 to the hosts.

Five minutes before the break Eric Hall’s cracking free-kick pulled a goal back for the away side.

Rosette restored their two-goal lead in the 55th minute when Al Wray’s left-footed strike beat the Eastway keeper.

The visitors then piled on the pressure and their efforts paid off with a Danny Manning header 10 minutes from time, but Rosette held on for the win.

Jack James, 16, was the Eastway man of the match, while centre-back Martin Hadrick was the Rosette star man, although his central defensive partner Martin Russell also shone.

Second division Athletico2B won 5-3 at home to third division Tennyson, Shaun Dodson and Sam Swift both netting twice for the hosts.

James Ledden netted the other goal Nick David’s team, the pick of the home goals a 30-yard free-kick for Dodson’s second to make it 4-1, while Swift’s second - and the home side’s fifth - was also a great finish from the edge of the penalty area. Right-back Leon Dunn was the star man for the Cats.

Tennyson man of the match Nathan Patterson, Reagan Ingle and Sam Mahoney netted for Nige Trotter’s young team.