Scarborough Athletic back on track after Lincoln victory

editorial image

SCARBOROUGH Athletic proved that there is still life left in the season when they eased Lincoln Moorlands Railway aside on Saturday afternoon.

Boro may be off the pace at the top of the NCEL Premier, but if they continue in this vein of form then they may sneak in under the radar.

A goalless draw looked to be on the cards in the early stages, but Boro’s lively attack soon clicked into their groove and Rudy Funk’s men strode clear.

It could have been a different story had Lincoln taken their chances in the opening exchanges.

Josh Nodder shook off the Boro defence, but he failed to hit the target, then Lee Beesley did get a shot in on goal, but it was straight down the throat of keeper Kevin Martin.

With play switching swiftly to the other end, Adam Lee found his way through on Martin’s opposite number Leigh Herrick, but the striker fluffed his lines and sliced wide.

Another scare followed for Boro, as the defence parted to allow Beesley a clear path, but the shot sailed over.

Lee again missed a guilt-edged chance when some glorious approach play by Tony Hackworth and Ryan Blott sent him away.

But the Boro pressure finally told a couple of minutes before the break, when a reckless foul on Blott by Adam Louth gave the referee no choice.

Hackworth jokingly tried to steal the ball from Boro’s regular penalty taker, but Blott snatched it back and despatched it into the bottom corner.

Debut-boy Wilf Dinsdale could have doubled the lead before the break, but he scuffed a Paddy Miller cross straight at the keeper.

Boro started the second half in confident manner, with an upped tempo catching Lincoln off guard.

Joe Naylor found some space in the box and saw his drive saved, the rebound fell to Lee, but his delightful dink struck the bar and bounced away.

The impetus was there, and minutes after Boro killed the game off with a quick-fire double salvo.

Hackworth powered through with a bullocking run, his shot was saved, but Herrick had no chance with Lee’s finish.

Then, just seconds after the restart, Lee fed strike-partner Blott in the box and he tucked the ball away into the bottom corner.

Things got even worse for Lincoln on 68 minutes when David Hone threw himself in front of a shot on the edge of the box.

The midfielder was given a second yellow card and he trudged away to leave his side with 10 men.

Boro could have put together a cricket score, but instead they took their foot off the gas and allowed Lincoln a lifeline.

The lively Ben Garrick did Dave Kemp for pace and the Boro defender swept away his legs inside the box. Skipper Luke Forbes neatly scored the penalty.

That was all Lincoln had to show though, as Boro began to reassert the pressure.

Sub Chris Hewitt hit the side-netting, Blott’s volley from a Gary Hepples cross was saved, and keeper Herrick continued to earn his corn in the very last minute. He produced an outstanding double save from Hewitt and Hackworth to keep a bit of respectability for his side.