SATURDAY LEAGUE: USB stunned by Filey Town Reserves

editorial image

Filey Town Reserves earned a shock 3-2 home win against second-placed USB as David Oxley’s side missed out on the chance to secure promotion from division two of the Scarborough News Saturday League on Easter Monday, while division one champions-elect Newlands Park grabbed a late 2-2 draw at lowly Whitby Fisherman’s Society - ending Park’s 100 per cent record in the league.

Scarborough News Saturday League

Division two

Filey Town Reserves 3 (Kempson, M Gage, J Eblet) USB 2 (T Williamson, Buckross)

A first-half blitz saw Filey Town Reserves claim a surprise 3-2 home win against promotion-chasing USB, the visitors only scoring their goals in the final 12 minutes.

First-half efforts from player-boss Dan Kempson, Max Gage and Joe Eblet saw the home side take a firm grip of the game.

USB struck twice in the final 12 minutes through Tom Williamson and Sean Buckross, but the visitors could not fight back to secure the three points that would have secured them promotion as runners-up to Edgehill Reserves.

Kempson praised the centre-back pairing of Ben Eblet and Nathan Robson, the former claiming the man-of-the-match award.

Division one

Whitby Fisherman’s Society 2(Calvert 2) Newlands Park 2 (Exley 2)

Champions-elect Newlands Park dropped their first points of the season as the home side grabbed a valuable point in their battle to beat the drop from division one.

The home side took the lead with a fine first-half finish from Sam Calvert, but Sean Exley levelled the scores from the penalty spot just after the hour mark.

The visitors piled on the pressure and only the heroics of the home keeper Paul Cull, their man of the match, kept them at bay.

Whitby went back in front eight minutes from time through Calvert’s header from a Steve Swales free-kick and it looked like Park were heading for a shock defeat.

Exley equalised again with his second of the game three minutes later but the hosts hung on for what may be a crucial point in their battle against the drop.

Ayton 3 (Duggan, Roberts, Stubbings) Edgehill 1 (R Greening pen)

Ayton claimed a third win on the trot, triumphing 3-1 at home against a depleted Edgehill side.

TJ Duggan opened the scoring for the villagers, with youngster Josh Cooper setting up player-boss Steve Roberts to make it 2-0 before half-time.

Tyson Stubbings added a third with a chipped finish and although Ricky Greening struck a penalty for the visitors, Ayton hung on for the win despite a lot of pressure from the visitors.

Stand-in keeper Mark Vasey tipped a strong shot over the bar which could have seen Edgehill come back into the game.

Kieran Link and Kurtis Henderson shone for Edgehill, who were without seven first-team regulars.

Falsgrave 3 (Hansen 2, Short) Eastfield 4 (Wright, Thomas, Barber, L Tate)

Nine-man Eastfield dug deep for a stunning 4-3 win at Falsgrave.

Arran Wright put the visitors, who started with 10 men, ahead, slotting home after a one-on-one with the home keeper.

Aidan Thomas doubled the lead for Eastfield, and although the home side levelled with, a great midfield run and finish from Mark Barber put Eastfield, who had a man sent off at half-time to go down to nine men, back in front.

Falsgrave equalised again and looked to have grabbed a point but player-manager Lee Tate scored the winner for the determined Eastfield side.

Tate hailed the all-round effort of his depleted team in securing all three points.