SATURDAY LEAGUE: West Pier clinch title

West Pier were crowned Saturday League champions after beating Seamer Sports on Wednesday
West Pier were crowned Saturday League champions after beating Seamer Sports on Wednesday

West Pier won on the road at Seamer Sports to clinch the Division One title on Wednesday evening.

Andy Spivey’s side were crowned champions after a comfortable 3-0 success.

“This is the club’s fourth title in the last nine years, it’s been a great effort from everyone this season,” a delighted Spivey said.

Martin Cooper struck in the first half to put Pier in charge, and a brace from top-scorer Billy Logan rounded things off after the break.

Elsewhere in the top flight, Westover Wasps and Whitby Fishermen played out a 2-2 draw.

Aaron Leeman put the Whitby side ahead with just five minutes on the clock, but the Wasps scored twice before half-time to turn the game on its head.

Jack South bagged their first when he finished calmly after being sent clean through on goal and Chris Hannam hit the second.

The visitors earned themselves a share of the spoils thanks to Dan Smith’s second-half strike.

Striker Leeman was named as the Fishermen’s man of the match, while skipper Aidan McCallion was on top form for Westover.

Goal Sports missed out on the chance to secure promotion from Division Three after they were held to a goalless draw by Sherburn, a result which handed the title to FC Rosette, who can no longer be caught at the top of the table.

With both sides missing a number of players, chances were at a premium, and although Sports had the best opportunities, they were unable to find the back of the net.

Centre-half Keir Smith impressed for Mark Plumpton’s side who will be promoted on Saturday if they can beat Eastway Sports, but can no longer win the league.

First-placed Rosette sit 14 points clear at the summit and Sports have just four fixtures remaining.

A stellar campaign for the Newby-based pub side sees them return to the second division at the first time of asking after winning 17 out of 21 games so far.

Itis Itis Rovers continued their recent resurgence, beating Sleights Reserves by a 5-2 scoreline.

Taylor Humble’s left wing cross sailed over the home keeper’s head to give Sleights an early lead but Ross Kevan set up Sam Broadbent to level things up.

Jack Ramos’ penalty then moved Itis Itis ahead but Adam Entwhistle drilled a strike through a crowded box to tie the scores at 2-2.

The home side then pulled clear as the game wore on and a David Young header from a corner, Luke Jones’ strike into the top corner and a Ben Bradley effort wrapped up the points.

Humble was the Whitby outfit’s star man while Broadbent and Sean Bloom impressed for the victors.

Elsewhere in the basement division, Westover Wasps Reserves beat Fishburn Park Reserves 2-0.

Callum Myers netted both of the Wasps’ goals, the first from the penalty spot and the second from 25 yards out.

In the night’s only Division Two fixture, Filey Town Reserves bagged a 6-3 home win over out-of-form Scalby.

Richard Simpson, Ben Webster and Dan Argyle from the penalty spot were the men on target in a losing cause for the Otters.