Scarborough Athletic hit magnificent seven in cup win against Staithes

Scarborough Athletic strolled to a 7-0 home win against Staithes Athletic in the North Riding FA Senior Cup on Tuesday night.

Tuesday, 26th November 2019, 11:01 pm
Updated Tuesday, 26th November 2019, 11:02 pm
Boro match report

With new boss Darren Kelly watching, Boro tackled the North Riding League at the Flamingo Land Stadium with Dave Merris in charge of the team for the tie.

The home side were able to see a lot more of the ball and looked to control proceedings from the kick-off.

The first real chance of the game fell to Wayne Brooksby, as he broke through the tackles but his curling shot was saved well by the legs of Staithes keeper Tom Beeforth.

Sign up to our daily The Scarborough News Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

In the 18th minute James Walshaw broke the deadlock, Chris Dawson managed to thread the ball through to Michael Coulson who squared it brilliantly for Walshaw to slot home.

Only two minutes later and Boro had the perfect chance to double their lead.

Left-back Brooksby was tripped inside the box as he went through on goal, the penalty however was saved well down to his left by Beeforth.

The lead was finally doubled in the 24th minute as Walshaw neatly dinked the ball over the oncoming keeper for 2-0.

The Coblemen had their first opportunity of the game in the 32nd minute, Ryan Thompson finding space in the middle of the park only to see his shot fly over the bar.

Walshaw completed his hat-trick in the 35th minute as midfielder Dawson unselfishly squared the ball across the box for him to calmly score to make it 3-0.

Coulson joined Walshaw on the scoresheet as T’nique Fishley crossed the ball for the captain to acrobatically head past the diving keeper for 4-0.

A fifth goal was added just before half-time, Coulson rifled home a dangerous shot past the keeper.

Scarborough added a sixth goal to their tally early in the second half as on-loan striker Connor Thomson curled a shot beautifully into the bottom right corner.

In the 70th minute the visitors had a chance of their own, substitute Aaron Dale heading a looped cross into the arms of Tommy Taylor.

In the 76th minute Boro's reserve goalkeeper Tom Morgan was introduced to lead the forward line for the home side and he almost made an immediate impact but his shot was put wide from close range.

Coulson wrapped up his hat-trick in the 81st minute, substitute Morgan whipping a delightful cross across the box only for it to fall to Kian Spence who unselfishly passed square to the captain for 7-0.

The final chance of the game fell to midfielder Ryan Watson whose driving shot flashed past the post..

Scarborough progressing through to the next round of the cup with a final at the Riverside Stadium a game closer.

MOTM: Chris Dawson – Dawson influenced many Scarborough’s attacking play with neat passes and dribbling to put the opposition under pressure.