Scarborough Athletic battle to Morpeth success

Scarborough Athletic played host to in-form Morpeth Town, who had picked up four wins in their last five games.

Thursday, 26th December 2019, 5:12 pm
Boro v Morpeth report

The home side, who were looking to bounce back from their 5-0 humbling at Buxton, started the fresher with them looking to get the ball down and create chances.

The first real chance of the game fell to Darren Kelly’s side as returning wing-back Wayne Brooksby managed to beat his man, find a cross which on-loan Connor Thomson fired high and wide.

In the ninth minute keeper Tommy Taylor was called into action when he saved a dangerous shot from Stephen Forster.

The visitors found themselves inches away from breaking the deadlock in the 15th minute with striker Carl Finnigan heading just wide after connecting with a long-throw.

Taylor was required again three minutes later as his side lost the ball and opposition captain Wayne Phillips unleashed a shot which was well saved to Taylor’s left.

James Walshaw had the game’s best chance in the 29th minute, keeper Dan Lawson clearing poorly straight to the striker’s feet only for him to take a touch and fire just over the bar.

The game came to a hold in the 33rd minute as a late tackle on Micheal Coulson sparked a brawl between both sets of players cumulating in Ryan Watson, Callum Williams and Liam Noble picking up yellow cards.

A feisty first-half ended with Boro dominating the ball but failing to break the deadlock.

The second-half began with Walshaw at the heart of another good chance for Kelly’s side.

Ryan Watson's volley looked set to be heading wide but the striker could stretch forward with his shot hitting the post.

Scarborough then had another chance to break the deadlock in the 49th minute. Brooksby managing to feed Walshaw, who fired the ball across the box and the sliding Thomson couldn’t connect.

In the 57th minute Walshaw was able to break the deadlock for his side. Thomson raced clear out wide, crossed the ball to the striker who turned and saw his shot find the bottom corner.

The goalscorer then found himself with an opportunity to double his sides lead but his shot curled agonisingly wide of the post.

Boro then looked to defend in numbers with Harry Coates and Isaac Assenso playing a vital part in the home-sides defence.

Deep into stoppage time striker Finnigan’s overhead kick hit the bar in what proved to be the games' last chance with Boro holding on to take the Boxing Day spoils.

With Scarborough picking up the three points it’s a uge bounce-back victory for Darren Kelly’s side as they turn their attentions to a New Year’s Day clash away to South Shields.