Scarboro’ FA Harbour Cup: Big guns march on

Saturday League news
Saturday League news

The top teams cruised into the second round of the Scarborough & District FA Harbour Cup, with the likes of league leaders Newlands, champions West Pier, Edgehill, Eastfield and Filey Town all on winning form.

Newlands Park 11 (Logan 6, Exley 2, Dove, Fields, own goal) Cayton Corinthians 1 (Sixsmith)

The gap between division one leaders Park and second division strugglers Cayton was clear to see in this cup-tie, despite a determined effort by Shaun Rennison’s young village side.

Former Boro and Brid Town forward Billy Logan was the chief tormentor of the Cayton defence banging in six goals for the hosts, while ex-Scarborough Town ace Sean Exley also hit a first-half double.

Chris Dove, Kile Fields and an own goal capped the win for Park, Tom Sixsmith netting Cayton’s second-half consolation.

Newlands boss Shaun Mancrief said: “We played very well but you have to give credit to Cayton as they are a very young side who never stopped working until the final whistle.

“Josh Hakings was our man of the match for a great display on the left side of midfield.”

Ayton 2 (Roberts, Stevens) Hunmanby United 1

Player-manager Steve Roberts scored one and set the other up as Ayton booked their spot in the next round of the cup.

The ex-Pickering Town marksman showed all his experience with a neat turn and finish on the half-hour mark to give the hosts the lead at the break.

Roberts’ corner was then headed in by midfielder Danny Stevens to make it 2-0 and Ayton seemed to be coasting into the next stage of the competition, but United had other ideas and after they pulled a goal back the Sands Lane club piled on the pressure.

Ayton were forced to defend stoutly to hang onto their lead and secure the win.

Phil Meads was named as man of the match for Ayton for a commanding display at centre-back.

Ryedale Sports Club 1 (Rhodes pen) Filey Town 3 (Tomlinson 2, Sugden)

Ricky Tomlinson led Filey to a victory at Pickering, scoring twice and setting up the final goal for the visitors.

Winger Tomlinson put Filey ahead in the first half, but Jay Taylor’s side were slow to come out of the blocks in the opening 45 minutes.

After a stern half-time talk from Taylor the visitors came out in inspired mood, but it was the home side who scored next, Chris Rhodes firing home from the penalty spot after Adam Hornby had been fouled.

Tomlinson was then pushed up front by Taylor and this switch paid off when he smacked in his second goal in the 70th minute.

The star man’s persistence then created an opportunity for Liam Sugden to fire home the visitors’ third, booking their progress to the second round.

Taylor named Tomlinson as the man of the match but also singled out Jason Harrison for a strong display at centre-back, as he won almost everything in the air.

Seamer 0 West Pier 3 (Sygrove 2, one pen, M Cooper)

Pier also moved into the next round with a win at Seamner, with both sides missing several first-choice players.

The home side made a strong start, but their early impetus ground to a halt when key player Gregg Chadwick went off on the 15-minute mark with a groin injury.

After this Pier edged their way back into the game and on the stroke of half-time they took the lead, Sam Garnett - who stepped up successfully from the Pier second string - threading an inch-perfect through ball from central midfield to striker Gareth Sygrove who took the ball past the onrushing Seamer keeper Darrol Lewis and slid his effort into the empty net.

The home side had a great chance to level the scores but striker Rob Pinder chose to shoot when he could well have squared the ball to a teammate after taking the ball past Pier’s veteran stopper Scott Wardman.

Pier made the hosts pay for this missed chances as Sygrove struck home his second from the penalty spot after Neil Thomas had been felled by a clumsy challenge from Lewis.

Ten minutes from time, Martin Cooper tapped the ball in after Lewis failed to hold onto an effort from Mikey Barker - who had been a constant nuisance to the Seamer defence all afternoon.

Pier chief Andy Spivey said: “We had to bring two players up from the reserve team, Sam Garnett in midfield and Martin Young, 43, at centre-back, and both of them deserve to share the man-of-the-match award as they were on top form.”

Eastfield St James 3 (McCoubrey 2, K Tate) Westover Wasps 0

Drew McCoubrey struck twice to steer the home side to victory against a Wasps side who ended the game with only nine men due to injuries.

Despite being on top for the first hour Eastfield were unable to score, but McCoubrey’s fierce shot from the edge of the box broke the deadlock.

Chris Ferrey made a fine save to stop Paul Brugner’s effort but then striker Kris Tate added a second goal soon afterwards to end Wasps’ hopes of a cup shock, and right-sided midfielder McCoubrey wrapped up the win with a clinical finish late on.

Wasps’ cause was not helped by them having to promoted three reserve players to their starting line-up, and then in the closing minutes, Sam Flanagan and Shaun Wood were both carried off with knee injuries.

Left-back Lee Tate - who usually plays at right-back was man of the match for Dave Scott’s side, while Wasps boss Dave Gaddass chose stand-in centre-back Chris Hannam and keeper James Burrows as his top players.

Edgehill 9 (R Greening 3, L Cooper 3, Link, K Henderson, M Cappleman pen) Rillington Athletic 1

Ricky Greening and Liam Cooper both netted hat-tricks as Edgehill ran riot in this game.

Kieran Link marked his first game since moving from Falsgrave with a strike after 30 seconds, while Kurtis Henderson and a penalty from keeper Martin Cappleman completed the scoring for the hosts.

Chris Nelson was man of the match for the victors for a strong midfield performance.

Scalby 0 Edgehill Reserves 4 (Scales 2, Robinson, Jones)

Tom Scales gave his manager Dan I’Anson an early wedding present with a return to scoring form at Scalby.

I’Anson, who is getting married next Saturday, was delighted to see Scales break his barren spell for the Edgehill side at Scalby, scoring the opener after 20 minutes, lifting the ball over the keeper after forcing his way onto a Damian Robinson cross.

Marauding left-back Robinson then scored the second, his cross evading the home keeper and nestling in the top corner of the net.

Scales struck his second 10 minutes after the break and Dan Jones finished the scoring with a neat finish after a cracking pass from Dave Bell.

Centre-back Tom Hickin shone again for the visitors, with midfielders Jones and Tony Pickles also sharing the man-of-the-match award.

Falsgrave 3 (Ellis 2, Tolliday) Whitby Fishermans Society 1

A Nick Ellis double helped Falsgrave into the second round of the Harbour Cup.

Man of the match Ellis was a constant threat to the Fishermens defence, with Rich Tolliday netting the other goal. Lewis Short also shone for Billy Johnson’s troops.